V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Building a Dual Exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/11, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a Dual Exhuast

after i did some research and read a few things and im considering building my own dual exhaust and i wanted you guys to go over it, see if you see any problems or if it just wont work. what i was plannig on doing was purchasing the 2005-10 Mustang 4.6L Ford Racing X-Pipe, Cut And Clamp Design from like late model restoration.com and then the GT LH side exhuast pipe from a ford parts website (what i've read is that the GT RH side pipe is the same one on our v6 ) and find the final one clamp, two hanger and four screws from a junkyard or something, because at $10 a screw from a ford website i think is too much. so after i got the parts what i would do is measure how far i have to cut my y-pipe from my exhaust pipe i already have then cut the y-pipe below that CC's and place in the new x-pipe clamp it down on the cuts and onto my established exhuast pipe, then run in the new GT RH exhuast pipe connect it to the x-pipe with the junkyard clamp. then place in the two junkyard hanger pieces on with there bolts, and finally the GT take-off mufflers that i own.
Again any info you guys might have or problems you see please share
Old 8/11/11, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good, yes the RH pipe is the same as to GT.
Old 8/15/11, 01:40 PM

Do you think the borla x-pipe would make any difference to the Ford Racing x-pipe? In the pics the bends on the pipes look different, do you think there could be any differences? and i head that the steel pypes uses is also thin and damages easy or would you see any logical difference in all 3 brands?
Old 8/15/11, 05:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Don't use pypes, they don't fit right. Otherwise there's no difference in performance.
The only thing that will give you more performance is getting rid of the stock V6 muffler, it's very restrictive,
after that what ever muffler and setup ( X, H, or Y ) you pick will all be similar.

I used an H on my '06 (cut/weld) and reverse Y (bolt-on) on my '10... absolutely no difference. both with '05-'09 GT manual mufflers

Last edited by cinque35; 8/20/11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by cinque35
Don't use pypes, they don't fit right. Otherwise there's no difference in performance.
The only thing that will give you more performance is getting rid of the stock V6 muffler, it's very restrictive,
after that what ever muffler and setup ( X, H, or Y ) you pick will all be similar.

I used an H on my '06 (cut/weld) and reverse Y (bolt-on) on my '10... absolutely no difference. both with '05-'09 GT manual mufflers
yeah i heard bad things about pypes, right now im running a GT manuel single exhuast that i got from a GT CS do you think the x or h sound the same or are they a world apart? to me they sound the same i just hear that if you run with an X you get like 1 HP more the a H, that reverse Y looks interesting where did you get that part? that actually look like it would work the same as a X

Last edited by jabdesign010; 8/15/11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 06:28 PM
Cobra R Member

It's a Mac dual conversion kit, got it on ebay.
yeah they sound the same, definitely louder once you put the second one on.

Last edited by cinque35; 8/20/11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 8/24/11, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I went down the route of using the Pypes cut & clamp X pipe, and it has worked great.

https://themustangsource.com/f801/20...nstall-488823/

Now that I have had this system installed for nearly a year, the only bit of advice I would have is to weld the X-pipe in place, and not clamp it. The clamps never kept their clamp load, and were always shifting on me. Other than that, it makes for one of the best sounding 4.0 cars I've ever heard.
Old 10/19/11, 09:58 PM

Curious, if you where to order the duel exhaust kit and where to install it yourself. What kind of labor are we talking here? Tools needed and how much would one save by doing this instead of taking it to the shop?

DSHEP
Old 10/20/11, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

The only "specialty tool" required for this is a sawzall, or some kind of tool to cut the existing Y-Pipe. Other than that, it is a very straight-forward install. Remember, measure twice, cut once.
Old 10/20/11, 07:47 AM

That's a nice mod. I wonder if you would get a good sound with the pypes pype bomb in place of the GT takeoff mufflers. I think they sound great on a GT but maybe the 4.0 is too raspy ? I have the thought that it would sound great and on my GT I saved about 20 pounds in weight by going with the pype bombs. Maybe even find a couple horses by taking the corks off that new dual exhaust.

Last edited by AlaskaStang; 10/20/11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10/27/11, 04:04 PM

i had another question i saw this on criagslist its off a Gt 05-09 for $75 (dont know the year) would it fit on my V-6 just like that bolted on to were my old cal verters used to be?
Attached Images