V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Guys I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/05, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got my Magnaflow Dual exhaust system yesterday. I took it to the exhaust shop this morning and while I was sitting in the waiting room the mechanic calls me into the bay to show me that the Magnaflow system WILL NOT WORK ON MY CAR! Apparently the rear sway bar gets in the way and he says that it cannot be mounted. :bang: I don't know what to do. I have a 2006 Pony Package btw. I cannot believe that I may have just wasted $458 bucks and I won't be able to use this thing. Any thoughts?

Edited: Don't try bypassing the language filters.
Old 11/30/05, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

You answered the question I had in Stangnet over here (about it being a rear sway bar issue). I still find it hard to believe that your mechanic cannot fab something. Maybe some insight can be gained by looking at the GT set-up. Sorry I can't be more helpful!! Keep us posted, though!
Old 11/30/05, 07:32 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Maija@November 30, 2005, 5:53 AM
So I got my Magnaflow Dual exhaust system yesterday. I took it to the exhaust shop this morning and while I was sitting in the waiting room the mechanic calls me into the bay to show me that the Magnaflow system WILL NOT WORK ON MY CAR! Apparently the rear sway bar gets in the way and he says that it cannot be mounted. :bang: I don't know what to do. I have a 2006 Pony Package btw. I cannot believe that I may have just wasted $458 bucks and I won't be able to use this thing. Any thoughts?

Take it to another shop, or tell the mechanic/welder to do his darn job and fabricate the system and make it fit the car... I cant believe some shops are so lazy...

You will be able to use it, but the shop you went to sucks and shouldnt be in business... Exhaust shops all over the country know that exhaust typically has to be fabricated..

You will just have to find another shop, and in your mind understand that some places are too lazy really.. Its not your fault.. Sorry for all the problems, but dont let it get you down... The shop is wrong.. Find another shop..
Old 11/30/05, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 30, 2005, 9:35 AM
Take it to another shop, or tell the mechanic/welder to do his darn job and fabricate the system and make it fit the car... I cant believe some shops are so lazy...

You will be able to use it, but the shop you went to sucks and shouldnt be in business... Exhaust shops all over the country know that exhaust typically has to be fabricated..

You will just have to find another shop, and in your mind understand that some places are too lazy really.. Its not your fault.. Sorry for all the problems, but dont let it get you down... The shop is wrong.. Find another shop..

Indeed!!! I went through a couple shops before I found a exhaust shop that knew custom jobs. Now I am happy.

Keep looking, you will find something.
Old 11/30/05, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You might try the route several of us have taken using the stock RH intermediate pipe and getting the LH GT intermediate pipe. Then you can install the Magnaflow axle backs.
Old 11/30/05, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

There's absolutely no reason it shouldnt work. This does make me wonder about my exhaust when I go to add in a rear sway bar... hmmm I wonder if its gonna cause any issues. Durr. Hmm.
Old 11/30/05, 12:08 PM
GT Member

I'm having the same issues since day one when we converted to the dual exhaust. I've asked this question over on another forum and can't remember which but...

The V6 stock pipe diameter is 2.25 not 2.5 like the GT. Reason I know this is, we just looked under the car and our shop fabricated a sleeve to go over the pipe from the cat into the x-pipe which is 2.5 - then they clamped it. Unfortunately, they only did one side and now I have a rattle on the side they didn't so. It's going back in for the 6th time hopefully today when I get home.

As MSP stated, find another shop. The work can be done by "knowledgeable" exhaust guys [& gals]. Good luck and let us know how you make out...
Old 11/30/05, 12:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

are you sure its not 2.5"?? The othe rguys who have had duals put on have not mentioned the stock v6 pipe beeing a problem with the X pipe and 2.5" drivers side GT pipe.
Old 11/30/05, 12:51 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by yur1279@November 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
are you sure its not 2.5"?? The othe rguys who have had duals put on have not mentioned the stock v6 pipe beeing a problem with the X pipe and 2.5" drivers side GT pipe.

My exhaust system is 2.5".. I never had a problem at all.. Not exactly sure what is happening with Pony_up... Dont know why the shop would have used any clamps on the system..

I would make them re-do it Pony_up.. Doesnt sound right to me at all.. I know for a fact my exhaust is 2.5".. I have had it re-worked so many times.. LOL!!

My Pro-Chamber might be here today, and I'll go have it put on.. Then late tonight go and make some new sound files.. Thats if it comes today, not sure.. The tracking number is on another machine which is down right now..
Old 11/30/05, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stock piping is 2.5" ... no contest.
Old 11/30/05, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Maija@November 30, 2005, 9:53 AM
Did you contact Magnaflow? That should be your first step.
Old 11/30/05, 01:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contact Magnaflow regarding the problem. Perhaps the pony package has a different sway bar (I don't know) or FORD changed something along the way. Regardless it might not be magnaflow or your installers fault. When I first got my magnaflow mufflers they didn't even come close to fitting (check my blog). It was because FORD changed the design of the exhaust after magnaflow had designed thier system. The same thing could apply in this situation.
Old 11/30/05, 01:31 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 30, 2005, 12:30 PM
Contact Magnaflow regarding the problem. Perhaps the pony package has a different sway bar (I don't know) or FORD changed something along the way. Regardless it might not be magnaflow or your installers fault. When I first got my magnaflow mufflers they didn't even come close to fitting (check my blog). It was because FORD changed the design of the exhaust after magnaflow had designed thier system. The same thing could apply in this situation.

Interesting... so there could be a legitimate problem going on...

Perhaps Miaja can take us a few pictures of the rear-end so we can look at it... Pictures always help us alot more Maija to understand what the guy is talking about..
Old 11/30/05, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Remember everyone - the Pony package is the only V6 model with the rear sway bar from the factory. It could be the Magnaflow dual conversion for the V6 does not work.
Old 11/30/05, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pony_up@November 30, 2005, 2:11 PM
I'm having the same issues since day one when we converted to the dual exhaust. I've asked this question over on another forum and can't remember which but...

The V6 stock pipe diameter is 2.25 not 2.5 like the GT. Reason I know this is, we just looked under the car and our shop fabricated a sleeve to go over the pipe from the cat into the x-pipe which is 2.5 - then they clamped it. Unfortunately, they only did one side and now I have a rattle on the side they didn't so. It's going back in for the 6th time hopefully today when I get home.

As MSP stated, find another shop. The work can be done by "knowledgeable" exhaust guys [& gals]. Good luck and let us know how you make out...
Well, if I remember correctly, the pipe BEHIND the stock y-pipe is 2.5, but the pipes in front (engine side of y-pipe) are a bit smaller in diameter.
Old 11/30/05, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread just that I know how frustrating the OP is feeling. I agree with the others - call Magnaflow and see what they say...

Thanks Hambone - that's exactly what I'm referring to - the pipe after the cat but before the Y is 2.25 and that is what is now feeding the 2.5 X pipe...
Old 11/30/05, 06:09 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by 06VistaPony@November 30, 2005, 1:06 PM
Remember everyone - the Pony package is the only V6 model with the rear sway bar from the factory. It could be the Magnaflow dual conversion for the V6 does not work.

I like this theory... I think he is 100% correct.. The original Magnaflow kit is fabricated for a V6 that is not of Pony origin.. Nice catch!!

So this means that guys with Pony's need to order the GT kit..

Since he is obviously a thinker, 06VistaPony has been elevated to QuarterMaster!!

Sure hope Maija is ok.. Let us know your mind has the ability to handle a minor setback Maija! LOL!! We have not heard from you all day!!
Old 11/30/05, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah just kick it into action... The guys over at Magnaflow are really understanding and have a really good reputation for working with their customers to find solutions. Im sure you can get something worked out.
Old 11/30/05, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My exhaust guy had to do a little custom work to get my magnaflows to clear my GT bumper.

On the Maganflow kit, one thing I didn't like about them is that they are straight through muffler design, meaning that the mufflers actually sit/point up and almost connect to the tubing right near the axle. Very annoying if you want to switch out mufflers later, cause you have to have them cut out....custom tubing run and standard mufflers put on.

But definitely take Zodiac's advice, and give them a call. I went with thier kit because they have a good reputation.
Old 11/30/05, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anybody know if my 4" Bassani tip will fit in the V6 bumper cover... :scratch:

Quick Reply: Guys I need your help!