V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

hello all. I have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/06, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello all. I have a couple of questions

Hello everybody.

I stumbled upon this site while googling info about my new to me, used '05 Mustang. You have a very cool and informative site here.

I just bought a 2005 Deluxe ( I think ) V6, 5-speed with 24000 miles on it from a local Ford dealer. Interior upgrade package ( brushed aluminum dash , brushed int. door handles and door sills, leather and brushed shifter handle, leather interior, electric drivers seat, mycolour guages ) ,16" machined rims with chrome spinner caps, rear spoiler, TCS, active anti -theft system ( I think. I went out one morning 3 days after I got it and started it and the info system gave me the message " unauthorized entry attempted ". I cleared the message by re-starting the vehicle but to this day haven't been able to get the message again. I know that I have the sensors in the roof where the interior lights are but I am confused as to know if I actually have this option or not ). Anyway I paid 15,700 for it ( after converting my buck to yours ). Did I do ok on it or did I overpay? Aside from a couple of light paint scatches and paint chips on the door edges and also a very small ding above the drivers door handle ( how that got there I will never know ) the car is in excellant condition. Just curious to know your opinion.

My second question is an audio question. The car also came with the base system. I want to upgrade to the Shaker 500 or 1000 hu so that I have access to the 6 disc cd changer and MP3 player. I like the clean look of the factory hu's and I already have 3 other "summer" vehicles that I throw my extra cash towards to make them my "A" list toys and I don't need another one, so I am not looking to add any aftermarket amps or subs or hu's. The base system is fine to me for what the car is. My question is this. Can I upgrade to either of the Shaker hu's without sacrificing any power/sound quality? I have heard that the base system has more wattage than the Shaker hu would have if it wasn't connected to any amps or subs. Anyone know if this is true? I know that the Shaker hu and my base hu would physically be a direct swap but I don't want to do it if the power/ quality is sacrificed. Any thoughts or advise from all you Mustang guys or girls?

I would appreciate any help that you can give.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Cheers
Old 12/2/06, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With regards to how much you paid... It really doesn't matter now as it is too late. If you're happy, then you paid the right amount... seems OK though. I personally have the Shaker 500. I'm happy with the system and have no complaints. I factory ordered my Stang and could have elected to go with the Shaker 1000, but no way was a 500 watt sub-woofer worth an additional $1,300.00 IMO. If I was in your shoes, I'd go with and aftermarker system as opposed to going with the Shaker(500 or 1000). For the money, you'd probably get "set-up" with better sound that would fit nicely in the large opening. I would suggest initiating a search on this forum and you'll find countless opinions on audio choices. Good luck
Old 12/2/06, 10:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, you should be able to get a Shaker 500 head unit and replace your base head unit with it, and it should work just fine. A friend of mine did it and it works just fine, I'd recommend though getting one out of a 2006 or later as the 2005 ones had serious issues.
Old 12/3/06, 06:12 AM
V6 Member

Welcome to the forum! From the prices I've seen around here, it sounds like you got a good deal for what you paid. The Mustangs have a good resell value and you should consider it as an investment. I cannot hellp you with the audio, I am very pleased with my shaker500 and really have no reason to change. As for me, I'd rather invest in performance mods and if you read these forums long enough sooner or later you'll be wanting to do the same. Good luck!
Old 12/4/06, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by canadian_pony
Hello everybody.

, active anti -theft system ( I think. I went out one morning 3 days after I got it and started it and the info system gave me the message " unauthorized entry attempted ". I cleared the message by re-starting the vehicle but to this day haven't been able to get the message again. I know that I have the sensors in the roof where the interior lights are but I am confused as to know if I actually have this option or not ).I would appreciate any help that you can give.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Cheers
Hey Canadian Pony, you've got Canadian company (me). I have the active anti-theft and when the ignition key is out there is a flashing red light in the instrument cluster. Look for that. Good luck
Old 12/7/06, 07:17 PM

Thanks everybody for the welcome. I was really wanting to stick with the factory look. Like racer3 said, I have aleady read about a few performance mods that I would rather spend the extra dollars on. I like good sound but I like dusting the imports better.

Hey jay wx. Did your friend say that the switchout was a straight plug and play?

Hi green pony. I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the passive anti-theft. Its related to the computer chip in the head of the ignition key. It prevents the car from starting if the corresponding key is not used in the ignition switch. Its common with Ford. I have it in my 2000 F150. Welcome to the forum as well. Whereabouts in southern Ontario are you from?

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 12/8/06, 06:51 AM

Hi green pony. I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the passive anti-theft. Its related to the computer chip in the head of the ignition key. It prevents the car from starting if the corresponding key is not used in the ignition switch. Its common with Ford. I have it in my 2000 F150. Welcome to the forum as well. Whereabouts in southern Ontario are you from?

Thanks to all for your help.
I'm from Newmarket. Well I paid for Active anti-theft and set it off the other day when switching to snow tires. I jacked up the car while it was locked and the alarm went off, also when I lock the car with the windows down the alarm goes off if I stick my hand inside and touch something (motion sensor I think)
Old 12/8/06, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey jay wx. Did your friend say that the switchout was a straight plug and play?
Indeed it was, he purchased the radio from Ebay for around $150 I think, then just swapped it out. I was there when he turned it
on for the first time and loaded up some CD's....worked like a charm! He had also found all the Shaker 500 speakers as well and is going to have them installed along with some aftermarket amps to power the subs put in the doors so when it's finished he'll have a Shaker 500 clone or pretty close to it.
Old 12/8/06, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by green pony
I'm from Newmarket. Well I paid for Active anti-theft and set it off the other day when switching to snow tires. I jacked up the car while it was locked and the alarm went off, also when I lock the car with the windows down the alarm goes off if I stick my hand inside and touch something (motion sensor I think)
Well you got it. when system is active any motion in the cabin will activate the system!
Old 12/8/06, 05:16 PM

[quote=green pony;795395]I'm from Newmarket.

NO SH_T ????????????

Holy crap !!!!!! A guy gets on the web and expects to talk to who knows who from faroffdistantland and finds himself talking to his neighbour. I'm right next door to you in the Landing. I go to work in Newmarket everyday. I'll have to keep a lookout for ya in the limey pony. I've got a windveil myself. If you happen to see me don't hesitate to say hi. I know there is another one in Bradford just like mine so it will be hard to differentiate between the two but wait til summer. Goin' for the pony grille, pony fender emblems, side window louvers, possibly a dual GT exhaust. I've read some of the threads on the GT exhaust on the 6's and maybe it will add a couple more horses along with a tuner. As I drive and have fun with the 5-speed, I'm kinda wishing I had more hp. Maybe I'll just have to upgrade to a GT500. That would be sweet but I don't need another summer vehicle. I've got too many that I already have to put away each November.
Anyway, glad to meet a local fellow mustanger.
Old 12/8/06, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jay_wx
Indeed it was, he purchased the radio from Ebay for around $150 I think, then just swapped it out. I was there when he turned it
on for the first time and loaded up some CD's....worked like a charm! He had also found all the Shaker 500 speakers as well and is going to have them installed along with some aftermarket amps to power the subs put in the doors so when it's finished he'll have a Shaker 500 clone or pretty close to it.

Thanks jay wx. Thats just what I was hoping to hear. I plan on doing the same thing with buying it cheaper from ebay. Some threads say it doesn't work and that codes come up on the unit and it won't work without doing something first to program your cars computer into the new hu. I'm not exactly sure on the details though. Do you know if the new Shakers ( '07 )
have got the skipping problem worked out yet? I plan on getting one from an '07 and then just switching out the front door speakers with Infinity's. I'll probably leave the rears in place. I'll have to hear how it sounds first.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12/10/06, 09:17 AM

NO SH_T ????????????

I'm right next door to you in the Landing. I go to work in Newmarket everyday. I'll have to keep a lookout for ya in the limey pony. I've got a windveil myself. If you happen to see me don't hesitate to say hi.
Anyway, glad to meet a local fellow mustanger.
I'll keep an eye out
Old 12/12/06, 11:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Some threads say it doesn't work and that codes come up on the unit and it won't work without doing something first to program your cars computer into the new hu.
I've heard that somewhere as well...but I just tried the same trick on my own 05, I bought a Shaker 500 head unit and just replaced the base head unit and presto...worked like a charm. Mine was also out of a 2006 model, so should be no skipping issues.