V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

auto vs manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do we think about the automatic vs manual transmission on the V6? Is the difference very noticeable? I'm curious what your thoughts are because I've never learned to drive a stick, but I'm told it's easy to figure out and more fun to drive that way. On the other hand, I kind of think it'd be easier to sell a auto transmission (several years from now of course). The argument to that is that anyone in the market for a Mustang probably knows how to drive a stick anyway. What do you guys think?
Old 5/2/05, 07:11 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I prefer the manual.
Had to get the auto cause I had a car wreck and had to buy off the lot. Gears are a pleasure to handle on the manual.
Autos fun, but its just stick in D and go....Blah.
Old 5/2/05, 08:06 PM
V6 Member

I thought about a stick but my better half (wife) reminded me that I spend alot of time on I-15 in San Diego during rush hour and a manual would lose its fun after a few weeks. Makes sense to me, so I ended up paying the 900+ for the auto.
Old 5/2/05, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Im a manual guy all the way. Ive dragged against an 05 v6 automatic, and the difference is night and day. If i lived in traffic i would have bought an automatic though.... but it would have been a kia lol
Old 5/3/05, 05:34 AM
GT Member

This is my first automatic Mustang and I've been loving it. With today's technology, the automatic shifts faster and smoother than I can manually.

However, if I didn't have stop-and-go traffic every day, I would have bought a manual. It depends on where you live, drive, etc.

Also, it's a $1,000 option. That alone would explain any increase in re-sale value!
Old 5/3/05, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

The manual is a lot more fun and it is quicker. I do a lot of stop and go on my way to work and I still prefer the manual. Besides I could not justify paying $1,000 for the auto.

Again it is all in what you prefer and are comfortable with.
Old 5/3/05, 09:08 AM
GT Member

No one can really tell you what to do because this is such a personal thing. I've had 3 cars that were manual, but I just ordered my V6 in an automatic.

A stick is great unless you live in an area with a lot of traffic. Then it really stinks.

A stick is faster.

But you don't want to learn how to drive one on your car. Go learn on someone else's clutch.

The truth is the first clutch will last the longest. Once you replace it, it's all downhill from there.

I don't know if these Mustangs have a self-adjusting cluch, my 92 did, and that helps.

All in all, you get used to it. Auto or stick, it doesn't matter on the highway. Just don't learn on your car, and between now and the time you buy, notice the roads you drive on. How many hills, how many lights, how much traffic because that's when a stick is a major pain in the hiney.

They changed my word to "hiney" wow, I haven't heard that word in years. Fundament would have been my choice, but hiney ...
Old 5/3/05, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Super Sonic Blue Mustang is right - I drive in medium traffic 5 days a week and to be honest it was a major concern for me, when I ordered manual, but $1000 is a lot of money for me, so auto was out of the question. I drove in traffic for over two weeks now, and it's really not too bad. It's a very personal decision though. $1000 is a lot of money, but if you get very aggavated by traffic, then auto is a better way to go. For example my wife, does not like driving manual, so no more drinking at parties for me, which is not necessarily a bad thing
Old 5/3/05, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Too much traffic around here so I went with the auto. And, I think it probably shifts smoother than I ever could with a stick. I am lovin' it!
Old 5/4/05, 10:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You burn more calories with a stick.
Old 5/4/05, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

As others have said, its really preferance. I got the auto due to 90% of my driving beeing in heavy stop and go traffic. At those times i like the fact I got the auto, but then the other 10% of them time when i'm on an open stretch i get bummed I can't run through the gears.