V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Gear Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/07, 10:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Swap Question

One of the things I'd like to do in the future is change the whimpy 3.31 to somethning that will bring out the power band on my V6. 3.55 or 3.73.

Now changing the gears out won't be a big deal, but how do you deal with the computer? I've searched around, but couldn't find an answer.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Mike
Old 1/28/07, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by F150ATM
One of the things I'd like to do in the future is change the whimpy 3.31 to somethning that will bring out the power band on my V6. 3.55 or 3.73.

Now changing the gears out won't be a big deal, but how do you deal with the computer? I've searched around, but couldn't find an answer.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Mike
Your best bet would to be to pick up a handheld tuner like the SCT X-Cal2 which will let you change your gear ratio to correct the speedometer... I also believe you can have the computer reflashed at the dealership to correct for the new gears... although I'm not 100% sure and not sure what they charge...

also, i don't believe you'll find 3.55 for the 7.5...
Old 1/28/07, 02:14 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by F150ATM

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Mike
The 3.31 is whimpy if you have less than 350RWHP.... At 350RWHP and above , its the best deal since sliced bread... So if you have plans on using your God given right to 350+ RWHP, which you motor can easily attain, I wouldnt mess with the 3.31's...

My good friend Scrming recommends the SCT, however you would be better off with the Diablo PredatorSport! LOL!

How ya doin Scrming? Hows the Mistress?
Old 1/28/07, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MSP
The 3.31 is whimpy if you have less than 350RWHP.... At 350RWHP and above , its the best deal since sliced bread... So if you have plans on using your God given right to 350+ RWHP, which you motor can easily attain, I wouldnt mess with the 3.31's...

My good friend Scrming recommends the SCT, however you would be better off with the Diablo PredatorSport! LOL!

Why do you recommend 3.31s after 350 HP?
Gearing has to do with what you are going after, in my case I'm only pulling 4600 rpm crossing through the traps at 106, now why wouldn't I want a lower gear?
Old 1/28/07, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MSP

doing good...

Acutally i'm stepping down from the 4.10s to 3.73s this week... The 4.10's are just a little bit to much now that I've got the Vortech... LOL
Old 1/28/07, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'll be contacting Doug at BamChips. Maybe I'll be able to use the programmer on my F-150 as well.

Mike
Old 1/29/07, 05:45 AM
V6 Member

I've been running the 4:10's for over a year and I love them. My Stang is NA and if you plan to remain this way, 4:10's are the way to go. With the SCT 2, it will take you all of 5 minutes to change the computer to the new ratio. My advice, buy the tuner first, load the tune and your car will perform like a different car. The tuner should be your first mod, afterwards everything else will fall in to place.
Old 1/29/07, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 the tuner should be first.
Originally Posted by Racer3
With the SCT 2, it will take you all of 5 minutes to change the computer to the new ratio. My advice, buy the tuner first, load the tune and your car will perform like a different car. The tuner should be your first mod, afterwards everything else will fall in to place.
Old 2/6/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you also adding Limited Slip?

I'm considering going to 3.73 gears with Limited Slip but i'm having trouble finding anyone who sells them.

Anyone know the effect on Gas mileage going to these gears or even just the effect on RPMs at highway speeds.

I know you don't drive a Mustang for it's MPG or quiet highway ride, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.
Old 2/6/07, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I know you don't drive a Mustang for it's MPG or quiet highway ride, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.
Hey, that's not true. My V6 Mustang gets way better gas milage than our 2000 F-250 SuperDuty and is quieter.

If you're going to throw new gears in might as well add the LSD at the same time. That way you will save on labor charges over the long run. FRPP has em for the V6...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7827

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...rtKeyField=742
Old 2/6/07, 10:18 PM
V6 Member

I added LSD on my Camaro and was dissapointed.

I found overall traction to actually be better with out it. Here is why:

With LSD, you gain extra traction if both wheels slip when taking off - great idea with a big torque V8. Not so much with a V6.

With LSD if you loose traction in a corner (especially in the wet) the rear end comes around real fast, as both wheels have lost traction. Without LSD, only one wheel is spinning, and I find at least that cornering under unfavourable conditions is better without LSD.

Does this make sense?

Any way, having driven both, with a 200 +/- RWD car, I prefer non LSD.

When I'm behind the wheel of our 600+ hp small block chevy, I prefer to have equal power delivered to both rear wheels. Even then, it's one hell of a hand full.

Mike
Old 2/7/07, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I never really thought of it that way. The main reason I'm considering it is that I already have trouble not breaking the tire loose on a hard launch. I'm planning to get a CAI and Tune plus these gears so I figure it's just going to get harder and wheel spin is lost acceleration.

I do have Traction control in my V6. Would that change your opinion about the LSD on a V6? It's already proved useful a number of times when it was much slipperier than I expected.