GT brakes

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/12, 07:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT brakes

It's to be sure, to upgrade my v6 brakes to the GT ones all I need is this:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

I've read post(s) about it, I'm just making sure before I buy..
Old 1/8/12, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy
It's to be sure, to upgrade my v6 brakes to the GT ones all I need is this:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

I've read post(s) about it, I'm just making sure before I buy..
nope sorry. you dont want those parts from nto. to upgrade you need the larger brackets that the calipers attach too and the rotors. you already have the same calipers the gt uses. you can get the upgrade kit from cjponyparts or american muscle, i`m sure there are other places too. the kits come with the brackets, 2 new oem rotors and new bolts and slide pins if i recall. i got mine from cj on sale once for $125, and will be between $125-$150 most places. of course you need 17" wheels for it to fit also.

heres what the kit looks like
http://www.cjponyparts.com/FRONT-DIS...2010/p/M2300D/

Last edited by amustangrocks; 1/8/12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 1/8/12, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
nope sorry. you dont want those parts from nto. to upgrade you need the larger brackets that the calipers attach too and the rotors. you already have the same calipers the gt uses. you can get the upgrade kit from cjponyparts or american muscle, i`m sure there are other places too. the kits come with the brackets, 2 new oem rotors and new bolts and slide pins if i recall. i got mine from cj on sale once for $125, and will be between $125-$150 most places. of course you need 17" wheels for it to fit also.

heres what the kit looks like
http://www.cjponyparts.com/FRONT-DIS...2010/p/M2300D/
Thank you! So I just switch out my parts with those and that's it? Good time to paint them as well.
Old 1/15/12, 09:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
good save mike!! lol
Old 1/16/12, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy
Thank you! So I just switch out my parts with those and that's it? Good time to paint them as well.
yep you dont even have to remove the calipers from the car, just hang it with a wire to the side, i set mine on a tiny jackstand, swap your brackets and rotors and your golden. yep, great time for paint. since your gonna pull your pads for painting, clean em up and make sure to put some high temp grease on the pad ears where they sit into the tin clips. i was real happy with the upgrade, but not long after i did that, i needed rear rotors. you dont find those cheap like the frts, so i swapped out the rotors anyway with these shiny zink plated ones.

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10
good save mike!! lol
hehe, i love when that happens
Attached Thumbnails GT brakes-dscf0407.jpg   GT brakes-dscf0427.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 1/16/12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 2/12/12, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Add some stainless brake lines while youre in there!
Old 2/20/12, 10:50 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
That kit will work - if you look at the picture of the calipers you can see the brackets are attached. Just remove the bracket from the caliper and swap brackets and rotors and you are done.

The only difference between the NTO kit and the CJ kit is that the CJ kit deleted the calipers and pads and is just sending the brackets.
Old 2/25/12, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You will enjoy this upgrade over the stock V6 ones. You really don't know how whimpy the stockers are till you upgrade! I already had 17" rims so I didn't need to do much to upgrade. I had those on my car for almost a year then came across an awesome deal I couldn't pass up. GT500 take off Brembos and picked up a set of front & rear Baer 14" EradiSpeed+ rotors.
Here are Eleanor's fronts:

And the rears:
Old 3/7/12, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That kit will work - if you look at the picture of the calipers you can see the brackets are attached. Just remove the bracket from the caliper and swap brackets and rotors and you are done.

The only difference between the NTO kit and the CJ kit is that the CJ kit deleted the calipers and pads and is just sending the brackets.
good catch jim, i think the brackets are attached, but i would call to make sure. one difference is the cj kit is all brand new with new rotors, ive heard of a few people that werent too happy with the take off rotors, but might be worth the chance to have a set of calipers on the parts shelf. oh ya, and the backing plates that are on the v6 are the same as the gt.

tungsten, those are pretty sweet
Old 4/5/12, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
You will enjoy this upgrade over the stock V6 ones. You really don't know how whimpy the stockers are till you upgrade! I already had 17" rims so I didn't need to do much to upgrade. I had those on my car for almost a year then came across an awesome deal I couldn't pass up. GT500 take off Brembos and picked up a set of front & rear Baer 14" EradiSpeed+ rotors.
Here are Eleanor's fronts:

And the rears:

Did you have any issues installing the calipers? i am seriously considering this upgrade for my car now.. seems like since i installed my 20's i pretty much need to throw an anchor out to stop..
Old 4/6/12, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

those look huge inside there, but looks good and i bet they really kick butt. nice find.
Old 4/6/12, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by apocalypse
Did you have any issues installing the calipers? i am seriously considering this upgrade for my car now.. seems like since i installed my 20's i pretty much need to throw an anchor out to stop..
The GT500 Brembo's bolt on where the stock V6/GT calipers go. As far as using the Baer rotors all you need is a 3mm spacer before putting on the rotor. For the rear rotors you use the relocation brackets from Baer and there are no issues. If your 20" rims aren't at least 9" wide they might not clear the Brembo's so some spacers will need to be used.

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
those look huge inside there, but looks good and i bet they really kick butt. nice find.
Thanks!
Old 4/9/12, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
The GT500 Brembo's bolt on where the stock V6/GT calipers go. As far as using the Baer rotors all you need is a 3mm spacer before putting on the rotor. For the rear rotors you use the relocation brackets from Baer and there are no issues. If your 20" rims aren't at least 9" wide they might not clear the Brembo's so some spacers will need to be used.

cool...

thanks for the info.