V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing muffler for V6

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw on the Ford Racing webste that the V6 axle-back exhaust by Borla is now avaliable for $230. I was wondering if anyone has this yet, and if so, has any sound clips. I have a GT Take-off muffler right now, but have been thinking about gettingsomething with a more agressive sound.
Old 8/14/05, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The exhaust has an amazing sound. Ive been dieing to hear how it would in duals. Ill be getting you a link to the clips just as soon as I can find them. Looking now.

Edit: Found it really fast. Posted originally by Martimus on Stangnet.com forums. http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/displayim...album=100&pos=0
Old 8/14/05, 01:50 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Martimus has one. He is very pleased with it.
Old 8/14/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

http://2005stang.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=100
Old 8/14/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

What's up with this? The Ford Racing site has two statements about the V6 muffler: one) it's not for use on pollution-controlled vehicles, and two) it's legal in all 50 states for sound.

I get number two, but what do they really mean for number one?
Old 8/14/05, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mostly it means if you use it, and for some reason can't pass emissions testing, they don't want to hear from you....
Old 8/14/05, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pretty much.. just a blanket statement to cover their [donkeys] with.
Old 8/15/05, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

The Ford Racing exhaust IS amazing... its got that deep Borla bark that just sounds soooo good. As the Exhaust has settled in the sound has improved beyond whats represented on that audio clip (I need to get a new recorder before I can make new clips).
Old 8/18/05, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Martimus@August 15, 2005, 10:32 AM
The Ford Racing exhaust IS amazing... its got that deep Borla bark that just sounds soooo good. As the Exhaust has settled in the sound has improved beyond whats represented on that audio clip (I need to get a new recorder before I can make new clips).
could someone please post a link as to where they bought the ford exaust (or the borla) whichever one was in the sound clip... im interested in upgrading my exaust. thanks
Old 8/19/05, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Try your local Ford Racing dealership... here's a list of the resellers in Florida:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/where...egion.asp?id=7

Otherwise you can contact Kevin, aka 05stangkc, and he can hook you up!!
Old 12/18/05, 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Martimus@August 19, 2005, 8:42 AM
Try your local Ford Racing dealership... here's a list of the resellers in Florida:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/where...egion.asp?id=7

Otherwise you can contact Kevin, aka 05stangkc, and he can hook you up!!
For anyone interested, Ninosport is also selling the FRPP Borla exhaust for the V6, if you're looking for an online retailer. Free shipping on their exhaust parts, plus the 5% TMS discount made it a pretty good deal.
Old 12/18/05, 11:26 AM

Sounds sweet, really nice deep sound.
Old 1/15/06, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

$205 --- here

http://www.ford-racing-parts.com/SearchRes....x=0&Search.y=0
Old 1/16/06, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Yesterday My Steeda CAI + SCT reflash that I purchased from brenspeed.com for my 05 V6 was installed. Just before completing that install, my Ford Racing (Borla) muffler was also installed. I purchased the muffler from v6mustangstuff.com. We resisted the temptation to start the car until after we completed the Steeda CAI install + SCT reflash. I did not purchase my muffler from Brent @ Brenspeed because @ this time Brent only sells the MAC axle-back for the V6 and IMHO The FRPP/Borla exhaust is the ONLY exhaust to buy.

End result:

Simply amazing. The bass sound when first starting the car after completing both installs was incredible. The car has an amazing amount of addl power now. No more lag. Lots more 'oomph' and torque when pushing the car hard. Plus, the entire drivetrain seems a lot more smoother than before. Not that a stock 05 V6 has a lot of rough spots, but the improvement over stock is incredible. Brent @ Brentspeed ships his SCT reflashers w/ 3 tunes depending on gas octane. Well, I started with Brents 87 octane tune and we ran the car until we used approx 1/2 tank of gas. Driving around town we were amazed w/ the car. When we got on the highway we did notice some heavy drone @ exactly 2,250 RPM the very first time out. My car is running the stock open diff w/ the factory 3.31 rear axle ratio & 5 speed manual transmission.

After running a LOT of fun 'break-in' miles we got down to 1/2 - 1/3 of a tank. I topped it off with 93 octane gas so the tank 'mix' was approx 90-91 octane. I then reflashed my car a 2nd time w/ Brents 91 octane tune. By THIS time, the exhaust has settled in nicely and the 'drone' at 2,250 has subsided substantially. The car sounds so much more powerful yet NOT annoying at all. I'll eventually run this tank near empty and reflash the car a 3rd time w/ #3 of Brent's 3 tunes to run 92+ Octane.

Bottomline: IMHO this is the most common-sense mod one can make to a Mustang. Its possible w/ these cars to get all kinds of cool doo-dads and add-ons (seqential tail lights, start buttons in the middle of the dash, retro-spoilers, etc.) but at the end of the day, this CAI+SCT+BORLA mod is the most practical. I'm not knocking those other mods (I have seqentials myself) but this mod is well worth the time. I'd highly recommend getting a QUALTITY muffler like the Borla and a first-class steeda CAI + SCT reflash. Yes, you don't need to spend the $$$ on the CAI & SCT just to run the Borla, but they make a great combination. Keep in mind the exhaust does need to 'break-in' and be sure to run it for a couple-hundred miles before making any judgements on 'drone'.

Eric.
Old 1/16/06, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice report and congrats on the performance boosters!! It's amazing what a good tuner can do for our V6 stangs...

Now---you knew it was coming...

Old 1/16/06, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK So thats it i gotta get the CAI and the Tuner, I already bought her the borla....
thabnks for the breakdown on the mods...
Old 1/16/06, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 16, 2006, 1:24 PM
Nice report and congrats on the performance boosters!! It's amazing what a good tuner can do for our V6 stangs...

Now---you knew it was coming...

Coming... With the assistance of the Fraters of Tau Kappa Epsilon, Xi Chi Chapter @ Southern Poly here in Metro Atlanta, we got it done! I have pictures and I'll be posting all the details in a few days w/ pix. The entire install was photographed..
Old 1/16/06, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey is this thing smog legal in cali? not that i care i got a freind who lets me slide but just for info purposes
Old 1/16/06, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 16, 2006, 5:15 PM
Hey is this thing smog legal in cali? not that i care i got a freind who lets me slide but just for info purposes
I made no emissions changes whatsoever to my car. The Steeda CAI + SCT X-cal2 tune from brenspeed.com is the way to go. Its worth the $608.00. After you install the steeda CAI, Brent's does include an 87 Octane tune for the Steeda that is very conservative. If you are REALLY nervous about it, re-installing the factory stock airbox and taking out the steeda CAI is a 15 minute job.

Just be sure to save the box & a few nuts/bolts/rubber grommets. This 15 minutes also includes plugging in the SCT X-cal2 tuner to re-install the factory stock ECM flash load. Then, go in for your annual sniff-test and you'd be fine. You can leave the Axle-back muffler on. I know that Kalifornia is a tough state these days. The muffler itself is fine because you are leaving the rest of the exhaust (with the catalysts) intact.

I seriously doubt that going in for the sniff-test w/ Brents 92 tune and Steeda CAI will hurt your chances of passing, but its not a big deal to put the car back to stock w/ just those mods. Heck, you could also install JBA catforward headers, too. (JBA P/N 1617) and you'd still be fine. IMHO nothing I did w/ Brents tune and Steeda CAI is making my car a worse polluter or less 'green-friendly'. The JBA carforward heards are also 50-state CARB certified so if you wanted to spend ANOTHER $600 on yet ANOTHER mod you can & not worry about messing up w/ emissions. Oh, yea, the $608 Steeda CAI and SCT X-cal2 flash from Brenspeed does not include the $200 - $250 (somwhere in there I think) bux I spent @ V6mustangstuff to buy the Borla exhaust.

Hmm.... Steeda CAI + SCT X-cal2 +JBA Catforwards + Borla Axleback.. that'd make a NICE combo. ... Keep in mind that even the factory single-pipe on the V6 is also 2.5" Mandrel bent so its nice and open.... they just don't mandrel bend the GT 2.5"pipes @ the factory....
Old 1/17/06, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Is this what you are talking about? If not how is this one?

http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.a..._Section/11751/

Quick Reply: Ford Racing muffler for V6