V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Lets' talk gears / T-Lok's

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/12, 05:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets' talk gears / T-Lok's

First off my car is a weekend / few times a month pleasure driver. No track. No daily driver. No rain or snow. Just plain fun car.

Now the one wheel burnout is lamentable as I'm sure we all agree. This needs to go. I'd like to purchase a T-Lok for it but 1. Can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock anymore and 2. many folks recommend changing the gears at the same time too. If my research is right I have the standard 3:31:1 gears that came with the car.

What would you folks recommend to be the best course of action and is this something that can be undertaken in a garage on the weekend. Thanks as always.
Old 8/13/12, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a 7.5 t lok, 3.73 gears and a install kit from am a couple yrs ago for around $400 and did the install over a weekend. but that was then, so to speak. now, like you said, you cant find the 7,.5 t lok. a guy i know found one on ebay last month and paid $300 for it ( 100 more than they used to be) but other wise getting hard to find. he had his installed by a shop, not sure what he paid

for the diy`r, installing just a t lok is one thing, and not too bad of a job. and installing gears is another. you`ll need some special tools and skills to do gears. so thats one choice. not sure what happened to the tloks, but you might find some other brand differential for reasonable.

another option is to find a used 8.8 rear end. that could be swapped in the garage over a weekend by just removing all the suspension. more doable than gears for the diy`r. there are still 8.8 takeoff rear ends around, but your looking at $1000 for the 3.31, up to $1300 for one with gears and freight shipping up to a couple hundred. aside from the cost, thats the way to go.

heres a good article about installing gears, kinda general info.
http://www.differentials.com/install.html