V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow 2¼” by 14” Duals on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/06, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Randy’s Custom Exhaust in Marysville, WA build a great set of dual pipes for my V6 Mustang. Randy has what is, in my opinion, a great ability to design and build a wonderful looking and sounding system. Price for the system was less than $500. Here is a sound clip taken with a camera sitting in the back seat, with the windows-up. The recorder compresses the sound file, so please be advised that it unnaturally jacks-up the volume during the cruise periods:
http://bridavis.flat-networks.com/magnaflow.mp3

Photo one of four: Looking back from just behind the catalysts (cats left installed in the car) toward the rear axle.
Old 1/29/06, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Photo two of four: The view from further back. The pipes are not lower than any other part of the car, so scraping isn’t a problem.
Old 1/29/06, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Photo three of four: This pipe design goes UNDER the rear axle. When the vehicle is lifted by the body, the rear axle just touches the pipes.
Old 1/29/06, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Photo four of four: The left-side Magnaflow 2¼” by 14” muffler. To get the rear valance exhaust pattern transferred from the right to the left, use a slightly heavy stock piece of paper (not cardboard). Cut-out just enough of the paper to straddle the stock pipe, so that the paper will lie smoothly on the curved bumper contour. Using a pencil, trace the outline of the outer exhaust opening, then cut this paper pattern out with scissors. Once you get the shape perfectly matching, flip this pattern over to the other side. I had masking tape on the left side of the bumper to draw onto it the reverse pattern. After final checks, I very slowly and with light pressure cut the opening with a box knife. Taking your time is key here, as you don't want to slip and cut beyond your opening.
Old 1/29/06, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta fix ur photos but man does that sound good
Old 1/29/06, 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

hrmmm.... under the rear axle... interesting

So does it feel any faster? Give us some impressions man

Also, are you running the stock 3.31 gear ratio with ur TT?
Old 1/29/06, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 29, 2006, 1:43 PM
hrmmm.... under the rear axle... interesting

So does it feel any faster? Give us some impressions man

Also, are you running the stock 3.31 gear ratio with ur TT?
Yes, I have the photos fixed now. I have had this exhaust on the car since October, and I really can't quantify if it is faster. I suspect that it is slightly. In addition, I have the stock axle ratio (3.31:1) with the TrueTrac. It has plenty of passing power in third gear to be safe, while I still get great mileage.
Old 1/29/06, 02:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Thats good to hear. I only went to 3.73's cuz my driving has now shifted to mostly city driving. And im tryin to reach my n/a goal of 13.99. lol
Old 1/29/06, 02:36 PM

Defintiely nice work on running the pipes! Hard to tell how she sounds from the sound clip, but I'm sure it sounds good.
Old 1/29/06, 02:39 PM
MSP
Banned

I am often amazed at all the people we have that own V6's, and take it upon themselves to contribute to the community selflessly!

I wouldnt give up owning a V6 for nothing, because I just dont think I could replace the bunch of guys around here that contribute.. LOL!!

There is one thing about the V6 in itself which you really cant do without.. Its the community of people which truely do make owning a V6 fun...

Good Job Gearhead! Your muffler guy does real good work.. Which is the secret to getting a good sounding exhaust.. You must know of a shop which has someone capable of doing quality work... Someone who takes their time to get all the details worked out... The car sounds great Gearhead.. Nice contribution, and thanks for taking the time to put it all together and post it!!
Old 1/29/06, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by MSP@January 29, 2006, 4:42 PM
I am often amazed at all the people we have that own V6's, and take it upon themselves to contribute to the community selflessly!
I wouldnt give up owning a V6 for nothing, because I just dont think I could replace the bunch of guys around here that contribute.. LOL!!

There is one thing about the V6 in itself which you really cant do without.. Its the community of people which truely do make owning a V6 fun...

Good Job Gearhead! Your muffler guy does real good work.. Which is the secret to getting a good sounding exhaust.. You must know of a shop which has someone capable of doing quality work... Someone who takes their time to get all the details worked out... The car sounds great Gearhead.. Nice contribution, and thanks for taking the time to put it all together and post it!!

I have to echo MSP's thoughts on this one. Job well done!!
We have a good group here, and excellent new members show up all the time.

Man, I can't wait for this years track season, I know it's gonna be killer!
Old 1/29/06, 03:36 PM
Cobra R Member

rygen, gonna show us some 12s?
Old 1/29/06, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by MSP@January 29, 2006, 4:42 PM

Double post.
Old 1/29/06, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Fazm@January 29, 2006, 5:39 PM
rygen, gonna show us some 12s?

LOL, yea right. Let me get some time slips in this car first.
Old 1/29/06, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Dont sell yourself too short. If you hope for 13s you will get 13s, if you hope for 12s you will get 12s
Old 1/29/06, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Fazm@January 29, 2006, 6:02 PM
Dont sell yourself too short. If you hope for 13s you will get 13s, if you hope for 12s you will get 12s
Ok, I want to hit 12.8 this season.
Old 1/29/06, 04:23 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 29, 2006, 3:15 PM
Ok, I want to hit 12.8 this season.

And if you hope for 11.5's, you will get 11.5's.. LOL!! Thats my hope! I have set the bar quite high for myself.. However, anything less than 11.5 in my opinion is not worth talking about for me.. So as I gaze out over the horizon, I invision a dream I am determined to make come to pass..

In my scenario, I can only lose to myself.. The guy in the other lane is just along for the ride... Well, better go ahead and enter the waterbox! As I ease out the clutch and dump it, the Supercharger comes to life!! It sounds like a jet engine getting ready for take off.. The tires create a smoke cloud so large, I disappear in front of your very eyes... I quickley let off the gas, and you hear the blowoff valve create a loud whoooosh!! I think to myself, ok here goes... As I stage, I glance over at the 2004 Cobra, and wonder how in the world I can actually pull this off.. He is stock, so in that I take alittle comfort.. The light turns yellow... He reves.. I inch forward.. I rev!... The 2nd yellow light drops, and just as it dissappears, I dump it!!

Tune in next week, as we take a trip to the first 1/8th marker!! LOL!!

I gotta have a dream guys!! Without a dream, we are nothing but an empty soul!!
Old 1/29/06, 04:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Wait, are you really going to the 1/8th this week? lol
Old 1/29/06, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, nice and different exhaust system! I think it's a novel approach, piping under the axle. And it sounds good and "throaty"!

If I read it right, you have had this on for 2-3 months now? Any issues to date?

Mine was great initially, but now I have something that starts to rattle from time to time---need to get it up and bend something somewhere!
Old 1/29/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

it's not the greatest clip, but from what I can tell it sounds nice and gutsy. Very innovative approach... nice job!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 2¼” by 14” Duals on a V6