V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT vs V6

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/05, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys - Okay, so I went to the dealership yesterday and was disappointed to learn that the 2005 Mustang GT is all but sold out. I can place an order today (with delivery possibly in September), but there is no guarantee I will get it. I really had my heart set on having the Mustang for the summer, so I don't know if I can wait that long.

The alternative (which I'm leaning heavily toward) is to drop down to the V6, Premium model. What do you guys think? Is the GT worth the wait and the risk (of not getting one) or should I go for the V6 now and be happy?
Old 5/1/05, 12:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I like mine, except for the gas mileage that I've been getting....

Here's link to a test drive that I took in a V6 manual. There's also links to a GT test drive that I also took......

V6 manual test drive

Maybe test drive them both and then deceide?
Old 5/1/05, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Falchion@May 1, 2005, 12:53 PM
Well, I like mine, except for the gas mileage that I've been getting....

Here's link to a test drive that I took in a V6 manual. There's also links to a GT test drive that I also took......

V6 manual test drive

Maybe test drive them both and then deceide?

I'd say wait and get what you really want - you will have this new Stang for several years to come and you don't want to be thinking that you should have waited every time you drive it! By the way I really like my GT - and the V6's are nice too!

I'd call every dealership in the country and try and find the car I want!! Keep an eye out for GT's that have been ordered and finally arrived - some folks are not waiting and you may find an unclaimed one....that's exactly what happend to me - and the GT just happened to be exactly what I was looking for! Or perhaps a GT vert?? I'm thinking of upgrading from my '05 GT coupe to a GT vert.....
Old 5/1/05, 02:00 PM

Maybe you could find a large out of state Dealer and give them a call? I read on here where some guy picked up a GT at a Dealer that was so big, they had their streets! Fly over to whereever and drive it home!
Old 5/1/05, 02:15 PM
GT Member

If you are looking for a GT look at RICART Ford in Columbus Ohio. They are huge and have lots of Mustangs on the lot. I have a V6 coupe Premium pkg and I love it. Insurance is cheaper, gas is better, and it has all the power you need. Last night I had it up to 90 on the highway just cruising along and some kid in a rice rocket tried to come up on me, I let him get to about 10 feet from the back bumper in the left lane, didn't even down shift just put my foot into it a little bit and left him for dead. I think you'll be happy with the V6, just get a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Women put automatics in the muscle cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy I feel the burn already!
Old 5/1/05, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

My reply is exactly the same as bigfoot1141. I have a V6 too, you will be very happy with it. Although I like the GT there is no need for a GT for normal street - highway driving. So far I have had the car at 170kph or 105 miles per hour with hardly my foot into the accelerator. What impresses me is that the mustang has plenty of low end torque for moving in and out of traffic and responds very well to steering imputs.

There will be other's that state that if you get a GT the bumper on the GT hides the equipment on the rear end of the car and that you also get to extra head lights. Personally I could car less who sees the gas tank and other goodies at the rear end of the vehicle. I am not crazy about the GT headlights either. According to Motor Trend the V6 has a top speed of 118mph as tested and the GT has a top speed of 143 mph. You have to ask yourself were are you going to do these speeds legally other than perhaps a race track? If you have money to burn for traffic tickets then I guess the question is a moote point. What was sad in Edmonton on Wednesday was to see a 2005 Mustang GT on its roof on the Whitemud Freeway because some young person could not handle the speed of the GT while negotiating a corner. You have to realize that both the new V6 and GT are very fast cars. The GT requires an experienced driver with lots of driving experience at speed. So far I have had no one in the city attempt to get past me in the V6.

:nono:
Old 5/1/05, 02:49 PM
GT Member

It's completely up to you because it depends what you expect from the car. However, I might be able to provide some context. I've had two V8 Mustangs (1987 and 1998) and just picked up a 2005 V6 a few days ago. Ultimately, I decided on the V6 for the same reason that you are thinking about it: I couldn't get a V8, but in my case, I needed a car pretty soon. The lower cost and insurance didn't hurt, either.

My early impressions of the V6 are excellent: it's as fast as either of the V8's I've had, handles well and has a nice ride. I've received a million compliments on it in less than 72 hours. At 37, I'm too old to street race anymore, so this car provides what I need. The V6 will do okay by you if you're looking for a good, solid car at a great price.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something to race on a pretty regular basis, you should probably get the GT.

Two random comments: Another reason that I didn't get the GT is that I don't have anyplace to use all 300 of those horsies. There aren't any tracks close enough for me to just drive it wide open.

Also, the great majority of people don't know the difference between the V6 and GT. Sure, there are a handful of car people - like the people on this site - that can tell the difference from a mile away. But don't be fooled into thinking that the whole world can tell the difference. Most people think it's a Mustang. Period.

So, think about what you want from the car. For everyday driving, there's not much of a difference between 210 and 300 horsepower. For racing, there's a huge difference!
Old 5/1/05, 05:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ponycar@May 1, 2005, 2:52 PM
It's completely up to you because it depends what you expect from the car. However, I might be able to provide some context. I've had two V8 Mustangs (1987 and 1998) and just picked up a 2005 V6 a few days ago. Ultimately, I decided on the V6 for the same reason that you are thinking about it: I couldn't get a V8, but in my case, I needed a car pretty soon. The lower cost and insurance didn't hurt, either.

My early impressions of the V6 are excellent: it's as fast as either of the V8's I've had, handles well and has a nice ride. I've received a million compliments on it in less than 72 hours. At 37, I'm too old to street race anymore, so this car provides what I need. The V6 will do okay by you if you're looking for a good, solid car at a great price.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something to race on a pretty regular basis, you should probably get the GT.

Two random comments: Another reason that I didn't get the GT is that I don't have anyplace to use all 300 of those horsies. There aren't any tracks close enough for me to just drive it wide open.

Also, the great majority of people don't know the difference between the V6 and GT. Sure, there are a handful of car people - like the people on this site - that can tell the difference from a mile away. But don't be fooled into thinking that the whole world can tell the difference. Most people think it's a Mustang. Period.

So, think about what you want from the car. For everyday driving, there's not much of a difference between 210 and 300 horsepower. For racing, there's a huge difference!
Chuck - all good points but after having had a 1996 V6, 2000 GT 5-spd and now an '05 GT 5-spd, - I'd have to say the GT is much preferable (for me) - because of the engine - it' not for reckless street racing (although there are plenty who will do this) but just the "aural" feel/sound of driving that V8 and shifting with that nice V8 between-shift "burbble" will make you smile....it really makes the Mustang for me - the new 4.6 3V engine is so much nicer and more refined than the previous 4.6 2V - if you get the chance drive an '05 GT and I'd like to hear your opinion.....plus the GT should retain more resale value. Don't get me wrong though there is nothing wrong with a V6 either - just that the GT driving experience is more than just additional hp.....when it really comes down to it - we each have to make up our own minds about what we want and live with our decision down the road! Cheers
Old 5/1/05, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

PonyCar your comments are right on could not have said it better myself!
Old 5/1/05, 06:34 PM

Wow! Great feedback guys...thanks so much. I definitely feel comfortable going with the V6 after reading your posts. I'm assuming that most of you have the 5-spd manual trans on your V6's? That might be a problem for me since I've never learned to drive a stick. I know, it's shameful!!! Any thoughts on the V6 5-spd AUTO trans?

For frame of reference, I currently drive a 95' Ford Contour V6, 2.8L. It's quite responsive...very peppy as they say. I'd be satisfied if my new Mustang was as good as the Contour, but obviously I'm hoping and expecting it to be at least notieably better. I just don't want to be overly disappointed if I go with the auto transmission.
Old 5/1/05, 06:44 PM

Well, I really liked the stick myself a lot better then the automatic, but maybe you should test both the V6, and GT auto and then see?

Originally posted by mustang_78@May 1, 2005, 6:37 PM
Wow! Great feedback guys...thanks so much. I definitely feel comfortable going with the V6 after reading your posts. I'm assuming that most of you have the 5-spd manual trans on your V6's? That might be a problem for me since I've never learned to drive a stick. I know, it's shameful!!! Any thoughts on the V6 5-spd AUTO trans?

For frame of reference, I currently drive a 95' Ford Contour V6, 2.8L. It's quite responsive...very peppy as they say. I'd be satisfied if my new Mustang was as good as the Contour, but obviously I'm hoping and expecting it to be at least notieably better. I just don't want to be overly disappointed if I go with the auto transmission.
Old 5/1/05, 06:45 PM

PONYCAR...how do you like your windveil blue V6? Did you get the black or the pear gold side panel stripe? The pictures I've seen of windveil look really good, yet I think I've settled on black as my color of choice. Any chance you got some pics to share? Maybe sway my thinking
Old 5/1/05, 06:46 PM

FALCHION. Thanks for the link to the Order Guide. That was a great help. It's amazing what you can find on the web! I'll definitely be test driving the V6 again. The GT? If only I could find one
Old 5/1/05, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP+May 1, 2005, 7:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOTLAP @ May 1, 2005, 7:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ponycar@May 1, 2005, 2:52 PM

Chuck - all good points but after having had a 1996 V6, 2000 GT 5-spd and now an '05 GT 5-spd, - I'd have to say the GT is much preferable (for me) - because of the engine - it' not for reckless street racing (although there are plenty who will do this) but just the "aural" feel/sound of driving that V8 and shifting with that nice V8 between-shift "burbble" will make you smile....it really makes the Mustang for me - the new 4.6 3V engine is so much nicer and more refined than the previous 4.6 2V - if you get the chance drive an '05 GT and I'd like to hear your opinion.....plus the GT should retain more resale value. Don't get me wrong though there is nothing wrong with a V6 either - just that the GT driving experience is more than just additional hp.....when it really comes down to it - we each have to make up our own minds about what we want and live with our decision down the road! Cheers
[/b][/quote]

Don't get me wrong: I drove a GT a few months ago and it is awesome. I definitely don't snub my nose at any GT owners. I agree that it's more pure racing. There can be a "smile" factor in going from 0-60 faster than most cars twice the price!
Old 5/1/05, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustang_78@May 1, 2005, 8:48 PM
PONYCAR...how do you like your windveil blue V6? Did you get the black or the pear gold side panel stripe? The pictures I've seen of windveil look really good, yet I think I've settled on black as my color of choice. Any chance you got some pics to share? Maybe sway my thinking
Windveil Blue was my second choice as I couldn't find any Legend Lime models anywhere. But after doing the whole Zaino thing today, I love it and am really happy that I ended up with it.

Windveil Blue V6
Old 5/1/05, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustang_78@May 1, 2005, 8:48 PM
The black looks fantastic and I would have seriously considered buying it. Unfortunately, my commute includes the NJ Turnpike, George Washington Bridge, etc. Seriously, the car would have been chipped up within a week or so.

I also read where you worried about driving a stick. It's no big deal. I learned on my 1976 Mustang II in about 30 minutes. Just find a safe (not busy) section of your neighborhood, preferably with a few hills for your advanced practice, and drive around. For me, it was better to go alone because listening to other people can make learning a stick way too complicated. It's all feel and it's difficult to explain in words.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 5/2/05, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Both cars are great!!! The reasons I went w/the GT are minimum

Here are a few:

1. I had a V6 prior to that.
2. I love the sound of the GT (didnt want to deal with mods)
3. I always wanted a GT for some reason unknown.

Now can I say that $5,000.00 is well worth the investment in a GT. Not at all. The V6 is a beautiful car with well enough power for a daily driver. Of course the extra 90 HP is nice to have and I have fun with it but I again I cant justify the extra 5 grand for it.

Let me also say that the appearnce differnces in a GT vs V6 are very minimum. Evertime I see a V6 on the raod I have took very closely to see what it is.

With that said, what matters is what makes you happy when you get behind the wheel. I am happy in my GT but I do regret the extra 5 grand that I owe.

Good luck making your mind up.

P.S. Did you know that about 60-70% of vehicles for middle class people in Europe are between 1.3-2.0 Lt.? This is because of gas prices and the cost of leaving. They would die to have a 4.0. When I had my 200 V6 my friends in Greece could not believe how big the engine was and the HP it produced.
Old 5/2/05, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

You will not be sorry if you get the V6...even with the auto. I got auto because my wife can't drive a stnd, and I aint gonna teach her on a new Stang !!! Plust its so much easier to drive in the city. The 6 has plenty of power and handles great. But if your heart is set on a GT then get one. The last thing you need is to be always second guessing your decision. Either way Im sure you'll love the car !!
Old 5/2/05, 04:48 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I love my V6 automatic. I do alot of stop and go city driving and automatic was the way to go for me. I never even considered a manual, though I learned to drive in one. I added the Magnaflow Axleback exhaust and I love the sound it provides. Just think of the extra 5K you save as mod money.
You will not be displeased with a V6 imo. B)
Old 5/2/05, 04:49 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Spectacular cars....You will not be sad.
I adore mine.