V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

cai question

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/07, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cai question

I if I get a cold air intake system that doesn't enlarge the mass air flow sensor tube will I still have to re flash the computer of the car? thanks.
Old 2/15/07, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only CAI that does not require a retune for our cars is the K&N and AFE. Both have good gains, but I would save up and get a CAI/Tuner combo. You will get more ear to ear grinning satisfaction with those kits.
Old 2/15/07, 08:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
The only CAI that does not require a retune for our cars is the K&N and AFE. Both have good gains, but I would save up and get a CAI/Tuner combo. You will get more ear to ear grinning satisfaction with those kits.
The K&N doesn't require a tune to prevent throwing a code.
It should have one to make it run the best.
Any CAI needs a tune for best performance.
Old 2/16/07, 09:19 PM

ok, thanks for the help. maybe I won't do the cai system then? maybe I will just forget about a cai.
Old 2/16/07, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor

I would save up and get a CAI/Tuner package. If you go an SCT custom tuner such as myself, Bamachips, or Brenspeed you can put together a package where we will sell you the cold air intake, as well as a tuner that is PRELOADED with 3 different tunes of your choice. You can mix and match with different octane ratings for fuel, and different kinds of presets like torque, or all out race tunes.

They're reasonable for the amount of difference that you feel in your car.

Here are some prices. Let me know if you have any more questions!

The C&L CAI with XCal2 is $615.99 shipped to the door.
The JLT CAI with XCal2 is $539.99 shipped to the door.

They are both very easy bolt on modifications with regular hand tools. The flash requires no special tools, and is easy following the on screen instructions (as well as the instruction manual provided).

THANKS! GOOD LUCK!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/16/07, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

No way dude, CAI is totally worth it. Not to mention the tune... heck, the tune alone is worth it! No throttle lag... better gas... better performance...
Old 2/16/07, 09:55 PM
Former Vendor

Edit: Double Post
Old 2/16/07, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep Tune and CAI are totally worth it! Best $525 I ever spent, I got the tunable inductions and XCAL. It was totally awesome.
Old 2/18/07, 12:08 PM

ok I've made a decision i'm going to buy the s&b cold air intake and install it and then in a couple months or weeks I will purchase the predator tuner and install it then I might get either a throttle body spacer or a underdrive pulley (I don;t know which yet) so I will do things in stages buying one thing at a time and then I will be able to afford it better.
Old 2/18/07, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by iceman320
ok I've made a decision i'm going to buy the s&b cold air intake and install it and then in a couple months or weeks I will purchase the predator tuner and install it then I might get either a throttle body spacer or a underdrive pulley (I don;t know which yet) so I will do things in stages buying one thing at a time and then I will be able to afford it better.
Interesting.
Most of the people here like the C&L or JLT intakes with an SCT xcal tune and no TBS.
Old 2/18/07, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI w/tuner is a must
Old 2/18/07, 08:27 PM
Former Vendor

You won't be as happy with the S&B with TBS and no tune, take our word for it.

The C&L and JLT setups with an XCal2 is definetly a must, as mentioned above. Just search through the threads in the V6 forum, and all you will see is raving reviews about JLT and C&L intakes and SCT XCal2 tunes.

I left the pricing in my messages above if you're interested!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/19/07, 08:08 AM

tillmanspeed, did you not read my entire post, i'm going to buy the S&b cai and install it then after that i will buy the predator tuner and refalsh the computer.
Old 2/19/07, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

That's fine. If you like that setup, go with it.

I just reccommend tuning at the same time as purchasing an intake, because you will not benefit from the S&B cold air intake without tuning to adjust the MAF transfer function. It will lean the car out quite a bit without a tune. That's why you'll notice that people buy these pieces as a combination.

If you like the design of the S&B, by all means go with what you like! I was just mentioning, like the others above, that the JLT and C&L are a much nicer design. They will get more horsepower, and are priced very close to the S&B air intake. The majority of the people with your exact vehicle run one of the two intakes I mentioned, because they're proven and quite affordable. They go with the SCT XCal2 tuners, because they're supported by a ton of tuners, and you can get help and custom tunes quite easily.

It's your car, we're just offering some advice! Good luck with whatever you choose!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/19/07, 11:16 AM
V6 Member

Your car won't run with the stock tune and a c&L cai, you will have LOTS of issues if you don't insall the tune and intake at the same time. I tried it, Poor idling stalling rought running, etc.
Old 2/19/07, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

I also tried the S&B intake, and in comparison the C&L makes my car faster. Alternative auto tunes make my car quicker over Brennspeed tunes and superchips max microtuner.
Old 2/19/07, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by boss 244
Your car won't run with the stock tune and a c&L cai, you will have LOTS of issues if you don't insall the tune and intake at the same time. I tried it, Poor idling stalling rought running, etc.
Exactly,

That's why I was reccomending the packages above that use C&L and JLT intakes. If he buy's a S&B CAI and bolts it on, he will have problems with idle and AFR and stalling until the car finally goes into Failsafe mode. But if he wants to try it out, by all means! Luckily he can always purchase the tune.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/19/07, 05:30 PM

So then why does s&b say that their intake system adds 14Hp with out any computer tuning then? because they say that their cold air intake is the only intake that adds 14 Hp without any tuning. why would they say that if they hadn't tested it to see if it's true? and that the car runs good? look like to me thaey would have to test the product to make sure that it works before they start selling them. right.
Old 2/19/07, 05:59 PM
Former Vendor

C&L is the only company I know of who has DYNOTUNED a "no-tune" air intake. There intake with the "no-tune" insert should be available this week sometime. It's brand new. However, I'm not positive if the insert is going to interchange with the V6 intake.

S&B, K&N, Green Filter, True Flow, and all of your "big name" air intake companies make great filers, and quality components. However, when they release so many vehicles per year, it's hard to take the time to do the proper R&D, dynotuning, and track research.

Companies like C&L and JLT that are in the mustang "niche" have thousands of people testing them from the street to the track.

The JLT/Tune and C&L/Tune setups have proven the best results, and HP gains per dollar. This is why they're the most popular set ups. These companies are always around the Mustang community, post on these message boards, and know the scene well. They know what works and doesn't. S&B filters are actually used on C&L and JLT intakes as well.

I'm not saying S&B doesn't make a good product. But they make an air intake from everything from a Dodge diesel to a Mini Cooper to a Mustang to a Chrysler 300C. When you have this amount of application support, it's hard to give dyno sheets for everything. Most of the numbers listed are "educated guesses".

You can ask the same question on Modular Fords Forums, or Mustang Forums, or SVT Performance, or any of the popular message boards around. They're all going to reccomend the JLT and C&L setup + tune.

If you want to try the S&B kit, then go for it by all means! You may be happy with the results! Just from the consensus, and the 100+ intake/tune setups that we've sold and installed, the JLT and C&L are going to be your best choice.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 2/19/07, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by iceman320
So then why does s&b say that their intake system adds 14Hp with out any computer tuning then? because they say that their cold air intake is the only intake that adds 14 Hp without any tuning. why would they say that if they hadn't tested it to see if it's true? and that the car runs good? look like to me thaey would have to test the product to make sure that it works before they start selling them. right.
My car can gain 15HP on the dyno just by running on a cold, cold day with no heat in the garage.
It depends on how scientific the test is.

Quick Reply: cai question