V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/05, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

New guy.
Put a flowmaster on the 6 and emissions light has been there since.
Only had it for 10 days and has been to the dealer 3 times.
Dealer is 40 miles away, but i can honestly say the drive is Heaven.
Gotta love the looks you get when you enter the garage.
Just be prepared when you make a 6 sound a little meaner, to have a full tank for the drive into the Dealer....I'll keep you posted with what they find.
Old 1/7/05, 11:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, your closest dealer is 40 miles? Where do you live?
Old 1/8/05, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was going to post some info about after market exhaust systems on earlier threads but thought better of it; now that you brought up the subject of compatibility issues, well now is probably the time to do it.

you really need to do some homework and research before you change ANYTHING on a car...even the muffler. with the advanced state of analysis of the engine's different systems for emmissions and top effeciency, the computers are locked in to a very narrow set of parameters...meaning, don't mess with them. alot of cars can set of codes when the exhast system is altered...some cars will have severe driveability issues with changes made to the exhaust system.

i am not saying to not make changes, but be careful, check it out and be prepared for some headaches with compatibility issues. the first place to look for any aftermarket parts would be the dealer's parts counter...usually, the manfr will have a catalog of parts that are offered that have been validated on the vehicle, so that you, the consumer, aren't the test rat.

one last point and i know this will set some people off, but it's the truth: when you alter the exhast system, even just a muffler in some cases, you will make LESS power in certain parts of the power band. in most cases, the after market stuff will make more power but in a very narrow power band...for around town driving you will see a loss of power...generally the after market stuff moves the power up in the rpm band...so be aware of the changes that will happen. the only sure way to tell what kind of changes will occur with a particular component is to see a power graph for that part tested and validated on that car....most after market companies do not and will not spend the resources to have that kind of testing done...they would rather have you the consumer be the test mule...so...buyer beware...jackg 90seville 96k