V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

AI without the C

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

This isn't really a question about CAI's-- but it is in a way. I don't want to spend the money to get a CAI kit, but I do want to do something with my intake. I was wondering if I can keep the "hose" I guess you would call it, and just remove the box with the filter and stick a K&N conical shaped filer on the end of it. Kind of like a CAI without the heatshields and what not. Can this be done? If so, how?
Old 7/6/05, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this would be practically worthless to do, since CAI's replace the stock air tube. They do this to reduce the air turbulence that is caused by the design of the stock tube. I could possibly see this as a bad thing due to you would be stinking HOT air being produced by the engine instead of the cooler air surrounding the wheel well..
Old 7/6/05, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lethaljay@July 6, 2005, 9:06 PM
I think this would be practically worthless to do, since CAI's replace the stock air tube. They do this to reduce the air turbulence that is caused by the design of the stock tube. I could possibly see this as a bad thing due to you would be stinking HOT air being produced by the engine instead of the cooler air surrounding the wheel well..

Actually several people online have reported drilling some additional (approx 2.5") holes in the stock airbox does noticably improve flow even with the stock tube, so I think his idea might actually provide a modest gain.
Old 7/6/05, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

My dad's 93 LX had a k&N filter stuck on the stock tube and it was worthless. Its a bit defferent than the 05 since the intake was right about the eaxhaust headers and the 05 isnt like that. I persoanly would get a CAI?
Old 7/6/05, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Hotrod@July 6, 2005, 9:51 PM
I persoanly would get a CAI?
Agreed, a real CAI is the best choice
Old 7/6/05, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@July 6, 2005, 6:57 PM
This isn't really a question about CAI's-- but it is in a way. I don't want to spend the money to get a CAI kit, but I do want to do something with my intake. I was wondering if I can keep the "hose" I guess you would call it, and just remove the box with the filter and stick a K&N conical shaped filer on the end of it. Kind of like a CAI without the heatshields and what not. Can this be done? If so, how?
You mean like these? http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm
The MAC and MMR use the stock tube and just replace the air box with a conical filter. Air sensor is changed as well of course. No tunes required, but work better if used.
Old 7/6/05, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It would still be a CAI, I dont get how it'd be a CAI without the C. As long as you get an unrestrictive filter at the end, more air is being forced in, and its cooler since the engine is doing less work to stink in any available air as in a stock setup. The shield and filter are what makes a CAI anyway. The aftermarket inlet hoses/tubes just make it smoother.
So yeah, you can get one, there are tons out there. Look at Steedas, they dont reaquire a new tube for thei CAI.
Old 7/6/05, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 6, 2005, 11:29 PM
It would still be a CAI, I dont get how it'd be a CAI without the C.
I think he was initially talking about JUST adding the filter (no shield/sealing) hence the lack of a "C", as it would be mostly drawing ambient warm air under the hood.
Old 7/6/05, 11:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

MMR's doesnt have a heat shield, but is considered a CAI, how is it any different aside from providing a different tube. I suppose it is part guessing without real testing, but somehow I think the difference would be minimal.
Old 7/7/05, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by P_Kiley@July 7, 2005, 12:51 AM
I think he was initially talking about JUST adding the filter (no shield/sealing) hence the lack of a "C", as it would be mostly drawing ambient warm air under the hood.

Yes. although, in all honesty, I wasn't trying to get too techincal in my title, I just needed an attention grabber. Another reason I wanted to look into this is b/c the one CAI I want (K&N) requires cutting a hose. I'm not too keen on the idea of snipping off parts of my new car.

As far as the current alternative CAI's, I don't really like the looks of 'em. I'm not looking for some huge performance gain. I was originally just going to drop a K&N stock replacement filter in there. I figured a conical shaped one without the box would at least give me a little more air than one in a big plastic case. I didn't think my idea was "worthless..."
Old 7/7/05, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

I thought the K&N CAI set up for the V6 required another $300+ to 'reflash'/rechip the computer. Putting just over $500 in a CAI just doesn't worth it - until gas gets to $3.00 a gallon (late next week, I think).

Anyone know of a method to install the CAI without having to spent the money to put in a new chip/reflash the computer?
Old 7/7/05, 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

The thing is, you get more from the reflash than just being able to use the CAI. The reflash can improve the responsiveness of the electronic throtle, along with a whole other slew of things that can improve the performance of your car, including advancing the spark timing to get more power. That last bit would require you to use higher octane gas, bu the other benefits of the reflash do not. If your car is an auto, you can get even more gains by modifying how the computer instructs the automatic transmission to shift.
Old 7/7/05, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by htwag@July 7, 2005, 2:58 PM
I thought the K&N CAI set up for the V6 required another $300+ to 'reflash'/rechip the computer. Putting just over $500 in a CAI just doesn't worth it - until gas gets to $3.00 a gallon (late next week, I think).

Anyone know of a method to install the CAI without having to spent the money to put in a new chip/reflash the computer?
K&N was tested without any modifcation to the ECM, or any tuning with software. This gave them 7-8 rwhp, while a tune isnt required you'd benefit from one. Some CAI's do require a tune, but K&N isn't one of them.
Old 7/8/05, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

So no one can help me out with this?
Old 7/8/05, 11:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

you want something like this right?

From what I know MMR and Steeda offer a filter element only as an option, but it is quite pricey.
Old 7/9/05, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 9, 2005, 1:52 AM
you want something like this right?

From what I know MMR and Steeda offer a filter element only as an option, but it is quite pricey.
Yes, something like that but I was hoping there was a way that I could somehow fit my own filter on it, thus eliminating the pricey part. Like an adapter of some sort. I dunno, I may be spitballin' here