V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/07, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster on a V6

Would flowmaster on a V6 sound stupid? I've only ever had a v8 and never really paid attention to what a 6cyl with flowmaster would sound like.
Old 3/12/07, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard clips before and they sounded pretty good.
Old 3/12/07, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

they arent going to sound much different, as long as the set up is close
Old 3/12/07, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds really good for a v6 http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wn7KTGOG7yw
Old 3/13/07, 12:50 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the link. That sounds pretty nice. Most likely I'd only have single exhaust. Wonder what that sounds like in the car. Last thing i want is for it to be as loud as my truck was inside. After 6 years I was happy to get rid of that. LOL
Old 3/13/07, 05:05 AM
GT Member

People will think you are a pretender or wannabee, but.... to each his own.
Old 3/13/07, 06:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by robair
People will think you are a pretender or wannabee, but.... to each his own.
I totally disagree. There is nothing wrong with putting an exhaust kit on a v6. It will not sound like a big v8, but it should have a nice grunt.

I had Flowmaster's cat-back (connected to y-pipe and was dual mufflers/outlets) on my 2000 V6, and it sounded a little louder than (and very similar to) a stock GT, which was fine with me. Also, it looked really good seeing the two mufflers hanging, just like the GT did for that generation.

In terms of resonance, it probably will have some, because every exhaust kit (with the exception of Corsa) amplifies drone. But, in the 2000, it wasn't that bad at all...not nearly as bad as the V8's.

Now, if you are trying to get a big muscle car V8 sound, then forget it: the V6 is just that--a 6 cylinder. A 6 cyl will never sound like a 8 cyl car. But, it does sound good, and I do recommend it.
Old 3/13/07, 07:29 AM
GT Member

if i were you i wouldnt waste my money on flowmasters. i thought they too would sound good and loud until i heard them in person on a v6. Dual GT take off set up sounded better and louder. i now have mac's and they sound awesome and are nice and loud. if you like the drone then i say you go with macs. the drone has calmed down on my car, but its totally up to you.
Old 3/13/07, 07:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Horrific_Ending
if i were you i wouldnt waste my money on flowmasters. i thought they too would sound good and loud until i heard them in person on a v6. Dual GT take off set up sounded better and louder. i now have mac's and they sound awesome and are nice and loud. if you like the drone then i say you go with macs. the drone has calmed down on my car, but its totally up to you.
I will agree that the flowmasters don't seem to sound as good on the S197's as they did on the Fox's and the SN95's. Obviously, they are different engines, but still...

I was a little disappointed when I heard the Flowmaster kit on a new GT, and the drone was terrible on it.
Old 3/13/07, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I bet a pair of stingers would sound greeat on a v6 .
Old 3/14/07, 12:24 AM
GT Member

Yeah I'm not really looking for loud just something a little meaner sounding that won't be too loud inside that car.
Old 3/14/07, 11:49 AM

Go with the GT takeoffs. I had the single flowmaster and it sounded like a Honda. I took it back an hour later and had it removed. I put the GT takeoffs on and they get louder and deeper after a few thousand miles. They sound great.

-Tom
Old 3/14/07, 10:22 PM
GT Member

Looking to stay with the Single Exhaust. I don't want the pipes hanging below the bumper and I don't want to spend the money for a GT bumper. Maybe once I'm able to get the bumpers at work then I'll go duel. Should be able to get the bumper for around $75 but thats probably a few months away before we see them.
Old 3/14/07, 10:26 PM
GT Member

exhausted

Let me tell you why the flowmaster and every other muffler doesn't sound as good on the s197's...think about it! let me just ask all of you one question and you will figure it out on your own,now this is my opinion. all of the past mustangs, where were the mufflers located? forward of the axle, not at the very back! to me it doesn't give the muffler any chance to develope a nice tone!!!!!!! what do you think? I noticed under the car under the back seat there is a couple of pockets that just might house a couple of mufflers, its really more under front seats.

OKAY! here's what I found for those of you that want to put Flows on the V6 and V8, I put my car on my kwiklift and this is what I found!!! Right at the trans rear mount there are two pockets that measure 10" from frame rail to driveshaft tunnel an around 13" long!!! and from the floor pan to the bottom of the frame rail 5" now the size of a 40 series Flow is 9 3/4 X 13" X 4 1/4 thick....YES!! it will fit and you won't have to give up ground clearance and as far as I can tell still plenty of room for driveshaft. I think if you do this You will get that traditional sound for the mustangs, because the flows will be under the car and NOT AT THE BACK!.If any one does this keep us posted on results.
Old 3/15/07, 12:21 AM
GT Member

I think I found what I want. I listened to the clips and I know its over the computer and not in person but on the PC it sounded exactly like what I wanted. Heres the link.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=948
Old 3/15/07, 12:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangcr8z
Let me tell you why the flowmaster and every other muffler doesn't sound as good on the s197's...think about it! let me just ask all of you one question and you will figure it out on your own,now this is my opinion. all of the past mustangs, where were the mufflers located? forward or the axle, not at the very back! to me it doesn't give the muffler any chance to develope a nice tone!!!!!!! what do you think? I noticed under the car under the back seat there is a couple of pockets that just might house a couple of mufflers

I bet you're right. Honestly I didn't even realize that the Muffler was at the very rear untill tonight when I went to check the mail. I just assumed it would be under the car more.
Old 3/15/07, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Horrific_Ending
I totally agree. My neighbor installed the flowmasters and they have a truck sound. My opinion - go with the GT Takeoffs. Much nicer tone.
Old 3/15/07, 11:00 AM
GT Member

I am interesting in the dual set up with GT mufflers and the Y pipe from Ninosports... has someone have experience with this combo???
Old 3/17/07, 10:02 PM
GT Member

I have the magnaflows

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx
I think I found what I want. I listened to the clips and I know its over the computer and not in person but on the PC it sounded exactly like what I wanted. Heres the link.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=948
I have the magnaflows, there not to bad, they have descent tone not to droning, I think you'll like them, I have had a few compliments
Old 3/17/07, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

NO sound clip but I got Flows on my car and I got to say the sound is great. I had JBA's and they sounded ricy IMO,

Quick Reply: Flowmaster on a V6