V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT take off dual exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/06, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently got dual exhaust installed on my v6 mustang. It was two GT take off's from Casco. I had them installed by a muffler shop and I was wondering if it's normal for the muffler to shake while the car is idiling? When you give the car gas they seem to stay still and are fine, but while idiling they shake pretty badly. Also, if this isn't normal, does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 2/18/06, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iCedOuT297 @ February 18, 2006, 12:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just recently got dual exhaust installed on my v6 mustang. It was two GT take off's from Casco. I had them installed by a muffler shop and I was wondering if it's normal for the muffler to shake while the car is idiling? When you give the car gas they seem to stay still and are fine, but while idiling they shake pretty badly. Also, if this isn't normal, does anyone know how to fix this?
[/b][/quote]

They didn't do a good job installing them. Sounds like a hanger issue. I would take it back.
Old 2/18/06, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree, take it back and get them to fix it for free. They shouldn't move at all under idle.
Old 2/19/06, 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. Something's definitely wrong there. Did they use the factory hangers?
Old 2/20/06, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ February 19, 2006, 11:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep. Something's definitely wrong there. Did they use the factory hangers?
[/b][/quote]

yeah they did.
Old 2/20/06, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I got the same thing done to mine as well and the exhaust (not sure if it is the mufflers or what) vibrates pretty badly sometimes while stopped in drive. If I put it in neutral (automatic trans.) it doesn't do it.
Old 2/21/06, 07:32 PM

OK, I had the same problem and this is what I found out and did to fix it. I used factory GT hangers and GT takeoffs. Had them installed by a great custom muffler shop. In idle and at some RPMs there was a terrible rattle/vibtation that drove me nuts. Almost sounded like a rock in the muffler. Well, I got under the car and noticed that the metal bar on the left (drivers side) muffler (the rod that is welded to the muffler that goes through the hanger attatched to the frame) was actually butted up against the frame. In other words, the tip of the hanger rod was up against the frame in the back. (This is the hanger farthest back. I took off the muffler (bolted on) and cut one inch off the rod...no more noise/vibration. I do not know if this is a V6 to GT conversion issue or if the system was installed too far aft...either way, that solved the problem.
Old 2/22/06, 07:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torkfastback @ February 21, 2006, 6:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, I had the same problem and this is what I found out and did to fix it. I used factory GT hangers and GT takeoffs. Had them installed by a great custom muffler shop. In idle and at some RPMs there was a terrible rattle/vibtation that drove me nuts. Almost sounded like a rock in the muffler. Well, I got under the car and noticed that the metal bar on the left (drivers side) muffler (the rod that is welded to the muffler that goes through the hanger attatched to the frame) was actually butted up against the frame. In other words, the tip of the hanger rod was up against the frame in the back. (This is the hanger farthest back. I took off the muffler (bolted on) and cut one inch off the rod...no more noise/vibration. I do not know if this is a V6 to GT conversion issue or if the system was installed too far aft...either way, that solved the problem.
[/b][/quote]

Something similar, I think. It sounded like the pipe was vibrating against my spare tire well, took it back to the muffler shop 3 times before they finally fixed the problem. They had to fabricate their own hangar as the stock one seemed loose and too close to the spare tire well. Here's what I'm talking about:

Stock hangar (passenger/right side)

Fabricated hangar (driver/left side)

Vibration gone... almost. It still hear it around 2K RPMs, but only when I'm driving below 30MPH and up an incline.