V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installation of complete GT take off exhaust system on V6

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/06, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so last night was finally the night to install my complete GT takeoff exhaust system. The parts included in my purchase were:

Left and Right GT mufflers
Left and Right Over-the-axle pipes
H-pipe including Left and Right catalytic converters

First thing to do was see if the H-pipe would swap out for the stock Y-pipe. Initial measurements said yes, but I could never find this piece of info anywhere so I had to find out for myself. So, we got the car up on jack stands and checked it out. The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe. Let me repeat that.

<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe! </span></span>

The left side of the GT H-pipe only has one bung for an O2 sensor, it needs another. It has two on the right side. The stock Y-pipe has two on each side. Also, the short pipes on the H-pipe above the cats are bent differently than the Y-pipe and will not flushly meet the exhaust manifold. Also, the diameter of the piping on the Y-pipe is slightly more narrow than on the H-pipe.

The one good thing is that the H-pipe and the Y-pipe are the same width after the cats, and the hanging posts are the same distance apart. So, today I am having Meineke cut the cats off the GT H-pipe and then cut the Y-pipe off after the stock cats. The pipes on the H-pipe are slightly wider than pipes after the cats for the stock Y, so they are being flanged inward and welded together.

After that, both over-the-axle pipes bolt right up to the H-pipe with the 2.5" couplers and round brackets I purchased at Auto Zone. The guy at the Meineke is fabricating two exhaust hangers for the front side of the mufflers, I am reusing the two stock ones, one on the exit side of each GT muffler.

So where I left off last night:
Right muffler is hung. Sounds awesome. (Well, at least twice as good as the stock V6)
Cut out bumper on left hand side with dremel. Looks amazing. Really. Perfect match and I saved a lot of cash over buying a new GT rear bumper. The pipes stick out just far enough and I actually prefer the look over the GT bumper. I just traced the right hand cutout onto a sheet of paper, measured like 20 times, flipped the sheet over and traced it on, measured more, then dremeled. Only had to very lightly sand.

I also plan on spraying the GT muffs black with high temp paint because their finish is ugly, however right now it's too cold out to do this.

I pickup the car after work today, the total cost for install was quoted at $120. All of the parts including shipping were $200, so the grand total for my H-pipe dual exhaust system was $320 installed, you can't beat that! Wish I had something to record the sound....
Old 2/15/06, 04:41 PM

Just picked it up from Meineke. Sounds great... It's not the least bit raspy and has a nice deep growl. Getting new wheels and tires tomorrow, then it's time for the C&L CAI, ExCal II, and tune from Bamachips.
Old 2/15/06, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear everything went well. Do you have any pics of the install?
Old 2/15/06, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WindVeil05DropTop @ February 15, 2006, 7:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just picked it up from Meineke. Sounds great... It's not the least bit raspy and has a nice deep growl. Getting new wheels and tires tomorrow, then it's time for the C&L CAI, ExCal II, and tune from Bamachips.
[/b][/quote]

Congrats. We're going to need a soundclip, stat. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/15/06, 05:19 PM

Pic's would be great as I am sitting on the same set up waiting to get the work done, if I can show them what I need done it might make it easier.
Old 2/16/06, 10:26 AM

Sorry,
I don't have a digital camera. Anyways, should be easy to explain to them. Cut stock Y after cats, cut cats off stock X. Weld. Any shop can do this.

On a side note, I noticed that my left muffler is pointed slightly inward and that both mufflers are hung a little too low. At first I thought I would just live with it, but then I realized I paid good money for this and it needs to be done exactly how I want it. Guy at Meineke was nice when I called him, he said on Saturday I can come in and show the tech exactly how I want it.
Old 2/16/06, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

Can you keep the factory right over-the-axle pipe, and just buy the right one? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WindVeil05DropTop @ February 15, 2006, 10:11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, so last night was finally the night to install my complete GT takeoff exhaust system. The parts included in my purchase were:

Left and Right GT mufflers
Left and Right Over-the-axle pipes
H-pipe including Left and Right catalytic converters

First thing to do was see if the H-pipe would swap out for the stock Y-pipe. Initial measurements said yes, but I could never find this piece of info anywhere so I had to find out for myself. So, we got the car up on jack stands and checked it out. The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe. Let me repeat that.

<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe! </span></span>

The left side of the GT H-pipe only has one bung for an O2 sensor, it needs another. It has two on the right side. The stock Y-pipe has two on each side. Also, the short pipes on the H-pipe above the cats are bent differently than the Y-pipe and will not flushly meet the exhaust manifold. Also, the diameter of the piping on the Y-pipe is slightly more narrow than on the H-pipe.

The one good thing is that the H-pipe and the Y-pipe are the same width after the cats, and the hanging posts are the same distance apart. So, today I am having Meineke cut the cats off the GT H-pipe and then cut the Y-pipe off after the stock cats. The pipes on the H-pipe are slightly wider than pipes after the cats for the stock Y, so they are being flanged inward and welded together.

After that, both over-the-axle pipes bolt right up to the H-pipe with the 2.5" couplers and round brackets I purchased at Auto Zone. The guy at the Meineke is fabricating two exhaust hangers for the front side of the mufflers, I am reusing the two stock ones, one on the exit side of each GT muffler.

So where I left off last night:
Right muffler is hung. Sounds awesome. (Well, at least twice as good as the stock V6)
Cut out bumper on left hand side with dremel. Looks amazing. Really. Perfect match and I saved a lot of cash over buying a new GT rear bumper. The pipes stick out just far enough and I actually prefer the look over the GT bumper. I just traced the right hand cutout onto a sheet of paper, measured like 20 times, flipped the sheet over and traced it on, measured more, then dremeled. Only had to very lightly sand.

I also plan on spraying the GT muffs black with high temp paint because their finish is ugly, however right now it's too cold out to do this.

I pickup the car after work today, the total cost for install was quoted at $120. All of the parts including shipping were $200, so the grand total for my H-pipe dual exhaust system was $320 installed, you can't beat that! Wish I had something to record the sound....
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] the left one
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elfat @ February 16, 2006, 12:40 PM) [post=]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can you keep the factory right over-the-axle pipe, and just buy the right one? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/16/06, 12:27 PM

I believe so, but am not positive. The GT piping looked to be of higher quality, and since I already had the two, I had them swap the right side.
Old 2/18/06, 08:34 AM

Went back to Meineke today and we got it up on the lift. The tech didn't even reuse the 2 stock hangers I had front the right side. I showed him exactly how to put them on when I first came in!

He had a really crappy hanger made out a rubber strap and a chunk of metal. When I saw it I kinda freaked.

Luckily he had the stock hangers still laying around and I put one up there for him to see. The guy was putting them on upside down before, thats why it looked funny to him and he didn't use them.

So... I showed the muffler tech how to install muffler hangers and.... TADA! Everything is now lined up perfectly and looks great. My V6 looks like it came from the factory with duals!

Last night I put on 17" Bullitts w/Pirellis (got them brand new from Saleen for $375 [[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]][[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]] ) and they look great. Replaced the front sway bar as well with a GT take-off (was $30, probably won't tell a difference, oh well).

I also dremeled the antenna down to make it a good amount shorter, but didn't like it. So, I bought a 14" staff from Mustang Tuning. Looks a heck of a lot better than that flagpole that used to be there.

Now I just gotta get my C&L CAI and XCal II and tune... When does my next paycheck come?[[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]]

P.S. - I hope to borrow a camera for pics and sounds sometime this week.
Old 2/21/06, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats pretty much what I did, except my h-pipe came without the cats. I had the y-pipe cut to match and eveything else bolted right up. The only welding was the V6 cats to the GT h-pipe.

Orginaly I had my GT muff on my single exhaust with the V6 bumper. When I installed the GT bumper and installed the Gt takeoff duals the tips dont fit the larger GT openings as well. I would like to find some nicer tips that dont cost $50+ each to finish it off.

Heres a current pic, I know it looks like a bone stock GT, but Its a work in progress.