V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/05, 08:25 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zodiac@November 11, 2005, 7:06 AM
Though I think Scrming would see larger gains than the rest of us, I think 30 rwhp might be pushing it a bit.

I dont see how 4.10 gears would make a car any louder, its just going to rev a whole lot quicker.

In my experience, headers will usually make the car much rev-happier. It can breathe easier, make sense.

As for getting a recording... In the last week Ive tried two different computer mics with my laptop, and four different digital cameras. They all have been overloaded no matter how far away I seem to stand. If you're close enough for it to pick up the car at idle, itll go crazy on the revs. If you're far enough away it doesnt distort on the revs, its too far for it to pick up the car at idle. Such a tiresome process!

Thumbs up to headers. I wanna see someone with some longtubes!

Zodiac, there is a mic gain on the laptop software, which is seperate from the volume.. You have to put this mic gain almost all the way down, to get a good recording.. I had the same problem before..

What you need to do is click on the little speaker in the far right hand bottom corner of the screen, if your using WindowsXP.. I'll do it in a line up.

1. Double left click on small speaker in bottom far right of screen..

2. Goto Options in top upper left of window

3. Scroll down to properties

4. Enable the Mic tab by setting a Tic in it..

5. Slide mic gain towards bottom...

Should look like this..

Basically, you have your mic gain up to much.. They are real sensitive..

I anxious to here your.. You have the XPIPE I believe..
Old 11/11/05, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 11, 2005, 10:28 AM
Zodiac, there is a mic gain on the laptop software, which is seperate from the volume.. You have to put this mic gain almost all the way down, to get a good recording.. I had the same problem before..

What you need to do is click on the little speaker in the far right hand bottom corner of the screen, if your using WindowsXP.. I'll do it in a line up.

1. Double left click on small speaker in bottom far right of screen..

2. Goto Options in top upper left of window

3. Scroll down to properties

4. Enable the Mic tab by setting a Tic in it..

5. Slide mic gain towards bottom...

Should look like this..

Basically, you have your mic gain up to much.. They are real sensitive..

I anxious to here your.. You have the XPIPE I believe..

Good tip!!! I will give that a try as well and put up another sound file.
Old 11/11/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mic gain was almost all the way down! Believe it or not hehe...

Every recording I managed to get from even up to 10 ft awake was cracked and horrible. The recordings sound nothing like my car. They come out sounding high and raspy for some reason. Nothing like my car.

I have dual Flowmasters w/ short resonators and an H-pipe. Recieved many comments on it last night at the track, and a few people were convinced I had a really quiet v8 based on the runs I was making.

PS: Broke into the 14s with just my exhuast mods
Old 11/11/05, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 11, 2005, 12:21 PM
Mic gain was almost all the way down! Believe it or not hehe...

Every recording I managed to get from even up to 10 ft awake was cracked and horrible. The recordings sound nothing like my car. They come out sounding high and raspy for some reason. Nothing like my car.

I have dual Flowmasters w/ short resonators and an H-pipe. Recieved many comments on it last night at the track, and a few people were convinced I had a really quiet v8 based on the runs I was making.

PS: Broke into the 14s with just my exhuast mods

Cool!!! 14's with only exhaust mods is really good. Good job.
Old 11/13/05, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Cleveland@November 10, 2005, 7:31 PM
Shorties net about 5 or less if I look at all sources.

Long tubes have been seen to produce more than 20 on both hp and torque. I'll eventually get to the dyno to see what I can get out of mine with a custom dyno tune compared to the internet tune.

-Dan

Question on this, I read the long tubes favor lower RPM hwile short tubes favor higher rpm performance. So, since I am running 4.10's, isn't logical to stick with shorty headers as most of my engine use will be in the higher RPM's? I read for 1/4 mile racing you want to stick with shorty headers with large diameter.

I'm still a novice when it comes to modding cars so if anyone with some experience can chime in that would be great.

I'm interested in headers for performance, not for sound.
Old 11/13/05, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Actually as far as I know it's the other way around. Since Shorty's are more 'restrictive' that long tubes, they will be great for low-end. The longtubes will flow too much at low rpms, and will benefit at higher speeds since the engine is breathing it's full capacity.
Old 11/13/05, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by ManEHawke@November 13, 2005, 1:36 PM
Actually as far as I know it's the other way around. Since Shorty's are more 'restrictive' that long tubes, they will be great for low-end. The longtubes will flow too much at low rpms, and will benefit at higher speeds since the engine is breathing it's full capacity.

Hmmm, ok, I will need to sort this out. Cause I have conflicting information and if headers are in my future, I need to know which is better.

thanks for the response. Do you have any links on this?
Old 11/13/05, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Long tubes will let the car breathe alot easier than shorties will, makes sense to me they'd pull harder through the upper rpms. I usually hear of people using long tubes on NA applications, and shorties under boost. I really cant speak much on the topic though, ill find out when I can and get back if someone hasnt already. Remember long tubes will knock out your cats too, so thats less restriction.. probably net a very few hp off that alone.
Old 11/13/05, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

ok my post was horrible. let me sort this out.
heres the claim " long tubes favor lower RPM while short tubes favor higher rpm performance"
What I've actually seen is how neither is heavily biased at a set RPM range. You may see more out of the Longtubes all around compared to shorty's, but the Longtubes will really shine at WOT. The shorties will shine on their own at lower rpms, while it's possible the lontubes still can beat the shorties perfomance all around.

That's a rough cut on it, and with later posts we can clean up this topic
Old 11/13/05, 12:17 PM
MSP
Banned

Since I am heavily in the court of the genuine XPIPE exhaust design, I will be planning on going the longtube header route.. I have a feeling the longtubes will greatly benefit our motors..

Are there any longtubes on the market for our cars yet? I know SSM has a pair on their site, but those may be for the 3.8L engine.. ??
Old 11/13/05, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by MSP@November 13, 2005, 2:20 PM
Since I am heavily in the court of the genuine XPIPE exhaust design, I will be planning on going the longtube header route.. I have a feeling the longtubes will greatly benefit our motors..

Are there any longtubes on the market for our cars yet? I know SSM has a pair on their site, but those may be for the 3.8L engine.. ??

I have been looking for headers, and all I can find is shorty's from JBA and MAC. I will probably wait this one out till the market matures, but I was hoping to have headers in when my nitrous goes in for next season. Hopefully, someone will come out with more products before then.
Old 11/13/05, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 13, 2005, 2:22 PM
I have been looking for headers, and all I can find is shorty's from JBA and MAC. I will probably wait this one out till the market matures, but I was hoping to have headers in when my nitrous goes in for next season. Hopefully, someone will come out with more products before then.

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Headers.htm

Still searching for other places that have them.
Old 11/13/05, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 13, 2005, 3:28 PM
http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Headers.htm

Still searching for other places that have them.
Are the JBAs really worth twice as much as the MACs? I mean really.
Old 11/13/05, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wonder that too, and why. MAC has a smidge larger diameter 1 5/8 VS 1 1/2. They are in Ceramic finish already.
Only things I see with JBA and wonder if it would make it worth it are its laser cut flanges, and it's dome collector to seal. JBA comes with gaskets and hardware too, I wonder if the MAC just uses existing hardware pieces.
Regardless that is still quite a difference in pricing
Old 11/13/05, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

If our headers are as "advanced" and well designed as everyone has commented on them being, I wonder if shorties will even see a conducive power gain at all? Can anyone run a comparison of stock headers v. shorties? I know they cant be much longer, how much volume and air flow will they allow? It may be minimal.. that would make long tubes the only acceptable way to go, imo anyway.

JBA has higher quality standards than MAC in my experience, but I cant fault MAC for quality here lately. I know some people have had troubles in the past but I think those days are long gone. Ill be going with MAC b/c of pricing when I get to installing headers.
Old 11/13/05, 02:06 PM
MSP
Banned

Thats an absolutley insane price for a pair of headers.. For all my V8 Mustangs, I have never paid that much for headers.. Even my Hooker Headers for my 66 Mustang were only $300 bucks.. I was pissed off at that.. So there is no way I'll even consider the JBA's over the Macs, based on priced alone.. If I have to eat a 5HP gain, then so be it.. I'll make it up somewhere else..

JBA is nuts, and this proves how greedy they are, and not to concerned with gaining momentum in our vastley increasing market... :notnice:

I'm referring to the Chrome ones.. My eyes cant even focus correctly on the ones that appear to say $629... LOL!! They have gone completely off the deep end.. Unless they can promise me a 60HP gain, they are nuts!! I cant believe it.. They think we are all really dumb!
Old 11/13/05, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by MSP@November 13, 2005, 4:09 PM
Thats an absolutley insane price for a pair of headers.. For all my V8 Mustangs, I have never paid that much for headers.. Even my Hooker Headers for my 66 Mustang were only $300 bucks.. I was pissed off at that.. So there is no way I'll even consider the JBA's over the Macs, based on priced alone.. If I have to eat a 5HP gain, then so be it.. I'll make it up somewhere else..

JBA is nuts, and this proves how greedy they are, and not to concerned with gaining momentum in our vastley increasing market... :notnice:

I'm referring to the Chrome ones.. My eyes cant even focus correctly on the ones that appear to say $629... LOL!! They have gone completely off the deep end.. Unless they can promise me a 60HP gain, they are nuts!! I cant believe it.. They think we are all really dumb!

Very true, lets just hope MAC headers don't suffer from the same issues as their exhaust systems. I have recently read horror stories about MAC support. But right now, our choices are slim.
Old 11/13/05, 02:29 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 13, 2005, 1:19 PM
Very true, lets just hope MAC headers don't suffer from the same issues as their exhaust systems. I have recently read horror stories about MAC support. But right now, our choices are slim.
Looking around, it appears the prices of headers have dobuled in the past few years though.. It appears its not just JBA who are price gouging.. They all are..

I say we wait for awhile.. But I would love to have a pair of Longtubes for our cars available soon..
Old 11/13/05, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 13, 2005, 4:32 PM
Looking around, it appears the prices of headers have dobuled in the past few years though.. It appears its not just JBA who are price gouging.. They all are..

I say we wait for awhile.. But I would love to have a pair of Longtubes for our cars available soon..
MAC makes longtubes now.

http://www.lmperformance.com/5660/73.html
Old 11/13/05, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 13, 2005, 4:41 PM
MAC makes longtubes now.

You got a link for those?

Quick Reply: Installing headers