V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

First track times with the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/06, 12:07 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Actually on a broad scale, I do, as part of my profession I have to maintain many IT certifications, some of which require up to a year of preparation and study followed by several days of examination in a lab environment. Not to mention that there is still the written examinations I have to go through.

So, I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish through self education, experimentation, trial and error, etc. I agree with the quest for knowledge as I prescribe it every day. However, when one of my less experienced engineers wants to learn the ins and outs of the spanning tree protocol, I have them learn in a test environment. In a production environment, there is no tolerance for experimentation and/or more than likely, risking the stability/health of the network.

So, what I mean is, I agree and applaud you for your diligence to learn the 4.0 and actually tune it yourself. However, I do not agree doing it with your daily driver that you depend on to get to and from work, without the aid of a 4.0 veteran. This is why I recommended you to liaise with someone like Doug, or Lidio, or perhaps Justin.

After in-depth conversations with Powerhouse, I have given serious thought to gaining proficiency in the area you are knee deep in now. So I will begin my research and when I am ready to start on the hard core aspect of it, I will get another DD to fall back on.

I really mean no offence, just looking out for you. And don’t take this as me underestimating you, because I don’t in anyway. Just giving you something to think about if you don’t already have someone like Doug, Lidio or Justin looking over your shoulder to make sure everything is ok.
Thanks for your concern old friend! I do mean friend.. Publicly we speak as if we are on opposite sides of the fence.. In private, we are each others most supportive fan. LOL! Dont worry..

Part of the secret to street tunning is using a gear which allows you to judge critical areas of the RPM band at a speed which allows you to spot inconsitencies within the tune.. I have found this gear to be 4th and 5th gear.. These gears allow the engine to escalate at a pace where fundemental observation can be seen and responded to in a timeframe which will be soon enough to save the engine from damage.. The fundemental characteristics of a tune can be viewed properly, and patterns can emerge which can be understood..

Anyway, dont want to bore you.. Ever heard of the Powerhouse Twins? These are 2 guys which own 2 of the most radical 2005 V6 Mustangs in the US.. The cars were hand built and tuned by the Master Bowen himself.. It is said, the cars can out accelerate a Ferrari 360 Modena in a straight line from a dead stop.. LOL!! Look'em up! The Powerhouse Twins!
Old 5/30/06, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSP
Thanks for your concern old friend! I do mean friend.. Publicly we speak as if we are on opposite sides of the fence.. In private, we are each others most supportive fan. LOL! Dont worry..

Part of the secret to street tunning is using a gear which allows you to judge critical areas of the RPM band at a speed which allows you to spot inconsitencies within the tune.. I have found this gear to be 4th and 5th gear.. These gears allow the engine to escalate at a pace where fundemental observation can be seen and responded to in a timeframe which will be soon enough to save the engine from damage.. The fundemental characteristics of a tune can be viewed properly, and patterns can emerge which can be understood..

Anyway, dont want to bore you.. Ever heard of the Powerhouse Twins? These are 2 guys which own 2 of the most radical 2005 V6 Mustangs in the US.. The cars were hand built and tuned by the Master Bowen himself.. It is said, the cars can out accelerate a Ferrari 360 Modena in a straight line from a dead stop.. LOL!! Look'em up! The Powerhouse Twins!
Wow.

This time, I'm actually not trying to debate with you. I'm on your side on this one despite the “read in between the lines” sarcasm I am tasting here. I also understand the basic concept/significance of gear/rpm on a dyno tune. Both Chris@Excessive and Lidio@AltAuto have explained these concepts to me.

Like I said, I didn’t mean any offence, and I am not doubting your capabilities. I’m not attacking you personally; I was just looking at it from a broader view. I want you to succeed in every endeavour you take on, as it is a contribution to the stang community everywhere.
Old 5/30/06, 02:14 PM
MSP
Banned

Wow.

This time, I'm actually not trying to debate with you. I'm on your side on this one despite the “read in between the lines” sarcasm I am tasting here. I also understand the basic concept/significance of gear/rpm on a dyno tune. Both Chris@Excessive and Lidio@AltAuto have explained these concepts to me.

Like I said, I didn’t mean any offence, and I am not doubting your capabilities. I’m not attacking you personally; I was just looking at it from a broader view. I want you to succeed in every endeavour you take on, as it is a contribution to the stang community everywhere.
LOL!! I was complimenting you.. No Sarcasm in this post Rygen...
Old 5/30/06, 02:54 PM
MSP
Banned

@Rygen

Dont mean to thread hijack, just keeping you informed on my progress.. LOL!

Well, got the water tank mounted in the trunk, and the water line is plumed to the engine bay.. I put 1 gallon of water in the tank and sucked it from the engine bay, and it took a split second to get a mouth full.. LOL!

Tomorrow, I will mount the pump and check valve in the engine bay.. After that, I will run the wiring schematic for all the components, and mount the water activation LED under the Air-Temp gauge in the cockpit. I will also mount an on/off switch in the cockpit..

Once thats done I will mount the spray nozzle in front of the throttle body, and adjust boost level activation.. I need to order some Snow Perfromance boost cooler soon.. In the meantime I will get some statistics on just water injection.. Once the boost cooler gets here, I'll be off to the dyno....

Hows your Intercooler/Nitrous Sprayer mod coming along? Have you started it yet? That is going to be an awsome mod.. Make sure you do it..
Old 5/30/06, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MSP
@Rygen

Dont mean to thread hijack, just keeping you informed on my progress.. LOL!

Well, got the water tank mounted in the trunk, and the water line is plumed to the engine bay.. I put 1 gallon of water in the tank and sucked it from the engine bay, and it took a split second to get a mouth full.. LOL!

Tomorrow, I will mount the pump and check valve in the engine bay.. After that, I will run the wiring schematic for all the components, and mount the water activation LED under the Air-Temp gauge in the cockpit. I will also mount an on/off switch in the cockpit..

Once thats done I will mount the spray nozzle in front of the throttle body, and adjust boost level activation.. I need to order some Snow Perfromance boost cooler soon.. In the meantime I will get some statistics on just water injection.. Once the boost cooler gets here, I'll be off to the dyno....

Hows your Intercooler/Nitrous Sprayer mod coming along? Have you started it yet? That is going to be an awsome mod.. Make sure you do it..
That project will start after a few more track visits. And I'm thinking of spraying C02! Its less expensive than Nitrous, just as cold and a lot cheaper. Though it is not as dense, but that does not matter cause it would fog the intercooler.

Still researching this one.
Old 5/30/06, 03:58 PM
MSP
Banned

That project will start after a few more track visits. And I'm thinking of spraying C02! Its less expensive than Nitrous, just as cold and a lot cheaper. Though it is not as dense, but that does not matter cause it would fog the intercooler.

Still researching this one.
Anything which has the ability to freeze the intercooler below ambient temp, will be good..

Also, a C02 bulb in front of the throttle body intake inside the intake path will be good.. You will figure out something I'm sure.. Did Scrming get his car yet? I know he is taking care of the new baby, which requires alot of work.. I cant wait to hear about his first impressions..
Old 5/31/06, 02:19 PM
GT Member

OK --- I finally had a chance to stop by here and catch up on one hell of a thread....

Looks like June 14th , unless something changes with the baby/wife or just plain old crappy weather here, I am going to the track!! Can't promise anything crazy first time out... but I'll atleast get a good starting point.

I should have the new plugs by then, but will still not have the new larger Cobra Heat Exchanger and larger pulley in yet - so this will simply be a benchmark and test run. Hopefully I can get my cousin and his GTO there to and I can have his spanking on Vid as well and with a timeslip
Old 5/31/06, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by screaminyellin6
OK --- I finally had a chance to stop by here and catch up on one hell of a thread....

Looks like June 14th , unless something changes with the baby/wife or just plain old crappy weather here, I am going to the track!! Can't promise anything crazy first time out... but I'll atleast get a good starting point.

I should have the new plugs by then, but will still not have the new larger Cobra Heat Exchanger and larger pulley in yet - so this will simply be a benchmark and test run. Hopefully I can get my cousin and his GTO there to and I can have his spanking on Vid as well and with a timeslip
Awesome man, way to go. Can't wait to see what you put down. I know how you feel too, on my first 1/8 run, I wasn't trying to break records, just get a feel for the turbo.

Keep us posted.
Old 5/31/06, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MSP
Anything which has the ability to freeze the intercooler below ambient temp, will be good..

Also, a C02 bulb in front of the throttle body intake inside the intake path will be good.. You will figure out something I'm sure.. Did Scrming get his car yet? I know he is taking care of the new baby, which requires alot of work.. I cant wait to hear about his first impressions..
I heading down to MRT tomorrow morning (Thursday) to pick up the car!!!
Old 5/31/06, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by scrming
Right on!!!!! I can't wait to see what that beast is like. Vids, pics, details!!!!
Old 6/1/06, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by scrming
Shes alive!!! John is at MRT right now...on a test trive. Check her out, she looks goood!!!