V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/05, 11:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I'm going to be installing JBA headers on my car and was wondering if anyone has done this themselves yet. There looked like there is alot of room under the hood to work and such. Or would I be better off going to a shop and not worry about messing anythign up.
Old 11/8/05, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think remember reading about someone installing headers over in the GT performance section- said it was a real pain- you might want to try searching for that thread
Old 11/8/05, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@November 8, 2005, 4:45 PM
I think remember reading about someone installing headers over in the GT performance section- said it was a real pain- you might want to try searching for that thread
Just remember there is a lot more room in the V6 engine bay, especially since it is a 60 degree engine. Someone in another thread, maybe another forum, said that they had it done and the mechanic said it was pretty easy. Seems like it should be.
Old 11/8/05, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had my jba's installed at a shop... my mechanic said the fit was perfect and it was a very easy 4 hour install.
Old 11/8/05, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 8, 2005, 6:34 PM
I had my jba's installed at a shop... my mechanic said the fit was perfect and it was a very easy 4 hour install.
Yeah, maybe you were the one I was thinking of.
Old 11/8/05, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hamidlmt@November 8, 2005, 4:34 PM
4 hours, darn, labor cost is gonna kill me. Think any shop cna do it, or would I need just an exhaust shop? My local mechanic will prob cut me a deal.
Old 11/9/05, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

any reputable mechanic shop should be able to do it
Old 11/9/05, 12:24 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by yur1279@November 8, 2005, 8:03 PM
4 hours, darn, labor cost is gonna kill me. Think any shop cna do it, or would I need just an exhaust shop? My local mechanic will prob cut me a deal.
Man! You gotta be kidding me Yur1279!! If you cant install the headers on this motor, then please stop all modifications ASAP!! LOL!! Thats an easy Saturday morning affair, with a hot pot of coffee.. You'll be ok doing it yourself.. Just make sure to get some gasket sealer, along with new gaskets.. No problem Yur1279!! Plenty of room..

Just get a creeper, a jack with 2 jack stands.. Make sure to leave the jack under the car, with the handle in the up position..
Old 11/9/05, 12:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MSP could do it with both hands tied behind his back, while drinking a cup of coffee and conversing with a squirrel.

If you can't do that too, then go to a mechanic, or get him to help.
Old 11/9/05, 12:58 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@November 9, 2005, 11:36 AM
MSP could do it with both hands tied behind his back, while drinking a cup of coffee and conversing with a squirrel.

If you can't do that too, then go to a mechanic, or get him to help.
LOL!! Conversing with a squirrel.. Do it all the time! Toughest set of headers for me was set of long tube headers on my old 1966 289 Hi-Po..

The steering colum was in the way.. Actully needed to get the headers somewhat smashed, and some work done to the wheel wells..

But on my 93 Cobra, just had to install the drivers side from the bottom, if I remember correctly..
Old 11/9/05, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

i'm sure I could do it myself, i'm just afraid of messing soemthing up.
Old 11/9/05, 02:02 PM
GT Member

Thumbs down

Let us know if you are happy with this mod. I am doing the Borla axle-back w/ Steeda CAI and BrenSpeed SCT 92 octane reflash very shortly. Parts are already on their way. I held off on headers as the factory 4.0 engine in the '05+ stang DOES have some attention paid to the exhaust headers and intake manifold. Do a search for 'product guide' and the 05 product guide details all the changes executed on the 4.0 engine -- which included higher flow headers (as compared to the headers on this engine when they mount it in Ford Rangers and Exploder SUV's) as well as a higher / more aggessive intake manifold. I parked my 'Stang next to a friend of mine who bought an '04 Ford Exploder sport track and we stared-and-compared engines. The stang does have a higher sitting / longer-runner intake manifold (hence why strut tower braces are not an easy fit on this car) as WELL as headers w/ longer tubes. The factory headers seem to take advantage of that extra room under the hood. So, I'm a fence-sitter on new headers. As such, I'm not sure the advantage of new headers to feed into my 'y' pipe exahust w/ the new Ford Racing/Borla muffler. Let us know if the car sounds better/gets better gas milage/performs better, etc.etc.

I'm just not 'sold' on this mod yet. What has kept me re-investigating this mod is the fact that JBA headers for the V6 are selling like hotcakes & they cannot ship them fast enough, so there must be SOME advantage....
Old 11/9/05, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by esorense@November 9, 2005, 4:05 PM
Let us know if you are happy with this mod. I am doing the Borla axle-back w/ Steeda CAI and BrenSpeed SCT 92 octane reflash very shortly. Parts are already on their way. I held off on headers as the factory 4.0 engine in the '05+ stang DOES have some attention paid to the exhaust headers and intake manifold. Do a search for 'product guide' and the 05 product guide details all the changes executed on the 4.0 engine -- which included higher flow headers (as compared to the headers on this engine when they mount it in Ford Rangers and Exploder SUV's) as well as a higher / more aggessive intake manifold. I parked my 'Stang next to a friend of mine who bought an '04 Ford Exploder sport track and we stared-and-compared engines. The stang does have a higher sitting / longer-runner intake manifold (hence why strut tower braces are not an easy fit on this car) as WELL as headers w/ longer tubes. The factory headers seem to take advantage of that extra room under the hood. So, I'm a fence-sitter on new headers. As such, I'm not sure the advantage of new headers to feed into my 'y' pipe exahust w/ the new Ford Racing/Borla muffler. Let us know if the car sounds better/gets better gas milage/performs better, etc.etc.

I'm just not 'sold' on this mod yet. What has kept me re-investigating this mod is the fact that JBA headers for the V6 are selling like hotcakes & they cannot ship them fast enough, so there must be SOME advantage....

I am looking into headers as well, but probably when I bottle feed the car (i.e. give it nitrous baby). I will be doing this mod myself, father in law is a part time mechanic!

@MSP

I though mustangs were your passion...I didn't know you compete with Dr. DooLittle?!?!?

A squirrel that converses with you must also be a mustang fanatic!!! LOL

By the way, what does MSP stand for?
Old 11/9/05, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 9, 2005, 10:10 PM
I am looking into headers as well, but probably when I bottle feed the car (i.e. give it nitrous baby). I will be doing this mod myself, father in law is a part time mechanic!

@MSP

I though mustangs were your passion...I didn't know you compete with Dr. DooLittle?!?!?

A squirrel that converses with you must also be a mustang fanatic!!! LOL

By the way, what does MSP stand for?
MSP = Mustang, Squirrel Powered!
Old 11/9/05, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@November 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
LMAO!
Old 11/9/05, 08:32 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@November 9, 2005, 7:11 PM
LOL!! How did you know man!! LOL! Nah, its my initials!

WOW! About the JBA Headers! We need to look into this.. I had no idea guys were buying them up.. Anyone heard anything about them.? Are there any dyno sheets floating around?
Old 11/9/05, 08:42 PM
MSP
Banned

Here is the link to the JBA headers.. The Mustang looks sweet to!

http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangV6new.asp
Old 11/10/05, 12:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

squirrel conversation, inspired by my uncle...

Do you know what they asked they inmate at the insane asylum before they turned out they lights?

Do you have to peanut?

(and, then my uncle would hand me a peanut, of course)
Old 11/10/05, 03:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 9, 2005, 10:35 PM
LOL!! How did you know man!! LOL! Nah, its my initials!

WOW! About the JBA Headers! We need to look into this.. I had no idea guys were buying them up.. Anyone heard anything about them.? Are there any dyno sheets floating around?
I have yet to see a before and after dyno sheet... but people i trust say 3 to 4 RWHP... just not worth the $$$ in my opinion...
Old 11/10/05, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Jimp@November 9, 2005, 10:11 PM

ROFL.

Quick Reply: Installing headers