V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Buying an Xcal2

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, I'm looking at buying an xcal2 and have a dumb question. The dealer is asking for a "3 digit calibration code" which, for the life of me, I can't find. Any help on that one?
Old 8/1/05, 05:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Gizzmo0411@August 1, 2005, 6:23 PM
Hey all, I'm looking at buying an xcal2 and have a dumb question. The dealer is asking for a "3 digit calibration code" which, for the life of me, I can't find. Any help on that one?
Mine was under the hood, on the passenger side. I recommend BamaChips.com. He sells his to forum members for $365.
Old 8/1/05, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@August 1, 2005, 5:09 PM
Mine was under the hood, on the passenger side. I recommend BamaChips.com. He sells his to forum members for $365.

Hmmm...checked there...can't find it. Thanks for the suggestion though! Any other places?
Old 8/1/05, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's an example from an older Mustang:
http://www.bamachips.com/faq/images/mustang.jpg
I just went outside and looked again. Mine is under the hood, right behind the washer fluid fill, right next to the fuse box. There is a metal module, triangular shaped, with several plugs in the front. The 4 digit code should be there. Or on one of the door jambs. Hope this helps!
Old 8/1/05, 08:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Jimp@August 1, 2005, 9:13 PM
Here's an example from an older Mustang:
http://www.bamachips.com/faq/images/mustang.jpg
I just went outside and looked again. Mine is under the hood, right behind the washer fluid fill, right next to the fuse box. There is a metal module, triangular shaped, with several plugs in the front. The 4 digit code should be there. Or on one of the door jambs. Hope this helps!

Update: Bamachips, sells them for $385 now... He just e-mailed me.
Old 8/2/05, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by xxkazp3rxx@August 1, 2005, 8:50 PM
Update: Bamachips, sells them for $385 now... He just e-mailed me.

Hey guys,

That's right I have had to increase my pricing but it wasnt by my choice but rather SCT raised their pricing to me. One major difference though is that now I can enable the user options on the X-2's where as in the beginning of June I couldn't so you'll be able to use your handheld tuner to make any small changes you prefer too.

That is still my new TMS member discounted price though, my normal pricing is $399.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/2/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Hey doug, does the use of nitrous require a tune? I was thinkin bout gettin a nitrous kit (since i learned the zex GT kit works on the v6 also) and was curious if it needed tunes, or if it would just 'help'?
Old 8/3/05, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Fazm@August 2, 2005, 7:25 PM
Hey doug, does the use of nitrous require a tune? I was thinkin bout gettin a nitrous kit (since i learned the zex GT kit works on the v6 also) and was curious if it needed tunes, or if it would just 'help'?

Using an 87 or 89 tune you'll be ok but don't use a 91/93 program with it unless I specifically adjust the tune for nitrous with that octane fuel.

Just let me know what kinda kit and size shot and I'll be happy to email you a new tune for it.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/3/05, 06:45 PM
GT Member

If you still cant find it......PM me with your e mail address and I'll send you a pic of my car and the labels location. Too big to post it, and if I lose resolution you wont see it.
Old 8/13/05, 06:18 PM

I'm thinking about an XCal2, too, so have been watching the search for the calibration code. Here are a couple of pictures taken from driver side of car looking across engine compartment. Code is on label on unit behind reservoir right where Jimp suggested. Second picture is close up of white label with 4 digit code.
ATN
Old 8/14/05, 12:29 AM

Hey Doug,

Without sounding completely clueless..........how "User Friendly" is the XCal2. I do some automotive things but never used one of these.

Thanks

Dave
Old 8/14/05, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by dfigz@August 14, 2005, 12:32 AM
Hey Doug,

Without sounding completely clueless..........how "User Friendly" is the XCal2. I do some automotive things but never used one of these.
Thanks

Dave

It's very simple, if you can read the screen and follow instructions then you'll have no problems. It also comes with printed instructions just in case. Finally, if you like when you receive it you can call me and I'll be glad to walk you through installing it, once you do it you'll be a pro at it.

As for changing the tuning, It comes with the best settings for your car already so there's no need in making any changes. So you do have the ability but it isn't necessary.

thanks, Doug.
Old 8/14/05, 10:22 AM

Ordered mine!!

What kind of shipping do you use Doug? If it shipped on Wednesday (the 11th) when can I expect it?
Old 8/14/05, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The 11th was thursday...

You should have it in hand in 2-3 business days so I would say probably Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. Since your in Texas probably more so Monday or tuesday.

I have your tracking number if you didn't get the email from USPS.com, just let me know if you need me to resend it.

Thanks, Doug
Old 8/15/05, 06:52 AM

thanks doug

now just waiting for the stang.......looks like next week

dave
Old 8/15/05, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am new to the whole "chip" thing...Can someone please explain the process? Do you actually remove a chip out of the car and replace it with the new one??? Sorry for sounding so stupid but Im old school...ya know back in the days when you could actually worrk on your own cars !!! .... So any info would be appreciated. Also, does BAMA ship to Canada eh????
Old 8/15/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Ive heard of Doug dealing to Canada before.. but Ill have to let him speak on that one for himself.

Most of these devices, Diablo & SCT, are just tunes. They link up to the computer via a connection cable, and allow you to adjust the tunes therein.

There are a few, I think JET (dont hold me to this one specifically) that work as piggy back devices, that link between the computer and the engine, and modify them there.

Aannd. Im pretty sure theres atleast one device that actually replaces the entire chip.
Old 8/15/05, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Will this tuner prevent the hesitation problem that people have been saying the mustang has? Also about how much of an increase does the tuner give you and will the tuner affect warrenty or anything of that nature? and lastly does using the tuner mean that you have to start using a higher octane gas? Sorry if these are dumb questions but i don't know ANYTHING about them! Thanks
Old 8/15/05, 05:18 PM

I've got a question for Doug,

What is the difference between the two 91 tunes you have preprogrammed, the 91 performance and 91 torque??
Old 8/15/05, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HorsC@August 15, 2005, 6:16 PM
Will this tuner prevent the hesitation problem that people have been saying the mustang has? Also about how much of an increase does the tuner give you and will the tuner affect warrenty or anything of that nature? and lastly does using the tuner mean that you have to start using a higher octane gas? Sorry if these are dumb questions but i don't know ANYTHING about them! Thanks
Yup, itll eliminate the throttle lag completely, along with freeing up alot of torque. The amount of power its really going to make is going to depend on the tune and mostly your mods. It will optimize many performance qualifications, including leveling out your A/F ratio. The greatest benefits are gained when you start modding the car. It MAY void your warranty.. thats up to your dealership. But you can always flash your ECU back to stock before taking it in and eliminate the problem all together. Nope, no higher octane gas will be required. A tune can be made and customized to your own car with whatever octane gas you prefer.

The only stupid questions, are usually the ones not asked

Quick Reply: Buying an Xcal2