V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

CHE Torque limiter noise

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/07, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHE Torque limiter noise

My CHE K-Brace torque limiters (for others that have them) were rattling at low RPM's and so I re-set them to neutral position the other day...same problem. Others I have noticed have similar complaints that the spherical bushings make a lot of noise. So I called CHE and asked Chuck if they make a poly bushing for the top of the limiters rod ends he said they thought about it but thought the market was more for racing applications and less for street so then Chuck suggested that I "Pre-load" the limiters a little to add some bind to them. He also said there is potential for damage or wear to occur if they are left in a neutral position and bang back and forth on the aluminum rod end spherical bushing. They are not teflon coated.

The formula he suggested was to pull "down" on the drivers side and lift "up" on the pass side about 3/4 - 1 full turn each then torque them down. This has solved the noise issues. Also noticed smoother low rpm take off's FWIW.

I asked about excessive bushing deflection and wear, he said the bushings can handle that no problem.

Hope this info helps some.
Old 8/22/07, 11:25 AM

This has been discussed on another mustang forum I frequent. This was a huge issue, and I heard that preloading the limiter fixes the issue. Someone even went so far as to get new rod ends lined with Teflon or something...but that costs money and pre loading is free. I installed the limiters and I preloaded in the wrong direction...and **** they make a lot of noise. But I will pull down instead of push up and I'm sure that will fix it.

BTW, anyone with a 5 speed needs to get these...they are amazing. No more hard shifting in WOT.
Old 8/22/07, 01:40 PM

let me know how it turns out. Chuck at CHE is working on possibly putting out a Poly rod end for us noise haters...metric thread though so it wont be free....
Old 8/23/07, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Billybix76
let me know how it turns out. Chuck at CHE is working on possibly putting out a Poly rod end for us noise haters...metric thread though so it wont be free....
Sounds interesting...is that all the info you have on them?
Old 8/24/07, 11:25 AM

Yep, he didnt sound like it was a high priority though. maybe call him in afew weeks to see...