V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Engine cleaning suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/07, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cleaning suggestions

I'm going to enter a couple shows this summer--I never cleaned an engine before( I have changed my share of diapers, but I don't think this is quite the same)--any suggestions to get the layer of road dust out from under the hood? I don't think the power washer would be a good idea....it was good for diaper changing, though.....
Old 3/30/07, 04:07 PM
GT Member

I've had my engine steam cleaned/power washed at the car wash. came out looking new but i was nervous while they did it. you could always use some simple green but i've never used it.
Old 3/30/07, 07:44 PM
GT Member

I use a cleaner called "Greased Lightning" and a garden hose. No high pressure water, engines don't like it much..
Old 3/31/07, 02:45 AM
Bullitt Member

there should be no problems with the power washer unless your air filter is exposed
(stock cars should be okay)
Old 3/31/07, 03:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steelerfan43
I'm going to enter a couple shows this summer--I never cleaned an engine before( I have changed my share of diapers, but I don't think this is quite the same)--any suggestions to get the layer of road dust out from under the hood? I don't think the power washer would be a good idea....it was good for diaper changing, though.....
I use a power washer all the time! Just use with common sense! If you have a CAI put a plastic bag over the filter! I have bag with a draw string works well at keeping the filter dry! Be Careful when using cleaners like Simple Green and etc.. full strength anyway! they can discolor certain types of black or dark vinyl! I found out the hard way on a car a few years ago!....PS: I seen Cheap Trick live in 1979 in Chicago! out doors with 80.000 other drunken teens..
Old 3/31/07, 10:43 PM
GT Member

simple green

I haven't used anything but soap and water on this car, just watch the electronics ( coil pack ) I don't recommend using greased lightning, use simple green slightly diluted! I used to use greased lightning on my 64 nova I started to notice the paint starting to fade and discolor but its great for tires just don't get it on any rims that are clear coated, The simple green didn't fade or discolor. you should be able to use just mild
soap and water!
Old 4/1/07, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

I use Tire Foam (any brand is suffice).

I put one layer over it, then wipe it down with a towel. This helps remove all the dirt. Then, I put another layer on and wipe it down again to give a nice shine.

I've never had any problems doing this. Obviously, like stated before, you want to avoid the air filter, but it's easily controllable with the spray can. Also, it does cause some overspray on the front of the car, so I recommend cleaning the engine before cleaning the rest of the car.

But, see the results for yourself:
Attached Thumbnails Engine cleaning suggestions-engine.jpg   Engine cleaning suggestions-strut-bar-001.jpg  
Old 4/1/07, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Starter, Alternator, Intake, Coils/Wires, Battery - Five things to cover before washing your engine. Also, the hood liner doesn't like water either. Use either diluted Simple Green, some simple dilution of Dawn dish soap, or a product I like called "Steam" which comes in a Black and Silver can from AutoZone. You could also use engine Gunk on the rough patches, but as others have stated, you may pull some plasticizers out of the vinyl and plastics and give yourself that chalky look with harsh cleaners. You can always use Mothers - Back to Black to get the color back in black platics parts, but read the directions on the bottle before use.

Good luck,

Shaun
Old 4/3/07, 11:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I have heard even the softest engine cleaners will hard rubber plugs and gaskets, and pressure washer do the same, and force water where it doesnt belong. I would much rather have an engine that runs well, than an engine that looks clean!