V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Just installed Duals on the V6

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05 | 06:36 PM
V6 Member

Hey guy and gals. I just had my dual GT take-offs installed on the V6 today. The local custom exhaust shop installed it without the hangers for the left side exhaust, just did some fab work to mount it. I definately did NOT expect the sound difference to be this LOUD. I'm getting a large drone around 1900 rpm, must more than what I expected. Also, I noticed once I got the car home after "giving it the business", that at idle, there is a "flutter", almost like there is something stuck in the pipes, a plastic bag almost kinda sound. I'm not a mechanic, so it's hard to explain. Also, I noticed a burning smell once I got home. Am I to assume this is just "crap" burning off from the welds? Last the side without the factory hanger sits a little bit higher than the right. I SHOULD expect the guy to fix this right??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TIM

I know, useless without pics, but I don't have a camera on me today. Soon...soon...
Old 8/22/05 | 06:43 PM
I Have No Life

Tim, I am moving this over to the proper category
Old 8/22/05 | 09:03 PM
GT Member

Tim,

I had duals installed also... Did they cut the bumper for the driver's side exhaust? The tailpipe isn't too close to your bumper and is melting it... is it?

I've heard of others having a backfiring or sputtering after putting duals on the v6, but that was duals from the cats back. Is that what you have? Or did they just reverse y after the factory y at the cats? I've also heard of folks putting an h-pipe nd that fixes this problem. I had the shop put an h-pipe from the get-go so I'm not sure if it's a common problem or not.

Also, I would take it back and tell them to level the exhaust so it comes out at the same "height" on both sides. They should be able to do that easily and you are right to expect that.

Hope this helps...
Old 8/22/05 | 09:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Take it back, and from what I understand you got a complete system off a GT, starting from the cat's all the way back.
If they are a reputable shop they should guarantee their work for at least a good while, and should fix any of their mistakes free.
Good luck with the fix, let us know how it goes.
Old 8/22/05 | 09:14 PM
GT Member

ManEHawke

Totally agree with your post... Any shop should warranty the work they do. I've still got to take my back for a rattle that just popped up with my duals when I get on it... But it seems after the exhaust warms up, it goes away...I'm going to have them look at it anyway.
Old 8/22/05 | 09:38 PM

I would have it checked for leaks. That may be what is causing the fluttering.
Old 8/22/05 | 11:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Make sure that you have a cross-over "H-Pipe" installed between the sides of the exhaust. Without it, it will pop, or flutter as you describe it.