V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Mustang Least Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/05, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2004 Civic SI before I bought the Stang... I rolled it at an angle into an 8ft' ditch comming around a corner and flipped three times. The glass on the rear windows and hatch broke from the pressure, and it was sure banged up, but I got up and walked away from it, along with two other people. Id have to call that reliability. Sure, the interior was nice and rattle free, but that was before I threw in a JL 12w6v2 into the hatch. Car rattled like heck then... hehe.

The interior on the Lotus is crap. Rather, there's nothing there. At all. I dont see how you can comare the two.

Its going to be a very long time before I consider going back to an econobox rattles in my car or not. I love it, and there is no substitute for a mustang, especially the new ones. The number of compliments I get, even after owning it for a year now, the stares, the looks, the sound of the engine.. there's just no substitue.
Old 12/23/05, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I used to drive a 1999 Honda Civic HX Coupe. One of the reasons why I switched to a 2005 Mustang V6 was because I'm just too old to drive a car that high school students drive, not to mention that I don't want to be a stereotypical Asian who drives Japanese cars.

As far as problems, my V6 has none. Knock on wood, I guess.
Old 12/23/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I have just under 11,000 om my car since 3/05. I have ran it hard every day I drive it. Sure it has a few quirks, like wanting to be filled upside down and the trunk ghost. The crazy sounds like some rattling change in my gear shift boot annoyance and the ocassional box of rocks sound when the clutch is out in netural. And now that its been cold out my sticky tires seem to be more sticky ???? causing some lag ie clutch spin when I hammer it down sometimes.

But aside from the first dealer oil change she has never been back to see the dealer and she probably wont.

I love it for all of her traits which is what makes my stang all mine. I had boring ultra whisper quiet cars and really they do not do it for me like this car does when I crack the door and the window creeps down and I drop into that seat and see the little glint of chrome on the dash and fire her up and hear the :loud: exhuast come to life and purr.

Even my mailman who see cars drive by all the time said my car has the best sound out of the cars he has seen driving around. And we have vetts and muscle cars and redneck hillbilly trucks with their semi exhaust etc.

Not that my car is anything special and he does not even know mine is modified. But he was refering to Ford really got this one right, meaning the 05 V6 mustang. He knew my car was a V6 but was still amazed at the sound.

So there you have it. What makes it a mustang is how different it is from other models. Love it or Leave it, but being an ex import tuner I simply have fallen in love with this mustang
Old 12/23/05, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

So far I've had less trouble with my first year Mustang then my first year 03 Accord Coupe.
Old 12/25/05, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

The mustang's have dash rattle...? Mine is supposed to be here this week, i am worried now, i had never heard anything about this. Is that an '05 problem or has it carried over to '06 as well?
Old 12/25/05, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly its just another sign of American car manufacturing... The rattle isn't always bad but I suspect things like "spirited driving" and Skanker stereo's don't help it much! :bang:

Old 12/26/05, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

The new F-150 is completley rattle free. I refuse to accept that its simply american car manufacturing.
Old 12/26/05, 09:03 AM

I've always had a negative feeling toward CRs since the new car issue for 1979-they tested two new Mustangs but declined to test a 5.0l model because it was "too much engine for the car"-this was with 157hp.
As for reliablity of cars I manage an auto parts store and peaple sometime think we are bartenders for autos because we have heard every positive and negative about all kinds of cars. I've had guys tell me that the new Honda they bought is a piece of crap and I've had a guy tell me that the rusted claptrap Aerostar sitting outside is the best vehicle he's ever owned. I had a Rav-4 that had a problem with the pwr window switch-the dealer told me it was $600.00-luckily a wrecking yard customer of mine had one for 35.00.
Remember for a lot of peaple owning a Mustang is a lifestyle choice just like owning a Harley-just corner a few Harley owners and ask them just how many problems they have had with their bikes-most will roll their eyes and mumble that its something they just expect.
Old 12/26/05, 10:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods: Shouldn't this be in the general 2005+ area? It's not really a V6 performance topic.
Old 12/26/05, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by P_Kiley@December 26, 2005, 12:56 PM
Mods: Shouldn't this be in the general 2005+ area? It's not really a V6 performance topic.

I definitely agree here, especially since it is about CR! CR shouldn't be in a tech forum, considering most of thier reviews are based on limited data, no real trend analysis and sometimes make me wonder if they are biased (i.e. paid off or stuck on things like where the cup holders are). I'm sure opinions vary, but I have heard mechanics complain about CR and my father wont even entertain a conversation about it at all. LOL.
Old 12/29/05, 09:12 PM
GT Member

heh been out of town. I'm not going anywhere, i've still got Wendy and she's kicking hard. I've got a new muffler to put on her sitting in my truck and I hand washed her in 36 degree weather a couple nights ago. So my love for her is unquestionable. It just makes me angry that Detroit can be so blind. They did great jobs coming up with the body and the motor and tuning the exhaust to sound like bullitt, then they throw in some retro styling into the intrument cluster and chrome around the air vents. Then it seems like they were like "OH YEAH! we gotta build the rest of the dashboard." This is a great car and the potential from it is absurd. I doubt I'll ever sell it (knock on wood). I mean it's an entry level sports car, and you can do simple and still have it be more stylish. I mean look at GM, they got complacent and look where it's gotten them. Toyota has passed them and Ford is hot on their heels. It will kill me if they decide that the styling and performance are 'enough' and not continue to improve and innovate.