V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT or V6 Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/05, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im adding GT fogs and dual exhaust. I was all set to buy the GT bumper covers from Casco, but the more I think about it, the more I talk myself out of it.

I like the GT bumpers, they look great, fit great, and are an easy solution. I really like the GT front bumper because it doesnt have the indent for the license plate, its much cleaner looking.

On the other hand I like the clean look of the V6 rear bumper.

Will it look funny if i keep the V6 rear bumper and buy just the Gt front bumper and painted side skirts.

Opinions please, Im looking solely at the appearence issues here. Cost is not a factor.

Im not looking for a GT wanna-be look, I just like duals and fogs.
Old 10/15/05, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I voted for GT bumpers even though that's not the route I took. You said cost was not a factor, but it was for me.
Old 10/15/05, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

I bought just the rocker panels from Cacso to begin with and then I was sandwiched between a Crown Vic and F-150 so I had the body shop replace with the Front and Rear with GT Bumpers and could not be more pleased. If price is no object go the Casco Route. IMO. Getting the rockers painted will be more expensive than you might think.
Old 10/15/05, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really liked the clean look of the V6 rear bumper. When I was going with duals, I thought I'd just cut out the notch for the left side. But, it'll never match exactly... though, you can get close. I know I'm a perfectionist and my eyes will always be drawn to the slight difference. I went with a GT bumper and just love it, especially with a couple of beautiful chrome pipes out the back!
Old 10/15/05, 02:30 PM
MSP
Banned

I didnt vote, but think if your going duals, the GT rear bumper is a good call.. I myself am not really into the GT foglights, but you make a good point about the license plate indent, and had never thought of it from that perspective..

So without really having anything to say which have a huge impact, I think the GT rear bumper is a good idea if your going dual.. Although, I dont think you will be happy unless you just bought the entire kit from Casco, so I say put your mind at ease, and just get the whole kit..

Ok I voted.. Just get the kit and be done! LOL!! Lifes too short anyway!
Old 10/15/05, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I went the Casco route for the bumpers on mine. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out
Old 10/16/05, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Casco kit on mine too (entire kit). I've had it for awhile, and got the summer special he had, so it was worth it when you factor in the price of the pneros I got and the rims. I love those wheels, classic mustang look. As for the rest of it, I love the front bumper and fogs....

...but now that I keep looking at the rear bumper, to be honest I actually like the rear bumper from my old 6. It looks cleaner, and more retro......and you can see more of the exhaust pipe, especially if you are running crome tips like I am.

Just my opinion, but you can't go wrong with Casco for the price. I still love the look of the car, but now it looks like a GT clone. In fact my 4.0 and 245 emblems just came in today. I want everyone to know I'm a proud V6 owner.
Old 10/16/05, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Eibach Pro-kit springs. It has settled down to about a full 2" drop over these first 1,500 miles, and even still, I have no ground clearance problems. The stock V6 front & rear bumpers tuck-in more than the GT's bumpers, so I have better angle of approach and angle of departure clearance. Also, I was able to get the cut-out well centered for the left side, and had my muffler man install beveled exhaust tips that barely protrude (see photo).
To get the pattern transferred from the right to the left, use a slightly heavy stock piece of paper (not cardboard). Cut-out just enough of the paper to straddle the stock pipe, so that the paper will lie smoothly on the curved bumper contour. Using a pencil, trace the outline of the outer exhaust opening, then cut this paper pattern out with scissors. Once you get the shape perfectly matching, flip this pattern over to the other side. I had masking tape on the left side of the bumper to draw onto it the reverse pattern. After final checks, I very slowly and with light pressure cut the opening with a box knife. Taking your time is key here, as you don't want to slip and cut beyond your opening.
Also,...
before anyone complains, please be advised that I am getting a new badge for the rear end to replace the GT badge. After I was asked by a very nice gentleman at the local Ford dealer "how do you like your GT?", I knew that I did not want to lie to him that it was not a V8, and I realized how ditzy it was in putting on GT emblems on a V6 in the first place. Nothing wrong with bare fenders and the regular badge on back. Basically, when I started all this, I casually thought the badges would be cool, and after comments on this forum and my experience at the dealer, I recognize that it wasn't a good idea at all.
And,...
I still like my 3D Carbon Boy Racer Wing. I get great complements from folks on it.
Old 10/16/05, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Gearhead@October 16, 2005, 11:35 PM

I still like my 3D Carbon Boy Racer Wing. I get great complements from folks on it.

:nono: Lose it.
Old 10/17/05, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Gearhead@October 17, 2005, 12:35 AM
I have the Eibach Pro-kit springs. It has settled down to about a full 2" drop over these first 1,500 miles, and even still, I have no ground clearance problems. The stock V6 front & rear bumpers tuck-in more than the GT's bumpers, so I have better angle of approach and angle of departure clearance. Also, I was able to get the cut-out well centered for the left side, and had my muffler man install beveled exhaust tips that barely protrude (see photo).
To get the pattern transferred from the right to the left, use a slightly heavy stock piece of paper (not cardboard). Cut-out just enough of the paper to straddle the stock pipe, so that the paper will lie smoothly on the curved bumper contour. Using a pencil, trace the outline of the outer exhaust opening, then cut this paper pattern out with scissors. Once you get the shape perfectly matching, flip this pattern over to the other side. I had masking tape on the left side of the bumper to draw onto it the reverse pattern. After final checks, I very slowly and with light pressure cut the opening with a box knife. Taking your time is key here, as you don't want to slip and cut beyond your opening.
Also,...
before anyone complains, please be advised that I am getting a new badge for the rear end to replace the GT badge. After I was asked by a very nice gentleman at the local Ford dealer "how do you like your GT?", I knew that I did not want to lie to him that it was not a V8, and I realized how ditzy it was in putting on GT emblems on a V6 in the first place. Nothing wrong with bare fenders and the regular badge on back. Basically, when I started all this, I casually thought the badges would be cool, and after comments on this forum and my experience at the dealer, I recognize that it wasn't a good idea at all.
And,...

Thats a lot of cool work there, I don't care for the wing but it's still unique and cool for some. So good job on making your ride your own.

As you can see from Gearhead's pics, its a clean looking dual setup, which ties into my comment on the GT rear bumper vs. our 6's. I got such a good price on my GT take off's I can't complain, however I do like the clean look of the 6 bumper with the duals. But everyone has thier own opinions, and going this route you do not have to cut or do any quess work.

As for the badges, I have always perfered the running pony, gives it that vintage look.
Old 10/17/05, 07:00 PM
V6 Member

I say go with the GT rear bumper. I got the front, side panels & rear from Casco & absolutely LOVE them. Couldn't be happier!
Old 10/17/05, 08:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
why trade trade in or just buy a GT ? if you really want a GT look, would not one end up spending all that money to get it there any ways but hey good on us all we are all unique in our own ways ! That's what makes us all SPECIAL.
Old 10/17/05, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I think Im going with the GT bumpers and sideskirts.

I didnt buy a GT because I got my Redfire V6 out the door for under 20k, at that time I couldnt find a GT for less than 33k after dealer markup. It wasnt worth the extra 13k+ for a GT. Im buying a custom chopper for x-mas this year, had I bought the GT, no chopper. The V6 is plenty fast enough for me. After duals, intake, and tune I think it will be just as quick as the bone stock 88 GT I had.