V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Flooring it. V6 response

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/06, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooring it. V6 response

I just wanted to get some input from others with a stock V6. When I step on the gas, I am feeling a really... well... laggy response. Now I am unfairly comparing this car to a 92 camaro RS that I also own in which the milisecond you step on the gas it leaves a cloud of white smoke and takes off.
But I feel like there is just a slow response time when I put the petal to the floor... slower than it should be, even on a stock v6. Anyone have any suggestions, or notice the same thing with theirs?
Old 6/22/06, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

we all have it..."great new technology"

just get a tune.
Old 6/22/06, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

A good SCT X-cal 2 tune from a reputable dealer will get rid of that annoying throttle lag.... Doug at Bamachips is one of the best...

http://www.bamachips.com/

While you're at it, toss on a C&L or Tunable Induction intake and free up some more hp!
Old 6/22/06, 02:47 PM

Thanks

Excellent, thank you for the info. Yes I am in the process of unstocking my stock car. I am installing JBA headers and exhaust, so I guess while I am doing that I can get it tuned.
Appreciate the info.
Old 6/22/06, 02:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i recommend brenspeed.com for you custom tuning... but what do i know
Old 6/25/06, 12:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitch Black
i recommend brenspeed.com for you custom tuning... but what do i know
You`ve done your home work, brenspeed is the best deal I can find on an Xcal2
Old 6/25/06, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

<---got mine from brenspeed. ran a 14.91 at the track 100% stock except for his canned 91 octane tune. Same tires, everything.
Old 6/28/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I've also noticed alot of lag on mine, i have a manual transmisison, and even when flooring it, all gears, it really just doesnt go anywhere. Won't a "tune" void the factory warranty?
Old 6/28/06, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Airwolf
I've also noticed alot of lag on mine, i have a manual transmisison, and even when flooring it, all gears, it really just doesnt go anywhere. Won't a "tune" void the factory warranty?
no.... just return the car to stock if you take it in for service...
Old 7/8/06, 03:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just got my SCT Xcal 2 from Brenspeed. Its like a different car, my only add on other than Ford Performance Parts traction-lok. Everything previously posted here is true. JUST DO IT !
Old 7/20/06, 11:48 AM

update

Hey I just wanted to update. The car has a new look sound and feel.
I've installed JBA headers and JBA exhaust with H pipe, as well as the GT bumper. The GT bumper gives it a very mean look, and the exhaust gives it a very loud mean sound. My only disapointment is the way the parts were shipped. The JBA system is shipped in a very small box with very little protection against shipping damage (I guess half their fault and half the company I bought it from for shipping it in the JBA box). The ends of the pipes were slightly bent in so they needed to be reshaped before they could fit.

Next on my list is intake and tuning. I found a package deal at a place called RPMoutlet.com and I was wondering if anyone else has bought this and what they think?
Old 7/20/06, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Depends on the intake you're looking at .. we've seen tests and gains on most of them so let us know which one you're looking at RPMoutlet is known to heavily inflate gains on their site, and some people have reported bad experiences with them - others have reported great service.
Thanks for keeping us updated, btw! Its always great to see what people are doing and how they're progressing. I still dont have an intake yet.. hehe. But SHHH no one knows that.

BTW, I reccomend Doug from Bamachips 100% for all your tuning needs.
Old 7/25/06, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Unhappy

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I got my tune from Doug, and really I couldn't tell a difference in anything at all. I got the 93 torque tune. It still lags when you put your foot in the floor and the shift firmness is the same. I can only go up to 25% on the tuner.
Old 7/26/06, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Buschris
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I got my tune from Doug, and really I couldn't tell a difference in anything at all. I got the 93 torque tune. It still lags when you put your foot in the floor and the shift firmness is the same. I can only go up to 25% on the tuner.
If you can`t tell a difference something is wrong ! Are you sure you loaded it right? Hook it up and read the status to make sure.
Old 7/27/06, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your butt must be numb. Or somethings wrong... Ive NEVER heard of anyone not noticing a difference after Doug's tunes. How long have you had the tune installed? Have you tried contacting Doug about it? Do you think we're all just a bunch of loonies for paying that much for a tuner and tune and then not seeing any real gains and ranting forever on the boards about it in numerous posts?
Old 7/28/06, 09:00 PM
V6 Member

Dude, I have a V6...
Yes, I had the right tune in there. I erased the tunes that came with the X-cal with a program called Liveload, and added a 87 stock xtr tune with my modifications and the 93 xtr torque tune. The 87 tune equals the 93 tune, and yes I added 93 premium fuel. I have tried this tune several times and keep shaking my head. That 87 xtr tune really made a difference, especially the modified shift schedule and the 25% firmness at WOT. The torque limiter(?) seems like it is still there. I went back stock for a week, then the 87 xtr for a week then the 93 for a week. All three tunes take off slow as hell, the only one that I like is the 87 that I modified. That 93 btw is exactly the way Doug sent it to me, and I even went to the SCT forum and had Ryan turn it into a ll3 file. I then added the firmness to it and it shift a little firmer, but acts otherwise like the stock tune. I have since inquired about "fixing" my tune and Doug wants another $75??? WTF?

Lately I have added the Tunable Induction intake and added 5% more fuel, haven't had any lights come on in three weeks. Should I take the fuel back out and try it?

On another note, when I got my xcal and used it, I was UNIMPRESSED with all three tunes on it. I complained to the dealer and got no help. No refund, nada. The tunes really suck, NO difference in driving at all, and you call that firm shifting? blah No MPG increase, no throttle response, nada. So much for SCT's technology. They claim all sorts of stuff right on the box and they don't deliver.

Doug sent another tune to try out, I'll report when I can fill up with 93. I hope I can eat my words after this....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Tungsten.bmp (428.5 KB, 154 views)
Old 8/1/06, 07:01 PM
V6 Member

Well, the 93 tune runs just fine. Still unimpressed with takoff and shifting but hey, it's a V6 right? Doesn't feel like enough power to justify using 93 over 87 however.
Old 8/2/06, 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I`m finding way better throttle response off a standing start with half to 3/4 on the gas pedal, it will actually break both rear tires loose with traction-lok this way compared to a noticable lag under WOT. I`m sure its the difference in air velocity through the throttle body.
Old 8/2/06, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

You can do that with a traction lok? ****, I can't spin one tire hardly on wet asphault. Go figure...
Old 8/2/06, 05:57 PM
GT Member

You can do that with a traction lok? ****, I can't spin one tire hardly on wet asphault. Go figure...
I can and I don't have a tune! haha... (don't have trac control)

Quick Reply: Flooring it. V6 response