V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Holset V6 Mustang Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/08, 01:56 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
I remember the stock valve spring issue rears its ugly head between 5500 and 6000 rpm. You will notice a lot of 4.0 dyno sheets, FI or NA have a little bump at that RPM. Shimming the valve springs fixes that issue, and also makes the high rpm power band smoother, and gives you on an FI car, up to a 20hp bump up top.

If the dyno sheet is smoothed out, its not as noticable.
Yeah I should be back on the dyno within a few weeks. I ordered an HX35 compressor wheel, which should allow the system to build boost even faster than it does now. So the TQ curve should increase slightly, and I will also replace the flowmaster series 40 mufflers with some Borla XS or MagnaFlow turbo mufflers, which will allow the engine to flow more efficiently throughout the rpm band. My next dyno without a doubt will easily get me passed 400RWHP @ 9psi on 91 octane. Remember my maf counts for 375RWHP is 154gm/s. Well with my adjusted tune and intake I have seen as high as 171gm/s @ 9psi.. This is above 400RWHP.

I saw your car on the dyno! That thing is sweet Rygen! Sounds nasty!
Old 5/30/08, 01:17 PM
MSP
Banned

Silicone Ceramic Coating of Turbine!

Here are some pics of the turbine housing coated with Silicone Ceramic paint. It works great. It has cooled the engine bay down from radiant turbine heat tremendously. The turbo also sounds louder at idle, since the heat is trapped inside, which allows the turbo to maintain more heat, and maintain a higher idle RPM.

The turbo already spools fast, so its too hard to tell whether or not its spooling any faster. However, on a dyno this more efficient turbine housing setup will produce more HP and TQ, since the turbo can spool more freely due to increased temperature. However it does appear that my cruising speeds based on throttle position have more feedback with less throttle input.

This coating was placed on the entire up-pipe towards the turbo. The trapping of heat actually begins before the turbine. The down pipe was also coated since it also radiates lots of heat. Also the hotter the exhaust gases are kept before the muffler, helps to deepen the exhaust note under WOT.

Last edited by MSP; 5/30/08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 5/30/08, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

you know . MSP. props to you for trying out so much stuff and still on the stock motor. im going on number 3 here. keep on tracking man.
Old 5/30/08, 02:45 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by armycook1981
you know . MSP. props to you for trying out so much stuff and still on the stock motor. im going on number 3 here. keep on tracking man.
Thanks Armycook1981! Yeah still on my first motor! She is pulling like a ****, I have really tried my best to keep her out of trouble.

What handheld are you using? I am using a Diablo Predator, in which I have created all my own tunes.

Can we pinpoint all popped motors to having been tuned with an SCT? Of course things happen. However how many motors do you know of, which have been popped with a Diablo Predator as the tuning device? Just curious...?

Just trying to get an idea of the ratio between number of popped motors running SCT vs Diablo.. I have no idea what the ratio could be, however it would be a good idea for you to do some poking around and determine a ratio..
Old 6/1/08, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has nothing to do with SCT vs. Diablo, why even argue that point. Has to do with the decisions the owners make, and how greedy they get. Most blown motors I've seen can be attributed to momentary lapses of common sense (myself included).
Old 6/5/08, 09:21 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Has nothing to do with SCT vs. Diablo, why even argue that point. Has to do with the decisions the owners make, and how greedy they get. Most blown motors I've seen can be attributed to momentary lapses of common sense (myself included).
Yes thats true! Also VMP's V6 Mustang is also still on its first engine @ 400RWHP Vortech, as well as Fazm @ 458RWHP, and they are both running SCT handhelds. So yeah it must be the urge to get the track times down, before evaluating the tune properly.

So your 100% correct.

Last edited by MSP; 6/5/08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 6/7/08, 11:15 AM
MSP
Banned

@Rygen

I decided that I will keep the Flowmasters and just run some electronic cuts-outs. The electronic cut-outs are pretty sweet. They have an on and off switch, and are activated by a push button. They have 3 pre-sets. 1/4, 1/2, and Full opening. So I will be able to dump the exhaust before the mufflers in those increments. I got all the parts coming in next week, and once I get that setup installed, I will get back on the dyno.

The cut-outs will be after my magnaflow catalytic conveter which dumps out to dual 2.5in. So I will have 1 cut out per side. The control mechanism will control both dumps from one unit.

Here is the setup which goes after the downpipe on my setup. I will have 2 of these! So this will allow me to open and close the cut-outs at will. Still allowing me to keep the great sound of the Flowmaster Series 40 Mufflers. But maintain the ability to increase HP on the fly while driving. Free flowing the exhaust like this could add anywhere from 20RWHP to 75RWHP on the fly using it in conjunction with a turbo setup. If used in combination with an electronic boost controller, the gains on the fly will be tremendous. Which together would allow you to seriously alter the HP of the car without getting out of the drivers seat.

Old 6/8/08, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen guys at the track run electronic cut outs. You going to dyno it with the cutouts enabled? And yes, props for trying these different setups out!
Old 6/9/08, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

MSP i to bought a single electric cut out. I would have to goback and check my emails but i forgot the brand LOL.. its was roughly mid 100's i think but i ordered all Stainless steel and a DUMP extension to direct the noise to the ground..

Itll be right after the down pipe a few inches think where people stick there x and y's at but atad closer towards the motor.
Old 8/20/08, 02:07 PM

MSP, can you elaborate a little bit more on how your twin scroll system is designed? I am considering going the route of custom turbo and would be looking more into how this works. I am amazed on how you can make 5-6psi at 1000rpm without spooling. That is just nuts!!
Props for all this work for the 4.0!
Old 8/21/08, 11:05 PM
V6 Member

how much did it cost?
Old 8/28/08, 09:54 PM

Is there any chance of a picture of the headers to the turbo? This is what i am most interested in on your car. Did you create custom headers?? From what i have read, twin scroll systems needs custom headers to take advantage of the pulse of the exhaust coming out of the different cylinders at different times which helps create the fast spooling characteristics of the twin scroll design. Also having a free flowing exhaust port or two (i have seen on a couple twin scroll kits) is what helps keep the back pressure down, no?

Correct me if i am wrong. I am still trying to learn about this whole twin scroll stuff.
Thanks.
Old 8/29/08, 12:29 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is ridiculous. Great job representing the garage builders. Goes to show you can still build a killer beast with some ingenuity, ability and fresh ideas in your driveway