V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Brand new to the Mustang world...

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from the nation's capital! I recently purchased my 2005 Mustang, black, leather interior, with exterior upgrades and shaker 1000. It is a amazing car as is, however I would like to be able to add some horsepower and make some mods in order to get a deeper sound. Doing some reading, and figured I could start with the MMR CAI and some duel exhaust. However, I have not found any duel exhuast for the 05 V6 as of yet. Anyone who can point me in the right direction with this, I would be very greatful!
Old 3/24/05, 01:18 PM

JBA has a dual coming out on april 10 and magnaflow has coming out
Old 3/24/05, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by doc0075579@March 24, 2005, 9:49 AM
Greetings from the nation's capital! I recently purchased my 2005 Mustang, black, leather interior, with exterior upgrades and shaker 1000. It is a amazing car as is, however I would like to be able to add some horsepower and make some mods in order to get a deeper sound. Doing some reading, and figured I could start with the MMR CAI and some duel exhaust. However, I have not found any duel exhuast for the 05 V6 as of yet. Anyone who can point me in the right direction with this, I would be very greatful!
sorry not JBA but MAC
Old 3/24/05, 01:31 PM
GT Member

Thanks, another question... If I add duel exhaust do I need the GT Valance so that they look right?
Old 3/24/05, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

MAC Performance has dual exhaust now
Old 3/24/05, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by doc0075579@March 24, 2005, 1:34 PM
Thanks, another question... If I add duel exhaust do I need the GT Valance so that they look right?

I'm planning to get the GT rear valance when we do an exhast system upgrade. I think they look better.
Old 3/24/05, 04:33 PM
GT Member

How much is the valance for the GT??
Old 3/24/05, 09:35 PM

where can i get a gt rear valance?
Old 3/26/05, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I like the street scene rear valance! It would look great on the V6 with Dual Mufflers!!!
Old 3/26/05, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Where would one get the street scene rear valance??
Old 3/27/05, 07:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lot's of places sell them. Just type "SSE 2005 MUSTANG REAR VALANCE" into your web browser. CDC also sells a rear lip I think? Anyone know the best place for price? e-bay???
Old 3/27/05, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey for the price you're not gonna beat the job I did with a razor blade!
Old 3/28/05, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Any photo's of yours?????? I would like to see it before I try cutting! Personally I think the V6 rear valance is too short....you can see up under the car in the rear too much! A lower valance will look better!

My $0.02
Old 3/31/05, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

I figured this is as good a place as any to put this, since I'm a newbie to the world of car mods (hence the handle).

I got my V6 Mustang just before Thanksgiving and have started looking at ways to "uncork" the engine. From what I understand, the exhaust and the intake would be the best places to start. However, I'm finding the education a bit slow. Stangnet users seem to assume everyone knows the difference between "catbacks" and "axelbacks", whether the Y-pipe or X-pipe would work better, and if short pipes run better than long pipes. Unfortunately, I've always thought that as long as my car got me where I wanted, I didn't really worry about it. To make a long story slightly shorter, can anyone either give me a quick primer Exhaust 101, or point me in the right direction?

Also, any tips on what is the most cost-efficient way to make my Mustang more efficient would be helpful. I'm thinking on starting with the MMR CAI then the K&N air filter, but after that I'm open for discussion. Throttle body? Exhaust? I'm not a racer, but I drive my car a LOT, so any way to squeeze a bit more mileage and a few more horses out of my car would be appreciated.
Old 3/31/05, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by WorkInProgress@March 31, 2005, 1:45 PM
I figured this is as good a place as any to put this, since I'm a newbie to the world of car mods (hence the handle).

I got my V6 Mustang just before Thanksgiving and have started looking at ways to "uncork" the engine. From what I understand, the exhaust and the intake would be the best places to start. However, I'm finding the education a bit slow. Stangnet users seem to assume everyone knows the difference between "catbacks" and "axelbacks", whether the Y-pipe or X-pipe would work better, and if short pipes run better than long pipes. Unfortunately, I've always thought that as long as my car got me where I wanted, I didn't really worry about it. To make a long story slightly shorter, can anyone either give me a quick primer Exhaust 101, or point me in the right direction?

I also would like some Exhaust 101!

I've already purchased a set of GT take-off mufflers and was considering custom dual exhaust. I really don't understand why people are running X-pipe or H-pipe. The V6 comes with two cats so why not run two seperate pipes to the mufflers?

Also, my friends dad, director of a Ford service center in Houston, says installing the GT muffler will cause the valves to wear down faster since it is not designed for the V6. Any comments on this?
Old 3/31/05, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by toronado+March 31, 2005, 2:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado @ March 31, 2005, 2:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-WorkInProgress@March 31, 2005, 1:45 PM

I also would like some Exhaust 101!

I've already purchased a set of GT take-off mufflers and was considering custom dual exhaust. I really don't understand why people are running X-pipe or H-pipe. The V6 comes with two cats so why not run two seperate pipes to the mufflers?

Also, my friends dad, director of a Ford service center in Houston, says installing the GT muffler will cause the valves to wear down faster since it is not designed for the V6. Any comments on this?
[/b][/quote]

The X and H pipes balance the exhaust gases comming out of the engine- this system offers a little backpressure- which is needed for the engine to function properly. Too little or too much backpressure hurts horsepower. And about what your friends dad says- installing a GT muffler would have no effect on the engine life of your V6. There is however the slight chance of loss of HP, due to a change in backpressure- but the chance of this is really low because the mufflers on this new generation of muffler is behind the rear axle.

As for an explanation of Cat-Back and Axle-Back. Those are two different systems of mufflers. The Cat-Back replaces all the pipes and mufflers behind the Catilytic Convertors. The Axle-Back replaces just the Muffler and a small section of pipe that connects the muffler to the pipe directly in front of the muffler. In my opinion, the Axle-Back is the way to go with this generation since all the piping is 2.5" Mandrel (meaning even during the bend, the diameter is still the same, as opposed to standard bent pipe) bent.

I hope that helps and I can try to answer any further questions the best I can.

O yeah, welcome to the performance scene- your gonna love it!
Old 3/31/05, 05:58 PM

Thanks BlackMustang!

Can you also explain why someone in another thread mentioned disconnecting the battery for a few minutes after a muffler install? I think he said this resulted in better tone? (or something)

I'm guessing this resets the computer and somehow the computer is smart enough to adapt to the new muffler?
Old 3/31/05, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by toronado@March 31, 2005, 7:01 PM
Thanks BlackMustang!

Can you also explain why someone in another thread mentioned disconnecting the battery for a few minutes after a muffler install? I think he said this resulted in better tone? (or something)

I'm guessing this resets the computer and somehow the computer is smart enough to adapt to the new muffler?
I believe I read that post also. He claims it allows the computer to adjust to the new backpressure. I'm not sure exactly how true that is, being the last exhaust sensor is at the catalytic convertor. But, you might as well try it- nothing to lose, and maybe some extra power to gain!
Old 3/31/05, 10:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@March 31, 2005, 3:01 PM
I hope that helps and I can try to answer any further questions the best I can.

O yeah, welcome to the performance scene- your gonna love it!
Thanks for the info. Believe me, I'll take any advice I can get. Any personal preference on brand of muffler/exhaust? I know about Borla, Magnaflow, Bassani, etc. I'm not big on the cost of Borla (I think they're pretty much the most expensive, I could be wrong) but I'm kind of of the "Do it right the first time" school of thought. I was thinking about trying to dual out the Magnaflows (I see a GT set on the Magnaflow site for $571.64).
Old 4/1/05, 02:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

if you add a gt bumper and duel exhaust and want a chip and ca intake.... sounds like it would have been better to start with a gt, jmo.... but i can understand if it is for insurance reasons as I pay 2400/year for my GT