V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT Front Struts and other GT takeoffs

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/06, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apoligize if this is a repeat question but I DID search the V6 tech forum and could not find anything related to this:

Are the GT Front Struts on the '05's substantially different than the V6 front struts?

If I were to swap out the Front Struts on my 05 V6 Coupe for the GT struts, would I see any performance gains.

I am aware people do put the larger GT front stabilizer bar on the V6. I would do this at the same time as the strut upgrade if its a worthwile GT-takeoff upgrade for the V6.

Any needed changes to rear springs/shocks on the 05 V6 coupe if the front struts AND rollbar were upgraded to GT takeoffs?

I already have a GT takeoff rear antiroll bar installed....
Old 2/9/06, 04:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 9, 2006, 5:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Apoligize if this is a repeat question but I DID search the V6 tech forum and could not find anything related to this:
Are the GT Front Struts on the '05's substantially different than the V6 front struts?

If I were to swap out the Front Struts on my 05 V6 Coupe for the GT struts, would I see any performance gains.

I am aware people do put the larger GT front stabilizer bar on the V6. I would do this at the same time as the strut upgrade if its a worthwile GT-takeoff upgrade for the V6.
Any needed changes to rear springs/shocks on the 05 V6 coupe if the front struts AND rollbar were upgraded to GT takeoffs?

[/b][/quote]
I am wondering the same thing about the brakes as well.
Old 2/9/06, 04:51 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GMC Woo @ February 9, 2006, 6:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am wondering the same thing about the brakes as well.
[/b][/quote]

The front brake upgrade is kind of a no-brainer IMHO that'd I'd vote 'YES' to. The front brakes on the GT's are larger than the front brakes on the V6's. GT takeoff front brakes and calipers are a nice upgrade IMHO to the V6 because they are much larger rotors. The rear brakes on the V6 and GT are identical. The short money from Saleen for the front GT brake takeoffs are worth it IMHO. I'm considering doing that. Just dunno about the front struts...
Old 2/9/06, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the struts are one and the same V6 to GT.
Old 2/9/06, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the struts are one and the same V6 to GT.
Old 2/9/06, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Struts/Springs are pretty much the same for V6 and GT. Just got off the phone w/ Saleen and they researched this themselves. The only difference is the struts/springs/shoks are rated differently because of the weight difference of the car, so no real difference in performance for us V6 folks. If anything, since the V6 is lighter than the GT, doing a full takeoff parts swap my result in 'mustang 4-wheeler' since the V6 is lighter. That'd be like installing a ride 'uppering' kit instead of a 'lowering' kit [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] IMHO its not worth the time to change out V6 shocks/struts/springs for GT takeoff's.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] I did order the takeoff:

1. 13" front rotors
2. takeoff stabilizer bar
3. Floor mats (I've got ICAP w/ red leather and I'm pounding my red drivers side floormat to oblivion so I spent $15 on a cheap set of floormats that fit like OEM because they are OEM. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] Plus they are in black so they will still match my interior OK. I ordered a spare set of red floormats that I put away so I have a fresh set not to use. )

BTW: The price on the 4-wheel set 17" wheels has dropped to $375!! Now that the V6 has pony package the takeoff GT wheels have dropped dramatically over the past few months. The shipping from CA would be $100+. A local ford dealer here in GA has a set of 4 tires on his floor for sale so I'm going to see what they want for them or if they'll match the Saleen price.
Old 2/9/06, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've always read that the GT brakes are bigger and so are the rotors...hence the standard OEM 16 inch rim will not fit. Upgrading the brakes is a great idea, but you've got to install 17 rims and tires...if previous comments on TMS are correct.

Does anyone know if the front rotors on the V6 with the pony option are the GT rotors/brakes (up front)?
Old 2/9/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 9, 2006, 2:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
I understand that the V6 anti-sway bar is softer than the GTs. It really must be, since a V6 doesn’t have a rear anti-sway bar, right? With the GT rear bar in place, I think your front bar is relatively too soft, which creates a tendency for your car to plow. I would recommend that you get the GT front anti-sway bar installed too, in order to balance your handling, unless you want to start harvesting corn this Fall. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 09:31 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gearhead @ February 9, 2006, 9:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I understand that the V6 anti-sway bar is softer than the GTs. It really must be, since a V6 doesn’t have a rear anti-sway bar, right? With the GT rear bar in place, I think your front bar is relatively too soft, which creates a tendency for your car to plow. I would recommend that you get the GT front anti-sway bar installed too, in order to balance your handling, unless you want to start harvesting corn this Fall. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] I hear ya! Just an update on the takeoff parts from Saleen that are coming:

1. Front Floormats. El-Cheapo OEM Black floormats so I can save my red ones that came w/ ICAP.
2. GT takeoff front brakes.
3. GT takeoff front swaybar.

When I installed rear swaybar (where there was none before) I did not do the front @ that time. I agree -- I don't want to be driving a John Deere Farm Combine. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

I'm holding off on the Bullitt wheels for now even though the 17 inchers are now getting dirt cheap.. I'm going to compare-shop a set locally here 1st.
Old 2/10/06, 12:28 AM
GT Member

I do not see the point in upgrading brakes until you actually need the stopping power...as for swaybars rather than geeting the GT one i would probably get a beefier after market one, but i guess takeoffs arent my cup of tea.
Old 2/10/06, 10:31 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrumStyxs10 @ February 10, 2006, 2:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
..I do not see the point in upgrading brakes until you actually need the stopping power...[/b][/quote]

I've got a lot of mods in that I have not posted as yet to the forums because I'm still working on the pictures. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] I'll update exactly, why I do need the extra stopping power in a couple of days when I'm done w/ the pix. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 11:40 AM
GT Member

awsome man i can't wait to see!