V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

S197 V6 "Disco Potatos" Twin Turbo Project!

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/07, 10:40 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruisin
I still think a minimum of 2.5" on a turbo, the faster its out the better, even if its just to the cat. Its just me but I would hate to do my exhaust twice, good luck though and keep us posted
I understand.. However, its not like I am running a single turbo.. I am running twin turbos..

The SOHC 4.0 has seen 350RWHP with a single 2.5in exhaust.. I will be running twin with each turbo blowing out into 2.25in..

So my exhaust will have much better flow than a single 2.5in...

I will see what the top end HP looks like as well as EGT.. I have tons of research to do once the system is running..

Also, my downpipes will initially just dump to the bottom of the engine bay to start out.. I wont take it out back until after a few dyno pulls anyway..

However, I believe the SOHC 4.0 does not need more than 2.25in twin downpipes to make 400RWHP...

I will keep you guys posted... The first dyno will be done with engine bay downpipes.. Once I take it out back and dyno again, we will see if there is alot of restriction in the pipes.. I doubt it though..
Old 3/7/07, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MSP
Whats up Flajack! I got your PM, and back at ya with a reply!

How is your monster V6 doing? Your already at 400RWHP, so how does it feel as a daily driver?
I'll reply a bit later... hands full now.

The car is insane. It's still pretty streetable, as long as I go easy on the gas. It's a little less streetable since I installed the 3.73s, but I'm getting used to it.

I ordered a crapload of stuff from PH to deal with the traction problem. I already had their driveshaft and LCAs, so now I ordered the K-member brace with engine torque limiters (should help with the shifting problem), adjustable UCA w/poly bushings, anti-squat brackets, adjustable panhard bar, and 7.5" rear axle brace.

Finally, I ordered a set of 285/40R17s Goodyear F1s for the rear. If all this doesn't help me hook up, I don't know what will!

I'm gonna post this over at the Co||ective, too.
Old 3/7/07, 10:37 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by flapjack
I'll reply a bit later... hands full now.

The car is insane. It's still pretty streetable, as long as I go easy on the gas. It's a little less streetable since I installed the 3.73s, but I'm getting used to it.

I ordered a crapload of stuff from PH to deal with the traction problem. I already had their driveshaft and LCAs, so now I ordered the K-member brace with engine torque limiters (should help with the shifting problem), adjustable UCA w/poly bushings, anti-squat brackets, adjustable panhard bar, and 7.5" rear axle brace.

Finally, I ordered a set of 285/40R17s Goodyear F1s for the rear. If all this doesn't help me hook up, I don't know what will!

I'm gonna post this over at the Co||ective, too.
Good job man!! Dang I am so proud of you!! Do you have any new video's of that beast you dont mind sharing?
Old 3/14/07, 11:06 PM
MSP
Banned

Edited for future reference!
Old 3/28/07, 10:53 PM
MSP
Banned

S197 Twin Turbo fabrication is complete!!

Hey guys, just letting everyone know that the twin turbo fabrication is complete... Installation will begin in one week starting off at 6psi!!

Hopefully I am able to get to 340-375 with 6psi of boost...

This unit is built and designed for the S197 chassis.. Which means the design is suited for the V6 and V8 Mustang...

The V8 oil filter is on the drivers side, where as the V6 oil filter is on the passenger side of the car.. This means that feeders and downpipes will vary between the two motors... However it is not a problem for a good muffler shop...

Once I get a dyno sheet and pics posted for my setup, I will discuss with Brad an appropriate way in which to offer my design to the Mustang Source members for a fee..

I could just post the design blue prints on Ebay as well...

The unit is clean and well thought out in terms of design based exclusivley for our cars...

This unit places the twin turbo's in the engine bay, where as others are placing them under the car.. You can see my turbo's with the hood open...

This unit uses the factory cats in there original position in the engine bay and allows the use of twin T25-T3 or T4 turbos for the S197 chassis...

I am really quite proud of my work, and the clean nature of the unit is unbelievable.. The system can be used with Longtube headers as well..

My particular unit will have the downpipes dump into my Procchamber under the car..

This is crucial to keeping the unique sound of the 4.0.. The deep grunt the Prochamber produces will remain there in this way...

Later on this summer, I will be adding the Stainless Works Longtube headers to the system, and get another baseline pull..

So to sum it up, the unit retains the stock factory headers, CATS, can be used with longtube headers, and can fit both the V6 and GT Mustang!

See ya soon! Next time I post I will have pics and dyno sheets available for your scrutiny!!
Old 3/29/07, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

sounds like it is going well man!! that would be really cool to see a universal kit for the s197s!
Old 3/29/07, 08:07 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisc9867
sounds like it is going well man!! that would be really cool to see a universal kit for the s197s!
Thanks chrisc9867.. Wish me luck! Success for me is 400RWHP before 10psi.... The single Powerhouse Turbo is holding down the fort currently at 412RWHP and 435RWTQ @ 12psi...

Hopefully, the addition of a 2nd turbo will increase efficiency enough to allow 400RWHP to be obtainable with 10psi or less.. This is crucial for those of us who only have access to 91 octane gasoline...

If you live in the western states, a Twin Turbo is your only option for big HP on pump gas.. Do to the efficiency equations invloved..

The goal is airflow.. By increasing the efficiency of boost by doubling its intake volume at the same pressure, at a lower and more centralized location in regards to the compressor map a cooler much more dense boost charge will be created.. This lower threshold also keeps combustion chamber temperatures much cooler based on the overall lower level of psi or boost inside the engine.. Thus lowering compression ratio under boost..

All this adds up to increased VE and lower temperatures.. it is from this perspective that I hope to caputre 400RWHP before 10psi of boost is needed.. If I can accomplish this, it will be safe as a daily driver on 91 octane pump gas..

This will make me the first S197 V6 @ 400RWHP on Pump gas using 91 octane gasoline @ less than 10psi of boost with a factory stock engine, heads and cams, rods and pistons with factory headers...

My research and attention to detail hopefully will be rewarded really soon.. My contribution of a Twin Turbo option for both the S197 V6 and V8 is platform is only a secondary accomplishment which is placed after my lust for 400RWHP on pump gas with less than 10psi of boost..

However, it is still apart of the big picture none the less...

My Stainless Works Longtube headers should increase upon these gains when that time comes...
Old 3/29/07, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

That would be sweet. It took me 11lbs of boost + heads/cams to get 400RWHP....
Old 3/30/07, 02:22 AM
Bullitt Member

dang your system sounds really attractive....if only i was not a student and had a job...lol
Old 3/30/07, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Can you reach 600 hp if you go with forged pistons and increase the boost? It would be nice to achieve 100 hp per cylinder. **** japaneese cars ar getting close to 100 hp per cyl with their mitsubushi evo's.
Old 3/31/07, 01:51 AM
Bullitt Member

the new evos are putting out 400hp on the 4 banger....which is exactly 100hp per cyl

flapjack is putting down 400rwhp (which is about 460hp off the crank), with the procharger and a built engine, so with TT's it is possible....but i dunno if that is really the "smartest" approach to 600hp
Old 3/31/07, 02:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

last time i checked evos were putting down 286hp.

well the TT sounds like a great idea
can't wait to see the finished product
Old 3/31/07, 02:28 AM
Bullitt Member

that is the current evo, the new ones (coming 07 or 08?) are said to put out 400
Old 3/31/07, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

If anyone is interested in learning a lot about turbos check out this website http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm
Old 4/4/07, 08:35 PM

Great job MSP, looking forward to your final installation notes and dynos.
Old 4/5/07, 03:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Buckman
Great job MSP, looking forward to your final installation notes and dynos.
and track times????
Old 4/8/07, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think he finished building it yet. But hes getting close.
Old 4/8/07, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Seems like it. I like the overall design, but I'd like to see some more pictures.
Old 4/8/07, 11:43 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures would be pretty cool. This is a wonderful build to follow.
Old 4/13/07, 03:38 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by future9er24
Pictures would be pretty cool. This is a wonderful build to follow.
Just so you guys dont lose hope... Understand that I am doing my best to deliver on a promise to attain 400RWHP by 9-10psi.. I must avoid forums for awhile because it forces me to set time tables..

I cant set a time table of when perfection will be accomplished.. The engine compartment space is too small to just ***** nilly install all these parts.. Some parts may take as long as a week to figure out.. I still have a ways to go, but must take my time.. I often get headaches due to prologed bouts of contemplation... LOL!

I am all by myself on this project with noone there to guide me.. So with that in mind, here is one pic.. Thats all I feel comfortable sharing right now..

Yes, its a twin turbo baby!!

Quick Reply: S197 V6 "Disco Potatos" Twin Turbo Project!