V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

ASP pulley caution....

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if 05V6 and I are the only ones running the ASP crank pulley or not... but working with 05V6, we discovered the belt recommended by ASP is actually to long!

My car developed a horrible belt squeal last week... started small but got worse as the week progressed... Well this weekend I decided to get to the bottom of it! The belt that is in the install instructions is an 86 inch belt. I checked with 05V6 and it turns out he is running an 86.5 inch belt with NO SQUEAL... I was suprised that he was running a longer belt with no problems... Then I noticed my belt was rubbing the edge of my alternator cover! I never would have noticed if I hadn't painted it. Now I can clear see where the belt has gouged the cover! Now of course I didn't realize that there is an arrow on the tensioner that indicates when you have a correct length belt on... d'oah! Well I installed an 85 inch belt.. and guess what... the arrow is in the right spot! The belt has a LOT more clearance from the alternator cover! And no more SQUEAL!! Now I had 05V6 check his arrow... His arrow is outside of the acceptable range... he also found that his cover is being gouged and had the nasty rubber dust!

So if anyone has the ASP pulley you definitely want to check out the belt situation!

Ok.. here some pics... since they're worth a 1000 words! LOL!

Ok.. Here is the belt tensioner with the 85 inch belt installed... I added the red and black to highlight the areas since the picture was pretty bad...

You can see here how close the 86 belt is to the cover. And the angle of the belt on the pulley...

And finally the 85 inch belt... notice the gouges on the cover and all the rubber dust!

just wanted to point this stuff out...
Old 2/5/06, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's really weird.. I wonder if this will affect performance at all?
Old 2/5/06, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I tell ya, I just don't think it's worth it for the small amount of hp you get. If I were you I'd switch back to the stock pulleys and belt. I don't think you'll miss the 4hp or whatever it was, lol.
Old 2/5/06, 06:09 PM
GT Member

No he can't take it off then he would be back under 200hp NA. Not allowed!
Old 2/5/06, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrumStyxs10 @ February 5, 2006, 9:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No he can't take it off then he would be back under 200hp NA. Not allowed!
[/b][/quote]

I know you're just joking...but seriously, it's just not worth the risk. I mean, if he wants more power he's got nitrous.
Old 2/5/06, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 5, 2006, 8:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I tell ya, I just don't think it's worth it for the small amount of hp you get. If I were you I'd switch back to the stock pulleys and belt. I don't think you'll miss the 4hp or whatever it was, lol.
[/b][/quote]

Trusted me I thought about it! LOL! But now that I have the kinks worked out... LOL! It's also a big hassle to swap it out... not a 5 minute job and requires the special harmonic puller... and like Drum said... as the arm race continues to escalate I can't afford to go backwards in HP!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 5, 2006, 8:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know you're just joking...but seriously, it's just not worth the risk. I mean, if he wants more power he's got nitrous.
[/b][/quote]

I think you're referring to that article about the dangers of a pulley swap... don't really think it applys to our cars.. or a least I hope it doesn't... if it does then you get to give me the big "I told you so!" LOL!
Old 2/5/06, 06:26 PM
Cobra R Member

*cough* 175 shot *cough* lol [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 06:33 PM
GT Member

Nice pics...my cover is grooved a lot more than that, I'll pick up a new belt tomorrow. As far as taking the pulley off, hey HP is HP, it's not it like it doesn't help. One other thing, Scrming alerted me to the problem, if it wasn't for him, there is no telling when I may have noticed it...So thanks Scrming [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 5, 2006, 8:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
*cough* 175 shot *cough* lol [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

*cough* BITE ME! *cough* LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 5, 2006, 7:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
*cough* BITE ME! *cough* LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

lol, no thanks, but i know a few girls that would take that offer hah.

You dont need more power, ur already creeping up on the low 13s
Old 2/5/06, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 5, 2006, 8:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
lol, no thanks, but i know a few girls that would take that offer hah.

You dont need more power, ur already creeping up on the low 13s
[/b][/quote]

Yeah... that's what Lidio keeps telling me... (about more power, not the girls! LOL) Every time I want to move to the 125's he reminds me of how bad I spin now! LOL!
Old 2/5/06, 06:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 5, 2006, 9:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah... that's what Lidio keeps telling me... (about more power, not the girls! LOL) Every time I want to move to the 125's he reminds me of how bad I spin now! LOL!
[/b][/quote]

When are you hitting the nitrous switch? Right off the line?
Old 2/5/06, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 5, 2006, 8:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When are you hitting the nitrous switch? Right off the line?
[/b][/quote]

Pretty much... The spray comes on at WOT... Now I don't just SLAM the pedal down, I do kind of ease into it so the car is starting to move when the spray hits but it is fairly early... i've never datalogged it to see just how long after I let off the brake until the spray hits...
Old 2/5/06, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 5, 2006, 10:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Pretty much... The spray comes on at WOT... Now I don't just SLAM the pedal down, I do kind of ease into it so the car is starting to move when the spray hits but it is fairly early... i've never datalogged it to see just how long after I let off the brake until the spray hits...
[/b][/quote]

I know it comes on at WOT, heh. I'm hitting the track this coming weekend...for sure. Here's what I've been thinking: you're wasting time spinning at the line, obviously. Why not hit the arming switch after you hook up? I mean the switch is RIGHT THERE, I put mine in the same place as yours. We both have autos. It's not the hard to just reach up and flick the switch after you launch. I've been chomping at the bit to try this for a long time now. I'll finally get my chance this weekend, nothing is going to stand in my way. I'm also thinking of running the rear tires at 20-25psi. I won't bother with unhooking the front sway bar until I go to a bigger shot. I'll let you know how it all works out. Once I get the launch all straightened out at a 75 shot, I will will move up to a 100 or 125.

Can I ask one more thing? What were your times N/A and with a 75 shot? I want something to shoot for. Once I nail that, I'll be heading for the 12s. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

20 psi will/might help your launch but its definately going to hurt you once you get going as there will more a lot of rolling resistance. i wouldnt go lower than 25 (my best times have been around 27psi)
Old 2/6/06, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 5, 2006, 9:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know it comes on at WOT, heh. I'm hitting the track this coming weekend...for sure. Here's what I've been thinking: you're wasting time spinning at the line, obviously. Why not hit the arming switch after you hook up? I mean the switch is RIGHT THERE, I put mine in the same place as yours. We both have autos. It's not the hard to just reach up and flick the switch after you launch. I've been chomping at the bit to try this for a long time now. I'll finally get my chance this weekend, nothing is going to stand in my way. I'm also thinking of running the rear tires at 20-25psi. I won't bother with unhooking the front sway bar until I go to a bigger shot. I'll let you know how it all works out. Once I get the launch all straightened out at a 75 shot, I will will move up to a 100 or 125.

Can I ask one more thing? What were your times N/A and with a 75 shot? I want something to shoot for. Once I nail that, I'll be heading for the 12s. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That's the thing...I'm off the line a rolling a bit and then when spray comes on the tires will break loose... some times, depending on track conditions the car will break loose when it shifts to 2nd... which is always exciting! LOL!

I'm not brave enough to hit the switch and have the spray come on... I know you want to make sure you RPMs aren't too high when the spray comes on... I'll let you try this method out and see what happens! LOL!

Actually with the nittos I found the best pressure was fully inflated (around 32 psi)...

The best run on 75 was 14.01... Don't really have an good N/A times... I was going to try and get one last fall but all the tracks ended up closing due to weather... I'll make sure I get one this spring....

I got the feeling that 12's are going to elude us until we get off the street tires... LOL
Old 2/6/06, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 6, 2006, 9:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's the thing...I'm off the line a rolling a bit and then when spray comes on the tires will break loose... some times, depending on track conditions the car will break loose when it shifts to 2nd... which is always exciting! LOL!

I'm not brave enough to hit the switch and have the spray come on... I know you want to make sure you RPMs aren't too high when the spray comes on... I'll let you try this method out and see what happens! LOL!

Actually with the nittos I found the best pressure was fully inflated (around 32 psi)...

The best run on 75 was 14.01... Don't really have an good N/A times... I was going to try and get one last fall but all the tracks ended up closing due to weather... I'll make sure I get one this spring....

I got the feeling that 12's are going to elude us until we get off the street tires... LOL
[/b][/quote]

So you're saying that the spray has to come on at lower rpms? I'm not going to try anything that might hurt my motor. What have you heard about that?
Old 2/8/06, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 6, 2006, 9:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

LOL? What do you know about this?
Old 2/8/06, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 8, 2006, 3:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
LOL? What do you know about this?
[/b][/quote]

The first time we took the car out of a test of the Zex, Lidio said "Don't just reach over and flip it on..." He might have explained why... but i have since forgetten if he did... I just know I've never done it... LOL!
Old 2/8/06, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 8, 2006, 4:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The first time we took the car out of a test of the Zex, Lidio said "Don't just reach over and flip it on..." He might have explained why... but i have since forgetten if he did... I just know I've never done it... LOL!
[/b][/quote]

Well can you ask him if you don't mind? I've actually just flipped the switch on the street a few times right after I floor it because I didn't want it coming on before 2500RPMs(per the instructions). I don't really see what it would hurt but then I don't know everything. If it's going to hurt my motor I definitely don't want to "try and see"!

Quick Reply: ASP pulley caution....