V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the offfers I have received in response to my add. The H-pipe has 750 miles on it. The X-pipe was just used for dyno runs. All in all, I can install the H-pipe cheaper now and run a completely stock GT OEM exhaust.

The reason I leave it to you guys to decide is that this exhaust experiment started as a test of the H over X theory.

I will probably upgrade my midpipe next year to a Prochamber when I get TC'd anyway.
Old 1/30/06, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My muffler guy (Randy's Custom Exhaust) tells me that the "X" pipe doesn't sound as good as an "H" pipe.
Old 1/30/06, 11:26 AM

Wow, $200 delivered for the OEM H-pipe? I must have gotten a better deal than I expected, I got the entire GT takeoff from the headers to the mufflers for $150 plus $50 to ship. Told him just to keep the GT headers or throw them away to save on shipping costs (plus they're completely useless to me.)

They get here tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how the install goes. I'm planning on bolting the GT H-pipe with cats right up to the V6 headers. Can anyone confirm this is possible (please, don't just post what you "think")? I got under the car and did some *rough* measurements and it looks as if everything will line up perfectly.

Anyways, go for the stock H. May not sound quite as good as the magnaflow, but it will save you $400. I doubt there will be any significant performance difference between the two. As many GT people will tell you, the stock exhaust is actually very good and they are getting very minimal gains from an exhaust swap unless they drop the cats and get an off-road X-pipe or get a power adder.

Plus, you say you're upgrading later to a prochamper, all the more reason to keep it cheap now.
Old 1/30/06, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go with the catted h... you can pick up some mufflers off ebay or something for alot cheaper than 400$

Let me edit this.. my entire exhaust system was hardly more than 400$...
Old 1/30/06, 12:42 PM

I would go with the catted H. What about the CAT's, are they legal. I hear there is a 5k fine on it if they are not. Didn't you do a ton of resarch on this one in VA.
Old 1/31/06, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

As long as its a Ford part and looks oem, who would be the wiser.

I also think that maybe the V6 and GT use the same cats.
Old 1/31/06, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
As long as its a Ford part and looks oem, who would be the wiser.

I also think that maybe the V6 and GT use the same cats.
Could we get someone to do a cat-scan to resolve whether or not the V6 and the V8 have the same cats?
Old 1/31/06, 02:58 PM

Gearhead,
FedEx just delivered my full GT dual exhaust cat-back take-off system. When I get home from work I will settle all of this, plus when the install is complete I will post a thread outlining the entire install. My plans are to ditch the v6 system completely, hookup the the GT H-pipe w/cats onto the v6 headers hookup the entire GT exhaust from there. I will be dremeling a new hole into my v6 bumper. Wish me luck!
Old 1/31/06, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by WindVeil05DropTop@January 31, 2006, 6:01 PM
Gearhead,
FedEx just delivered my full GT dual exhaust cat-back take-off system. When I get home from work I will settle all of this, plus when the install is complete I will post a thread outlining the entire install. My plans are to ditch the v6 system completely, hookup the the GT H-pipe w/cats onto the v6 headers hookup the entire GT exhaust from there. I will be dremeling a new hole into my v6 bumper. Wish me luck!
Where did you get it from? How much, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 1/31/06, 04:12 PM

Got it from another poster on the Corral forums. Just asked if anyone had a take-off system lying around, got a reply in an hour or so and made a deal. He replaced everything on his, etc. $150 plus $50 for shipping for the entire system.

I am so $%&#ing pissed right now. My apt. complex takes packages, they closed at 6. I get off work at 6 so I left early today. Ran into traffic, got to office at 6:04, already closed. So, my exhaust is sitting a few hundred feet from me locked up until tomorrow morning. :bang:
Old 1/31/06, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Waiting is such sweet sorrow.
Old 1/31/06, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by WindVeil05DropTop@January 31, 2006, 6:01 PM
Gearhead,
That's the spirit!

I don't suppose you have a preinstall dyno, do you? Regardless, if you dyno it afterwards, we should be able to tell SOMETHING!!
Old 2/1/06, 09:23 AM

Got the package this morning, then went straight to work. This day is going to drag!!! H-pipe looks awesome, cats appear identical, it should bolt right up. Install will most likely be tomorrow night as I need to go to the stealership and get some gaskets and brackets. I also plan on spraying the muffs black and leaving the tips chrome. The stock GT muffs look like crap from behind, the metal is kinda rough and dingey looking. Plus this will accent the chrome a little better.
Old 2/1/06, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by WindVeil05DropTop@February 1, 2006, 11:26 AM
Got the package this morning, then went straight to work. This day is going to drag!!! H-pipe looks awesome, cats appear identical, it should bolt right up. Install will most likely be tomorrow night as I need to go to the stealership and get some gaskets and brackets. I also plan on spraying the muffs black and leaving the tips chrome. The stock GT muffs look like crap from behind, the metal is kinda rough and dingey looking. Plus this will accent the chrome a little better.

Cool. Just an FYI, Ford sells chrome tips for the stock GT muffs. Looks way better IMO. You can order them through any ford dealership.
Old 2/2/06, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Bump.

Droptop was about to **** his pants, I thought we would have a update.
Old 2/2/06, 08:13 AM

Well, the holes for the O2 sensors are different on the H-pipe than the Y-pipe. The y-pipe has 2 on each side, the h-pipe has one on the left, two on the right. The other O2 sensor on the left on a GT is in the manifold. So, I need to get another hole drilled onto the H-pipe on the left hand side to install the other O2 sensor.

I might just have a muffler shop do the install now because I can't weld a receiver into place on the h-pipe for the O2 sensor. Plus, I still need to figure out how to make two more muffler hangers (Ford wants $70!!!).

So, this will probably be pushed back until Saturday and I'll have them do the install.
Old 2/2/06, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Hate to say it, but the Ford hangers are the only way to go. No one has ever posted that a muffler shop was able to fab hangers that made the mufflers hang right.

Im as thrifty as they come, but I sucked it up and paid the $70.
Old 2/2/06, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

I have a true duahl exhaust system...there is no h or x involved and im wondering if i'm losing low end torque and power because of this?
Old 2/2/06, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acstone7 @ February 2, 2006, 12:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have a true duahl exhaust system...there is no h or x involved and im wondering if i'm losing low end torque and power because of this?
[/b][/quote]

Having witnessed another 05 V6 auto on the dyno last weekend--I'm willing to say NO. He made about 12 more HP and TQ then me...his was true dual, mine has X-pipe. there are several other variables, but the point is---there was no indication of performance suffering.

So...I don't think a true dual is hurting the performance of our cars (he pulled like 196 or 197 HP).

Not an EXACT comparision, but that's what the observations suggests to me!
Old 2/2/06, 11:27 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acstone7 @ February 2, 2006, 11:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

guess we will find out tomorrow haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Exhaust Options