that link is to the v6 one. this is the new "race" one click
Old 11/12/05, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh shoot i misread it. sorry.
Old 11/12/05, 10:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sign me up!! This will be the one i'm getting in the spring. Hopefully Bamachips will have a tuen for it by then.
Old 11/12/05, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just email Doug and Bamachips, asking if he had tunes.
Old 11/12/05, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Doug told me a while ago he was going to be working on preproduction C&L models, so he should, yes
Old 11/12/05, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks awesome. I love the wethestripping they put on there to seal it off the engine.
Looks nice and fat, I guess this is it for me. This intake seems like it is calling my name. I am going to order the SCT2 from Doug, so it's great to know that he works closely with C&L.
Old 11/12/05, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK Ive had a long discussion with Fazm outside the forums on the C&L intake and would just like to share 'our' thoughts with everyone else.

I really like the look of the C&L, but dont like the idea that its alumanized and not plastic. I think this is going to be detrimental during summer and hot hot periods.

They claim a MAX of 15 hp with a tune. That is WITH the spike from the torque converter. Before the spike where its level, its much less of a gain. It appears to be 9, maybe 10 hp gain. They also have bumpted the timing 7 degrees using an 87 octane "mixture." It should only be raised 4-5 at most. 7 is a little extreme. Rasing the timing is going to produce more power, but it doesnt seem safe to me on 87 octane. Doesnt even seem to give an adequate base for a dyno pull.

The price on the unit is $300 making it the most expensive CAI on the market, I believe, and showing only results the same as every other on the market. K&N promises 7.7 on their kit, and its $100 cheaper, looks OEM, and offers a plastic version. After much debate and disappointment I think its the one Im going with in the future. I cant justify an extra $100 for fudged numbers an 2hp gain on the C&L. I had high expectations for it but now am somewhat disappointed.

I still wish JLT would make a showing, but I dont know how much longer I can hold out for a CAI. Already been waiting a year for this disappointment, so Im not in the mood really to keep waiting for a possible other.

If Ive gotten something wrong in my assment of the C&L please correct me. Im only human

Just my 2cents.
Old 11/12/05, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Zodiac... these are good discussions to have... that's what the boards are for! I'll definetly take these thoughts into consideration when choosing an intake. I've had my car since January... I can wait a bit longer for the right intake choice. I'm starting to lean more towards the Tunable Induction or Airaid. But, there's still a part of me drawn to the shiny (er...or, in this care, aluminum).

I thought a lot about the K&N. I plunked a K&N on my wife's Vibe and it's been great. But, since the install involves cutting a stock piece, I ruled it out. Other manufacturer's didn't seem to have to make that sacrifice to install their intakes. Though, I very well could be wrong, since I haven't read all their instruction sheets!

Anyways... the great debate rages on... which CAI...

I'm a little broke right now... can I borrow that 2 cents?
Old 11/12/05, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I talked with Fazm specifically about the piece you have to cut since it was a concern of mine as well. He says its a small tube, minor.. nothing major. He said you could easily use electrical tape to piece it back together in case you ever want to return it stock, so I dont think its something to worry about in choosing a CAI.

The main reason I like the K&N is reliability. They're a name I trust with time tested and proven results. When they say 7.7rwhp, I believe it 100% -not like the C&L where I have room for doubts and suspicions. Same with other companies. Even reading between different website, they all seem to claim varying degress of results with all other CAIs.

What makes you lean towards the Tunable Induction or Airaid?

Looks are only somewhat important to me. "Dress up" is nice and all, great when convienent, but I believe performance to be the #1 issue when choosing an intake. Its under the hood most of the time, so no one ever has to see it if you dont want them to. My policy with this car is definitely "go before show."
Old 11/12/05, 11:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I agree with many things here. Myself, I am all for a plastic intake hose since I do believe of the cooler temps it'll run. What I love about the C&L though is that rubber weatherstripping they use to seal the actual filter cone away from the engine. I was thinking of using a wrap around the aluminum and check with the SCT2 if temps would change.
About the tune, I know Doug is working on one, and I can't wait to see his results as I trust him in his abilites.
K&N seems like a pretty strong intake, do we know what gains it will give with a tune. Perhaps well in the mid teens.
ATM I have not given up on the C&L, still looking forward to a bit more solid info. Hopefully from Doug soon.
Old 11/13/05, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

With 93 octane and the appropiate degrees of timing, bumped around 29-30, I wouldnt be surprised to see around 17-20 rwhp out of the K&N. And I really dont think thats being conservative at all. Those are the kind of numbers I can live with.. and be happy.
Old 11/13/05, 12:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Wow its funny to see everything i said on here lol.

To clarify on the spike, both pulls have the spike, but the 15hp gain is where the C&L spike is earlier then the stock spike, causing a false gain.

ManEHawke i have the K&N on my car, and it has the weather stripping as well, and its actually 1 piece that goes across the top, the C&L looks like its 2 pieces that seal it. AS far as any dyno gains, i cant vouch for it, but i did take my car to the track 2 weeks ago preintake with just a tune and got a 14.91. Went again last night and with the same temps, and bout 2 hours earlier in the day (so maybe warmer, maybe colder) I ran a 14.73 with the K&N without a specific tune for it. Corrected to sealevel im at the 14.5 range with just an intake and tune.

Im not sayin the K&N is better then the C&L, im just saying what i know from experience with them, and just the fishy dyno/timing on the C&L. Most likely the 2 intakes are going to be equals (especially if C&L comes out with a plastic one for the v6), but the extra $100 could be put towards something else.
Old 11/13/05, 02:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 12, 2005, 7:39 PM
What makes you lean towards the Tunable Induction or Airaid?
They both have non metal intake tubes. Airaid's is polyethylene and looks very similar to K&N's, including what looks like weatherstripping around the heat shield. Tunable Induction's is carbon fiber, I believe. Both shouldn't heat up like C&L's or AEM's.
Old 11/13/05, 02:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Those are awesome times with just that. I am impressed, a solid 1/2 second off from stock!

I didn't really take a good look at the C&L dyno till right now. The gains are indeed about 10hp peak without considering any of the spikes. (K&N is close to 8 w/o a tune last I recall, and C&L 10 w/ tune :shock: )At 300 bucks I agree that it seems a bit weak. For 200 it would be a worthy competitor.
To say the truth I'm glad to have had this discussion, I will ask though where could the K&N be had for about 200 bucks. The rest of the 100 bucks could be saved for the SCT2.
Old 11/13/05, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know there're always on ebay for about 230 shipped... I swear ive seen one right around 200 with free shipping before.. Ill see if I can find it.
Old 11/13/05, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, glad I'm not the only one unimpressed by the "research" and tuning done with the C&L. I'll give them credit for being honest, but the way they messed around with gas/octane topping off, etc. isn't too impressive. I mean, this is the basic research for their brand new product?? And the gains seemed small to me. And they recommend the Predator based on these results? hehe...

I swear a tune alone gives more than that [insert scrming pimp of Lido here ]

Really, I can't wait to see what some of the good tuners will do with this CAI and a good Xcal2 tune! I expect they'll get more out of it than C&L did....if NOT...woah!
Old 11/13/05, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hambone... you're right... the gains do seem small. I'm waiting to see what SCT tuners pull out of this intake.
Old 11/13/05, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know a few people who asked so here's the results: I talked with Doug from Bamachips today and he will be producing a tune for the C&L intake. He has peronal relations with the company and is expecting a unit as soon as humanly possible. They are still pushing him off, telling him they have been sent into production but it seems nothing has been produced yet. As soon as he gets ahold of a unit he's going to call me, and we'll get my car and that unit up on the dyno. I have a manual car and he has the tuning knowledge so there will be no doubts left as to what the C&L unit can do.
Old 11/13/05, 03:50 PM
Cobra R Member

There use to be one on ebay for $208.95 with free shipping, now they are about $225 with shippin is the cheapest ive seen.

Im hoping to get exhaust and a custom 93 dyno tune and hit some 14.5 and 14.4s at the track. Corrected to sealevel thats gettin down to the 14.30's

Quick Reply: C&L intake is now out... really!