V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Questions on Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/06, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When putting on my brace I noticed the it didn't just sit down on the towers, actually had to start to bolt one side down and then apply some pressure to the other side to get it on the tower so I could bolt it down, is this normal. Also it is actually touching the raised rib that runs down the center of the engine cover on the V6, that engine can still rock but it is touching the bar is this OK?
Kind of new to modding cars so I don't really know, any answers are appreciated.
Old 2/7/06, 10:46 PM
Cobra R Member

You have the aftermarket engine cover? I dont think itll fit correctly with a strut brace. As far as them being that way when you install them, yes its normal (to my knowledge, the few imports at my shop that ive installed do that)
Old 2/7/06, 10:59 PM
V6 Member

I don't have a after market on now it is touching the stock cover will this be a problem?

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 2/8/06, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

What kind of strut tower bar is it?
Old 2/8/06, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danalor @ February 8, 2006, 1:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't have a after market on now it is touching the stock cover will this be a problem?

Thanks for the quick response.
[/b][/quote]
well, since I can't see your setup, I'll just tell you my story with the tower brace. I got a cheap one at online action and it was touching the rib of the factory cover. I figured no big deal and went for a test drive. Well, I got a lot of squicks from brace rubbing on the cover. When I took it off, the paint on the botton of the brace was scraped off and there was a small indentation from rubbing in the cover itself. The engine vibrates when its on and more so when the car is in motion. Now, this could have been corrected by filing the cover a bit, but to me it's not a good solution. In my case I returned the brace and the seller was good and refunded me. However, handling with the brace on was noticeably improved. I am collecting a list of braces that don't fit V6 well. Could you please tell me yours, so I can add it to the list? Also, is your V6 a 2005 or 2006 model?
Old 2/8/06, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Steeda, and it is the opposite.

It is a little too high, and rubs on the hood liner.

I could care less about that though, and love the brace.
Old 2/8/06, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

I got the one from Granatelli, wanted the stainless look. Used some washers but the towers are actually on a angle so the bar is slightly lower on the back bar. Even with the washers I still touch slightly on the back bar. Talked with a rep over at granatelli and he said it won't be a problem (then again he works there), funny thing is they sell the same bar for both the V6 and GT. Had it in for a day now and no noticeable problems and the front end is a little stiffer in the turns.
Old 2/8/06, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess I would wait and see if there is a problem. If you don't hear the brace rubbing against the cover then you are probably OK.