V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow SINGLE and DUAL exhaust kits PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on! Lets get some sound clips of the duals on the 05! If they're out, I wanna hear em!
Old 4/5/05, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gnn60gt500@April 4, 2005, 8:21 AM
The dual kits are available now, and the single should be available shortly-

The sound is very deep on the single system-

The dual system sounds similar to the system on the 99-04 V6 Mustangs....

Thanks-
Cool! Glad to hear that the single exhaust is soon to become available. Some of us are chomping at the bit (so to speak) to add a little thunder to our V-6's!!
Old 4/6/05, 08:00 AM

OK Guys, Newbie here trying to understand mechanics etc, so go easy on me! Haven't even got my baby yet, she arrives next week.

Looking at the pic of the dual system on the V6, isn't where the headers go down to a single pipe beofre opening out to the two again, going to be a choke point? This would explain why the HP gains on the dual and single were the same? Could the system be modified to run straight through and then connect via an X pipe?

First pic of the choke point (?) and a badly photoshopped pic of the proposed mod attached (if I've done it right!)

Could it work, or am I talking out of my rear?

[attachmentid=16962]
[attachmentid=16963]

Dan
Old 4/6/05, 09:59 AM
GT Member

We could have dont that, but we didnt like the dyno results from our test system-

It might make a few more peak hp, but if you looked at the total hp under the curve- it is not as good as the way we designed it-

Basically it hurt the numbers in the bottom end- this way gave nice numbers through out the entire power band-

Basically average power was higher based on our design-

so if you drag raced two V6 Mustangs- one with "true duals" and one the way we designed it-

The "true dual" car would pull it at the top of the RPM range- but not enough to make up for the difference when the "our way" car pulled it through the first 2/3rds of the power band-
Old 4/6/05, 10:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Brent, What intake was used on this V6 test car?? Stock, K&N Drop in, or CAI??? Just curious!
Old 4/6/05, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by danpendleton@April 6, 2005, 8:03 AM
OK Guys, Newbie here trying to understand mechanics etc, so go easy on me! Haven't even got my baby yet, she arrives next week.

Looking at the pic of the dual system on the V6, isn't where the headers go down to a single pipe beofre opening out to the two again, going to be a choke point? This would explain why the HP gains on the dual and single were the same? Could the system be modified to run straight through and then connect via an X pipe?

Dan
The other problem is this would require cutting the factory catted y-pipe ... obviously voiding the warranty on this rather expencive part !!

I had done the Y to H pipe conversion on my '98 V6 Mustang using a Pacesetter adapter. I was not all that keen on cutting my Y-Pipe, but at the time this was the only way to put on "bolt-in" duals. Well in 130k miles, I went through TWO Pacesetter adapters and the new owner has just put on a THIRD one at around 140-145k miles. The O.E. '96 Cobra system (409 SS) I put on has outlated TWO of Pacesetter's mild-steel adapters !!

Not wanting to deal with this again, I went with the Magnaflow 15717 Bolt-On kit for my 2004 V6 Mustang and could not be happier !!

Look at it this way ... GM has used a SINGLE PIPE back to dual mufflers or single muffler to dual tips on most (if not all) of their V8 powered performance vehicles since the mid-70's. This includes Corvettes, Camaros & Firebirds !! Not sure if the current generation Vette is still single, but the prior one was. I'm just so sick of this "true duals or no duals" mentality of many people on this site !! I consider us lucky that Ford has always designed the Mustang chassis to accept true duals.
The MN12 (89-97 T-Bird/Cougar) chassis is another design that will not accept a true-dual exaust system ... Ford could have done this to us with the 2005 redesign !!

Doug
Old 4/6/05, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

OK here is my Mustang.

I installed H-Pipe Dual Magnaflow, and I love it.

[attachmentid=16980]

[attachmentid=16981]

[attachmentid=16982]

I am getting a Top and Bottom Billet Grill installed, and a MMR's CAI this Friday

Cheers
Old 4/6/05, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

Mino, nice car! Anyway you can get sound clips for us?
Old 4/6/05, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Looks great, Euphoria. Looks like you put a cutout in the driver side bumper cover. How did you do this?
Old 4/6/05, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Grimlock@April 6, 2005, 2:43 PM
Looks great, Euphoria. Looks like you put a cutout in the driver side bumper cover. How did you do this?
I also plan to make an opening for the driver side muffler soon and would love to hear people's thoughts on doing this myself.
Old 4/6/05, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by orange3.9stang@April 6, 2005, 1:38 PM
The other problem is this would require cutting the factory catted y-pipe ... obviously voiding the warranty on this rather expencive part !!

I had done the Y to H pipe conversion on my '98 V6 Mustang using a Pacesetter adapter. I was not all that keen on cutting my Y-Pipe, but at the time this was the only way to put on "bolt-in" duals. Well in 130k miles, I went through TWO Pacesetter adapters and the new owner has just put on a THIRD one at around 140-145k miles. The O.E. '96 Cobra system (409 SS) I put on has outlated TWO of Pacesetter's mild-steel adapters !!

Not wanting to deal with this again, I went with the Magnaflow 15717 Bolt-On kit for my 2004 V6 Mustang and could not be happier !!

Look at it this way ... GM has used a SINGLE PIPE back to dual mufflers or single muffler to dual tips on most (if not all) of their V8 powered performance vehicles since the mid-70's. This includes Corvettes, Camaros & Firebirds !! Not sure if the current generation Vette is still single, but the prior one was. I'm just so sick of this "true duals or no duals" mentality of many people on this site !! I consider us lucky that Ford has always designed the Mustang chassis to accept true duals.
The MN12 (89-97 T-Bird/Cougar) chassis is another design that will not accept a true-dual exaust system ... Ford could have done this to us with the 2005 redesign !!

Doug
Thanks for the answer guys.. trust me, I don't have a mentality either way... just trying to understand the concepts! Great work Brent.. I'll be ordering the single as soon as possible.

Dan
Old 4/6/05, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Super Snake+April 6, 2005, 1:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Super Snake @ April 6, 2005, 1:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Mino, nice car! Anyway you can get sound clips for us?
[/b]

Thx, Dude. I'll try and get some clips with my camera later.
I am at work now.... its quite busy

<!--QuoteBegin-Grimlock
@April 6, 2005, 2:43 PM
[/quote]

Actually Franklin Mufflers in Santa Rosa, CA installed my Magna Flow and they did the mufler cut for free They have a specialized machine for doing those round cuts. Its quite a smooth cut, almost like factory done.
Old 4/7/05, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Euphoria@April 6, 2005, 12:21 PM
OK here is my Mustang.

[attachmentid=16980]

[attachmentid=16981]

[attachmentid=16982]

I am getting a Top and Bottom Billet Grill installed, and a MMR's CAI this Friday

Cheers

Wow- the second cut out was done very nicely......looks factory- :worship:
Old 4/10/05, 11:35 PM
Cobra R Member

would love to hear sound clips of the duals. Ricey noise is what im afraid of
Old 4/14/05, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Anyone know when Magnaflow is planning to release the Single muffler??? One would think that with all these people with V6's wanting to make Mods, the companies would be wanting to put stuff out faster. All kinds of stuff for the V8... little stuff for the V6, but twice as many 6'ers on the road.
Old 4/14/05, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Euphoria@April 6, 2005, 11:21 AM
OK here is my Mustang.

[attachmentid=16980]

[attachmentid=16981]

[attachmentid=16982]

Cheers

Wow, your car is amazing! They did a fantastic job on the cut out for the dual set up. I'm definately getting the Magnaflow duals on my car.
Old 4/14/05, 06:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Brent, If you did the "true dual" set-up as Dan suggested but you used an "X" Pipe to balance the back-pressure would that not be a great set-up for us V6 guy's? You guy's are the experts, however, I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do with mine. Please give us your advice.
Old 4/14/05, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought X pipes flowed even better than H pipes, so there would be even less backpressure.
Old 4/14/05, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by toronado+April 6, 2005, 4:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado @ April 6, 2005, 4:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Grimlock@April 6, 2005, 2:43 PM
I also plan to make an opening for the driver side muffler soon and would love to hear people's thoughts on doing this myself.
[/b][/quote]

When I did mine I took a piece of cardboard and traced theoutline of the right side cutout, then cut the cardboard to match it. I moved it over to the left, measured off the distance and cut using a razor blade following the template. I took a dremel and rounded off the rough spots. You cant tell the difference unless you're looking for it.
Old 4/15/05, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jsheehan@April 14, 2005, 7:02 PM
I thought X pipes flowed even better than H pipes, so there would be even less backpressure.

OK I am back, I was out for a week or so.

I asked the guy when I installed my exaust and he said that they did some testing and that the Performance gain by using X-pipe is very small "un-noticable" comparing to H-pipe performance gain, but is way more expensive, so he recomended me the H-pipe.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow SINGLE and DUAL exhaust kits PICS!