V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/05, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the JBA headers on my 05 V6, I really liked them... made the car sound a lot better and gave it a little more kick. I guess it depends on what you like, but I thought it was worth the money.
Old 11/10/05, 10:48 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@November 10, 2005, 2:13 AM
I have yet to see a before and after dyno sheet... but people i trust say 3 to 4 RWHP... just not worth the $$$ in my opinion...
I think in your case Scrming, you would see a much larger gain..

I think you would benefit bigtime from these headers... I would imagine in your case, you could see a jump from 253RWHP to about 285RWHP.. Maybe.. Just a wild guess.. Next season still a ways away... Just a thought..
Old 11/10/05, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 10, 2005, 12:51 PM
I think in your case Scrming, you would see a much larger gain..

I think you would benefit bigtime from these headers... I would imagine in your case, you could see a jump from 253RWHP to about 285RWHP.. Maybe.. Just a wild guess.. Next season still a ways away... Just a thought..

I was thinking the same thing, that headers would be a real benfit with a major power adder. However, wouldn't that then imply that replacement of the stock cats, and going to true duals with no X, H or Y pipes would see real gain when running with a power adder and headers?
Old 11/10/05, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scrming@November 10, 2005, 6:13 AM
I have yet to see a before and after dyno sheet... but people i trust say 3 to 4 RWHP... just not worth the $$$ in my opinion...
I think for most people it's more about the sound than the hp gain.
Old 11/10/05, 02:13 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL!! Conversing with a squirrel.. Do it all the time! Toughest set of headers for me was set of long tube headers on my old 1966 289 Hi-Po..
I did Headers on a customers 66 289 hipo in just over an hour. But this was at my shop, with somewhat correct tools (just kept forgetting standard and not metric lol).
Old 11/10/05, 02:45 PM
Cam Tease

"
"

30hp is wayyy generous, at least 50% more than is even possible. Maybe if the stock manifold was exhaling through 1/2 inch diameter holes you could see a gain like that, lol.
Old 11/10/05, 05:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 10, 2005, 5:48 PM
"
"

30hp is wayyy generous, at least 50% more than is even possible. Maybe if the stock manifold was exhaling through 1/2 inch diameter holes you could see a gain like that, lol.
True, the stock exhaust headers are pretty good. You won't see that big of a gain, maybe 10hp.
Old 11/10/05, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Shorties net about 5 or less if I look at all sources.

Long tubes have been seen to produce more than 20 on both hp and torque. I'll eventually get to the dyno to see what I can get out of mine with a custom dyno tune compared to the internet tune.

-Dan
Old 11/10/05, 05:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

main reason I was going with the headers was to get a better sound, especially with the X pipe. The gas miliage and HP increase is a bonus right now to me!
Old 11/10/05, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

The sound improvement with headers is significant, much louder plus quicker revs. Upon install, I noticed an immediate difference in torque... she just seemed to want to go. Yeah... it may not have been a huge difference in power, but I've been very pleased with the mod. According to jba's dyno on the Ranger's 4.0, they picked up 17 rwhp with headers and a cat-back exhaust... I'd guess we get very similar gains on our cars.

Wish I had dyno numbers, but can't justify spending the cash until I get an intake and tuner.

The mailman near my work was behind my car when I started it up yesterday. Before I pulled away, he walked past and commented... "sounds like a bad boy!" I was grinnin'
Old 11/10/05, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 10, 2005, 8:30 PM
The sound improvement with headers is significant, much louder plus quicker revs. Upon install, I noticed an immediate difference in torque... she just seemed to want to go. Yeah... it may not have been a huge difference in power, but I've been very pleased with the mod. According to jba's dyno on the Ranger's 4.0, they picked up 17 rwhp with headers and a cat-back exhaust... I'd guess we get very similar gains on our cars.

Wish I had dyno numbers, but can't justify spending the cash until I get an intake and tuner.

The mailman near my work was behind my car when I started it up yesterday. Before I pulled away, he walked past and commented... "sounds like a bad boy!" I was grinnin'

Cool!!! I was waiting for you to chime in Hamidlmt.

I'm thinking the gains would vary depending on other mods to the car. Logically speaking, wouldnt you net more gains with better headers if you had a larger throttle body, cai, high flow cats, exhaust, etc? I am trying to look at it from a collection of mods with the right tune and power adder. And they all add up.....sure, they are like $450..but this is one you and a budy can do yourself and save on the labor costs.

Thoughts?
Old 11/10/05, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rygen... no prob!

Ya know... when our 4.0L's first came, all the talk was about how plugged up Ford made the exhaust, so it wouldn't so directly compete with the GT. Since headers are the first in the chain, it makes sense to go with something more freely flowing.

I went through of a bit of a progression with my exhaust mods. First I added a GT-take-off axle-back. It's a really nice improvement over stock... a mean, lower grumble that's very pleasing. Then, I added the jba shorties to that setup. When I first fired up the car, I simultaneously jumped and grinned! The sound truly surprised me! Much louder... revs seemed harder and faster. And, I squeeled that right rear tire, without meaning to, out of my installer's parking lot. Adding duals has really rounded out the sound and I really dig it. It's never too loud to be annoying, never import sounding. When you're at idle, it growls. When you stomp on it, it roars. Sure, it's never going to be a V8... but, it's a really nice sounding V6! The titanium finish, ceramic coating also keep the engine bay a bit cooler. Over the past many months, it's seemed to have mellowed, taken some of the rasp out of it, but may have gotten a little louder. I tried to make another sound clip on my Powerbook just recently and it overloaded the mic input. Didn't do that last time, just after the install, when I made the clip that's available in several threads.

All of these mods... intake, throttle body, exhaust, etc... they're all going to let air both in and out faster, more efficiently. Plug up either end and it creates restriction, eh?

I'm not a car guy... heck, I'm a massage therapist and a musician... can't let my hands get busted up by working on cars anymore. But, these boards have been tremendously informative and educational. Thanks to all for posting your insights and questions!
Old 11/10/05, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 10, 2005, 9:43 PM
Rygen... no prob!

Ya know... when our 4.0L's first came, all the talk was about how plugged up Ford made the exhaust, so it wouldn't so directly compete with the GT. Since headers are the first in the chain, it makes sense to go with something more freely flowing.

I went through of a bit of a progression with my exhaust mods. First I added a GT-take-off axle-back. It's a really nice improvement over stock... a mean, lower grumble that's very pleasing. Then, I added the jba shorties to that setup. When I first fired up the car, I simultaneously jumped and grinned! The sound truly surprised me! Much louder... revs seemed harder and faster. And, I squeeled that right rear tire, without meaning to, out of my installer's parking lot. Adding duals has really rounded out the sound and I really dig it. It's never too loud to be annoying, never import sounding. When you're at idle, it growls. When you stomp on it, it roars. Sure, it's never going to be a V8... but, it's a really nice sounding V6! The titanium finish, ceramic coating also keep the engine bay a bit cooler. Over the past many months, it's seemed to have mellowed, taken some of the rasp out of it, but may have gotten a little louder. I tried to make another sound clip on my Powerbook just recently and it overloaded the mic input. Didn't do that last time, just after the install, when I made the clip that's available in several threads.

All of these mods... intake, throttle body, exhaust, etc... they're all going to let air both in and out faster, more efficiently. Plug up either end and it creates restriction, eh?

I'm not a car guy... heck, I'm a massage therapist and a musician... can't let my hands get busted up by working on cars anymore. But, these boards have been tremendously informative and educational. Thanks to all for posting your insights and questions!

Hmmmmmm. MY car is really loud now, once my 4.10s are in.....it will be louder....I might have to rethink headers.
Old 11/10/05, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

it's never too loud.. never gets annoying... it's just such a change over stock
Old 11/10/05, 09:24 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@November 10, 2005, 4:09 PM
True, the stock exhaust headers are pretty good. You won't see that big of a gain, maybe 10hp.

Of course I meant while squeezin.. You dont think thats reasonable while he is on the juice? I understand a N/A situation, but Scrming is squeezin, I dont think its out of the question he could possibly 30HP..

I'll bet anyone here, he can get that much with the headers while squeezin..

When I discuss Scrming, it should be understood its from a point of him squeezin.. Not N/A..
Old 11/10/05, 09:30 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 10, 2005, 8:13 PM
it's never too loud.. never gets annoying... it's just such a change over stock

Thats sounds nice hamidlmt! When you have time, is it possible for you to get us a sound link of your car, since you have an X-PIPE? I would love to here it.. Thanks man!
Old 11/10/05, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

MSP... I've got the y-pipe version... jba came out with their h-pipe true duals while my order was being shipped.
This is just after the installation...
http://transcendingtouch.com/mustang/05v6_...rs_jbaduals.mp3

One day I may go with an h or x pipe, but I dig the sound as it is.
Old 11/11/05, 07:56 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 10, 2005, 10:26 PM
MSP... I've got the y-pipe version... jba came out with their h-pipe true duals while my order was being shipped.
This is just after the installation...
http://transcendingtouch.com/mustang/05v6_...rs_jbaduals.mp3

One day I may go with an h or x pipe, but I dig the sound as it is.

WOW! Does sound pretty good at idle.. Which means, that during acceleration it gets much deeper!

Looks like the JBA headers do make a good impression on the sound..
Old 11/11/05, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Though I think Scrming would see larger gains than the rest of us, I think 30 rwhp might be pushing it a bit.

I dont see how 4.10 gears would make a car any louder, its just going to rev a whole lot quicker.

In my experience, headers will usually make the car much rev-happier. It can breathe easier, make sense.

As for getting a recording... In the last week Ive tried two different computer mics with my laptop, and four different digital cameras. They all have been overloaded no matter how far away I seem to stand. If you're close enough for it to pick up the car at idle, itll go crazy on the revs. If you're far enough away it doesnt distort on the revs, its too far for it to pick up the car at idle. Such a tiresome process!

Thumbs up to headers. I wanna see someone with some longtubes!
Old 11/11/05, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 11, 2005, 10:06 AM
Though I think Scrming would see larger gains than the rest of us, I think 30 rwhp might be pushing it a bit.

I dont see how 4.10 gears would make a car any louder, its just going to rev a whole lot quicker.

In my experience, headers will usually make the car much rev-happier. It can breathe easier, make sense.

As for getting a recording... In the last week Ive tried two different computer mics with my laptop, and four different digital cameras. They all have been overloaded no matter how far away I seem to stand. If you're close enough for it to pick up the car at idle, itll go crazy on the revs. If you're far enough away it doesnt distort on the revs, its too far for it to pick up the car at idle. Such a tiresome process!

Thumbs up to headers. I wanna see someone with some longtubes!
I had the same problem with the mic's on my laptop. I ended up putting the camera 5 ft from the car. Dosent do it justice, but gave some people an idea.

My idea behind my 4.10s was tied into the fact that I'm guessing cruising speed of 65-80...my rpm is going to be somewhere between 2500-3000. Right now, when I hit 2500-2600 is when my exhaust is very loud and deep. During that time, cell phone use is out of the question.

Quick Reply: Installing headers