V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Dyno Results: Zex - 278 RWHP V6

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/06, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, get ready for a looooong post!

Well some of you may have known that my car has been in the shop for 5 days for some work. What a long 5 days it was to be with out my baby. First the bad news, I am missing some dyno sheets that are sitting back in the shop at Excessive. But the good news is I have the dyno sheets that count. I will go back to Excessive later this week, print them and then scan them.

Now, let’s start with the X pipe, I know all of you saw my post, but I will include it here so it is all inclusive. Before this round of mods, I had a Magnaflow dual kit with Y pipe. Details as follows:

X Pipe Gains

• 193.9 RWHP SAE (before)
• 195.8 RWHP SAE (after)

Sound: She is somewhat deeper, and I can hear more of a throaty sound at higher rpms. But she does thin out at really high rpms. To get really deep at all RPM’s, it looks like MSP’s write up was accurate regarding the prochamber. And the MRT mufflers might help as well.

So pretty much 2 RWHP gain on NA. Following this, I decided to change the whole approach of my car. Now all of you are familiar with Scrming’s kick butt car, and mine is somewhat similar. 4.10s, Zex, Auto, etc. Well, I needed Excessive to fix the gear whine in my car. They said they couldn’t do it because the first shop that installed them wrong and now that they are broken in, they will whine forever. Just great. So after hearing that darn whine over and over again, I told Excessive to put in new gears. But this time, I went back to my original plan. After seeing other unnamed individuals video’s of bad tire spin at the track, I decided to take it down a notch and put in FRPP 3.73’s. Test drove the car, no more gear whine and still launches good on my auto.

Tunable Induction Tune

• 195.8 RWHP SAE (before)
• 197.5 RWHP SAE (after)

So they loaded up John DeMolet’s tune and netted another 1.7 RWHP and 3.3 RWTQ SAE. Not bad, every bit counts. John’s tune designed for the NKG spark plugs I have, so his runs at 13.4 AF, while the Excessive tune I had runs at 12.7 AF.

Now, for the fun part (and I got the dynos for this one coming!). Now it’s time for the 100HP shot of N20. Well, right before we do the N20, I had a PHP Alternator Pulley order and sent to Excessive to give me that tiny little 4HP edge Scrming posted about awhile ago. So Chris put that in, and spent an entire day tuning the car for Nitrous, and making sure the AF levels were good, timing good, checked my spark plugs, test drove it, etc. So here is the configuration I have with the N20:

Zex 100 HP Shot

• FRPP 3.73 Gears
• PHP Alternator Pulley
• Zex 100HP Shot
• Excessive Tune
• <span style="color:Purple"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">278.2 RWHP SAE</span></span> (for you STD lovers out there – 285.9)
• <span style="color:Purple"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">362.1 RWTQ SAE</span></span> (for you STD lovers out there – 373.2)

When Chris and Larry came back from the test run, they were grinning ear to ear. Chris said it will smoke a stock GT any day of the week. I didn’t solicit this response from him, as I got my sights on some import tuners. But he said it without prompting and was quite proud of it. There were two cobra owners in the shop today and hearing it thought it was an 8 and Larry was like, no that’s a 6, one of the few we work on. Then he rattled off the numbers and their eyes went wide. It was cool. In fact they were great mustang owners, giving me tips on lower control arms, telling me not to go with over aggressive lowering springs as it will hurt my track times. And they gave me a lot of good information about the local tracks.

For those of you that live in the DC/VA/MD area, the cobra guys suggested SumerDuck dragway, they said mostly stangs hang out there and they are all good people. http://www.sumerduckdragway.com/

That’s about it; I will be posting some dyno sheets tonight once I get to the office. Now, there is only one problem, I think Excessive forgot to do a before/after tune on my PHP Pulley, but I will call them, it might be one of the sheets that was left behind. But I will definitely get my Zex sheet up, I actually made them print it out in SAE before I left.

So all in all it was a long 5 days to wait, but I am extremely happy.

PS: I can’t resist….John (Scrming); you may want to tell Lidio that he has to beat 278. LOL. I think that MRT may just do the trick! The arms race continues!!!!!

EDIT: Here is the dyno sheet for the Zex:

Old 2/7/06, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got to post it here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] awesome. I hope you get that a/f ratio confirmed ok, so u can hit the track up this weekend
Old 2/7/06, 09:48 PM
GT Member

man that NOS looks more and more inticing! what to do what to do [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] ? I've got it a turbo and NOS! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 10:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Very impressive. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
I would like to know what effects the X-pipe did to your overall TQ however, especially peak.
Old 2/7/06, 10:12 PM
Cobra R Member

If you notice, how your HP starts droppin at an early RPM, thats because it is running really rich i think? If you look at scrmings dyno, its pretty much climbing until 5300rpm. I wish i knew more bout custom tuning cars, so i could throw some suggestions your way, just something doesnt tickle me right on that dyno sheet.
Old 2/7/06, 10:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 8, 2006, 12:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If you notice, how your HP starts droppin at an early RPM, thats because it is running really rich i think? If you look at scrmings dyno, its pretty much climbing until 5300rpm. I wish i knew more bout custom tuning cars, so i could throw some suggestions your way, just something doesnt tickle me right on that dyno sheet.
[/b][/quote]

I know it, I'm going to give Excessive a call tomorrow and ask them about it. And post this question elsewhere, I want to have it sorted out before the track opens up in a month.
Old 2/7/06, 10:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 8, 2006, 12:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know it, I'm going to give Excessive a call tomorrow and ask them about it. And post this question elsewhere, I want to have it sorted out before the track opens up in a month.
[/b][/quote]

Chris did spend all day on the tune, he also said he checked the plugs and ensured no premature detonation was happening. Took it on the street as well to test it. He said the NKG's were good for the Zex.

I'm really not sure, which is why I ask the members here. I will call tomorrow and get the details.
Old 2/7/06, 10:39 PM
V6 Member

Lookin good rygen....bet you're loving the zex. Hope everything gets cleared out with the tune.
Old 2/8/06, 02:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 8, 2006, 1:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Chris did spend all day on the tune, he also said he checked the plugs and ensured no premature detonation was happening. Took it on the street as well to test it. He said the NKG's were good for the Zex.

I'm really not sure, which is why I ask the members here. I will call tomorrow and get the details.
[/b][/quote]

Which NKGs did you get?
Old 2/8/06, 06:08 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 8, 2006, 4:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Which NKGs did you get?
[/b][/quote]

Iridiums.
Old 2/8/06, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 8, 2006, 12:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Nice peaks! Man, that's some HP and TQ.

I'm having trouble reading the A/F numbers on the graph. How lean is it running at the start of the run? To me, it looks like it's running lean, then swinging rich. But, perhaps there is a good reason for this? Worth asking them about...

Looking forward to seeing your timeslips, Rygen!
Old 2/8/06, 06:24 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hambone @ February 8, 2006, 8:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nice peaks! Man, that's some HP and TQ.

I'm having trouble reading the A/F numbers on the graph. How lean is it running at the start of the run? To me, it looks like it's running lean, then swinging rich. But, perhaps there is a good reason for this? Worth asking them about...

Looking forward to seeing your timeslips, Rygen!
[/b][/quote]

Yea, I hate this print out!!!! On one sheet, I thought I was running at 14 and Chris said that run was at 12.8. He has the benefit of looking it up on the computer. The print out is so simple its annoying. I will be calling them today asking about it.
Old 2/8/06, 06:49 AM
MSP
Banned

You know how I feel about this already.. But I felt I needed to be here on the record to show my support as well.. LOL!! Still gives me chills thinking of that 362RWTQ!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Man, What I would give to see a video of you and Scrming going to the staging lanes opposite each other!! WOW!! What a race that would be! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 06:56 AM
GT Member

Great numbers Rygen. I'm goign to have to get the turbo TT + gears, then save my pennies for the shortblock from SuperSix with 8.0 compression, then switch to 12 PSI and then I will have nitrous. MUAHAHAHA. Granted this will take a while. I don't know if I want duals, i want to keep the v6 look. But that's awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your numbers are slightly higher than Scrming?
Old 2/8/06, 07:20 AM
GT Member

I second that notion --- Screamin and Rygen at the track ... NOS 4 NOS .... Maybe we can call the "pinks" guys and make a whole show out of the deal LOLOLOL

Hats off to you Rygen for the NOS effect. I'm sure it was hard having the pony away for so long , but worth it. I don;t think I could have gotten the NOS - just way to tempting to open it up on the streets [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/16.gif[/img]

Solid numbers!!
Old 2/8/06, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

I found an old sheet that shows my A/F with the Zex... I'll post it later tonight...
Old 2/8/06, 08:09 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 8, 2006, 9:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I found an old sheet that shows my A/F with the Zex... I'll post it later tonight...
[/b][/quote]

Please do, I've been studying your sheets all night. Our tunes are clearly different and I want to understand why. Our cars have a different configuration as well and want to keep light of that. But I think with your posting yours, and by talking with Excessive (and I will probably give Lido a call) we will have a better understanding of why our sheets are significantly different.

I do however think my X pipe may be giving me an advantage when I spray. Maybe not on the street, but when I turn on the juice, there is enough AF for the duals w/x pipe to actually give me a gain. I have spoken to others on other forums on this and they agree. When I posted the 2HP gain I got multiple responses that were of the mindset "what about when you run the n20?" or "you may not see the gains of an x pipe till you are running a blower".

Just food for thought. Colaboration...its why we are here. Thanks everyone! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 08:40 AM

Here is a few pics from this project for you guys (additional pics are on my web site):

I think Larry did a great job running the lines through the car. I pulled up the carpet so you can see them, but everything is clean.

Enjoy!
Old 2/8/06, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Styxs, get the turbo then spray the wet shot into your intercooler, I've heard that's how people get both the juice and the boost [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 11:05 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gash05 @ February 8, 2006, 12:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Styxs, get the turbo then spray the wet shot into your intercooler, I've heard that's how people get both the juice and the boost [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

haha yeah that would be fun, now if i could only come up with 8 grand really fast. hmmm. I think i will just get the turbo and then we will see....maybe a 300 shot of NX after that who knows? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dyno Results: Zex - 278 RWHP V6