V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

need help v6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/05, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all before i get hounded for not searching im new to this and didnt know what to search for , anyway

i got a buddy that wants to get a v6 thats at one of the houston dealers and they already added the 20 inch wheels and told him he DID NOT need to upgrade the breaks and my question is do the v6's come with the same size breaks as the GT's and in ya'lls opinion should he upgrade the breaks and to what size for the 20 inch wheels

sorry im a pain, i know, but he asked me if i knew anyone that would know the answer to this and i thought about you guys on this forum first

thanks
Old 3/11/05, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vc4life@March 11, 2005, 10:29 PM
first of all before i get hounded for not searching im new to this and didnt know what to search for , anyway

i got a buddy that wants to get a v6 thats at one of the houston dealers and they already added the 20 inch wheels and told him he DID NOT need to upgrade the breaks and my question is do the v6's come with the same size breaks as the GT's and in ya'lls opinion should he upgrade the breaks and to what size for the 20 inch wheels

sorry im a pain, i know, but he asked me if i knew anyone that would know the answer to this and i thought about you guys on this forum first

thanks
If I'm not mistaken the V8 brakes are larger...
Old 3/11/05, 11:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by vc4life@March 11, 2005, 11:29 PM

thanks
The rear brakes are the same size on both the V6 and GT - 300mm. The front brakes are larger on the GT - 316mm vs. 293mm on the V6.

20" wheels on a V6 is way too big, unless he wants to look like a pimp. 255/45-R18 on 9" rims is about the max I would go on a V6, and even that seems pointless unless you modify the suspension. Saleen uses 20" wheels on their GT, but they also mod the suspension and brakes.
Old 3/12/05, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

well he likes the way they look i just need to know if he is going to have to upgrade the breaks
Old 3/12/05, 11:19 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by vc4life@March 12, 2005, 10:55 AM
well he likes the way they look i just need to know if he is going to have to upgrade the breaks
Is he concerned about the way they work, or the way they look?

The standard brakes are going to look small inside of 20" wheels.

As far as how they work, I wouldn't want to try and guess. 20" wheels on a V6 is way out of factory spec, so there's no way to know for sure without doing intrumented testing.

Also, see the thread on V6 wheels and tires. It's been suggested that using larger wheels will adversely affect acceleration and braking, assuming the replacement wheel/tire combination weighs significantly more than the stock wheel/tire combination. Going up one size, say from 16" to 17", shouldn't be a problem, but going from 16" to 20" probably is. Some people have really screwed up the handling and braking on their SUVs and trucks (vehicles that already handle bad) by adding 20" wheels and tires.

Beside replacement brake rotors and calipers, he might be looking at new struts, springs, and shocks to get the handling right. I would talk to Steeda and/or Saleen, and get it done right.
Old 3/23/05, 01:07 PM

I must be old, I just don't get messing with a new car. The things look FANTASTIC as they are. But as long as aftermarket manufactures make stuff to bolt on, I guess people will do it, even if it mean making the vehical unstable and unsafe for the road... it's heck getting old..
Doug
Old 3/24/05, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anytime you increase the rolling resistance and the unsprung weight, you will need to upgrade the brakes and suspension components.