V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

7.5 Axle Girdle

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/05, 08:48 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jimp@October 24, 2005, 6:25 PM
What's the widest tire that will fit on our cars?

I think its 305's..

I found my tires guys!! They are this one.. The Diameter is close to my tire size now...

Mickey Thompson 275/40R17 ET Street Radial Drag Tire..

http://www.speedunlimited.com/cgi-bin/webc...ml?p_catid=3760

The price is darn good as well.. These are the winners for me.. Its a done deal!
Old 10/24/05, 08:52 PM
MSP
Banned

So with these tires I should look something like this with a 112MPH 12 sec run with my 3.73's..

12.xx ET @ 112 MPH with 3.73's in 4th gear, 25.7" Drag Radial= 5461 RPM

Thats almost a perfect setup!!

12.xx ET @ 112 MPH with 4.10's in 4th gear, 25.7" Drag Radial= 6003 RPM

The 4.10's look pretty good as well with this tire size!
Old 10/24/05, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@October 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
So with these tires I should look something like this with a 112MPH 12 sec run with my 3.73's..
12.xx ET @ 112 MPH with 3.73's in 4th gear, 25.7" Drag Radial= 5461 RPM

Thats almost a perfect setup!!

12.xx ET @ 112 MPH with 4.10's in 4th gear, 25.7" Drag Radial= 6003 RPM

The 4.10's look pretty good as well with this tire size!
You are quite the math wiz! :scratch:
Old 10/24/05, 09:32 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@October 24, 2005, 7:21 PM
You are quite the math wiz! :scratch:

LOL!! Well, with the gearing and the powerband of our motors, it is essential to start from the ground up when buying parts.. Its good to know exactly how things will look before hand, instead of buying mitch-matched parts.. Then getting to the strip, and trying to figure everything out by trial and error..

Atleast I am keenly aware of what the situation is going to be, and can plan for it..

The Gearing and info is found in this link.. Just plug in all the relevant values, and buy parts which match what your intentions are..

http://ford.jbcarpages.com/Mustang/2005/index4.php

Once you know these values, in regards to the transmission gearing ratio's, plugging them in is easy.. This allows you to buy parts which correspond to each other, and not just going on blind faith.. LOL!!

When I get the ZEX kit soon, I will be going straight for the 150SHOT.. You and Scrming have pioneered this for us to a point to where it is pointless for me to follow.. I have learned, we have learned through your testing and R&D what need to be done.. It wont take me 4 or 5 trips to the track to run a Low 12.. I will introduce the world to my Windveil Blue 2005 V6, on the very first day as a 12 sec car.. This way, all subsequent trips to the track, can start to approach upon my real goal which is the 11 second area.. I am planning each upgrade very carefully.. I'm not in a rush..
Old 10/24/05, 09:53 PM
MSP
Banned

When lookin in the link, notice the curb weight of our V6's, as opposed to a GT.. 3450lbs. as opposed to 3560lbs.... This 100+ pounds is why it is very dangerous for any stock GT to oppose us while we are on the juice.. LOL!!

When I do race a GT eventually, I will already understand that he is at a 100lbs. plus disadvantage.. This information, with all my relevant upgrades will insure that as long as I leave first, I will get to the 60' marker first.. There is no way he can catch me, as long as I am there first.. A stock GT wont have enough power..

Now when racing a GT with Nitrous which is pushing 350RWHP, this also holds true to the same theory.. I will still get to the 60' marker first, and there is no way he can catch me.. 100lbs. plus means a Stock GT, or mildley modded GT will have to basically beat me to the 60' area to even have a chance in heck beating me.. LOL!

Scrmings research on the launch scenario has dictated to us that it is an absolute must to have some type of drag radial on the rear-end.. With the amount of torque the 2005 V6 makes properly stated as the SOHC 4.0, it is almost impossible to have a good launch without drag radials.. We know this for a fact.. So insuring I have the right gear for the job, which for me is the 3.73, and understanding that I will not have to fear the launch with the drag radials, I can concentrate on the last 1/8th of the race.. This is my focus... If the launch is good enough to where I can tac out 3rd gear 50ft ahead of the (2nd) 1/8 marker it will be a good run.. We must get into 4th gear before the last 1/8 to make good numbers.. This way, we can run the entire last 1/8 in 4th gear, starting at around 400+ RWTQ.. With the 150Shot of Nitrous..
Old 10/24/05, 10:22 PM
MSP
Banned

Lets take a look at the scenario of the last 1/8th of a quarter mile setup..

For my car with 3.73's the situation will look like this..

In the first 1/8th I must shift from 1st through 3rd and achieve my goal of 85MPH. This places the engine at 5844rpm.. So this means, I need to get to 5844rpm 50ft. before the last 1/8th of the 1/4 mile run..

I will start 4th gear @ 85MPH @ an engine rpm speed of 4145rpm... This should place the engines available RWTQ @ 400RWTQ.. I will run the rest of the race from this number.. The torque number will drop off from 400RWTQ as the rpms increase, but I should be able to finish the race with alittle over 300RWTQ...

The most crucial numbers to look at if your a 2005 V6 owner with a 5spd is the 85MPH, and the engine rpm speed of 5844RPM..

If your racing, and are reading the tach, dont try and hold off the GT by staying in 3rd gear.. Shift the car from 3rd to 4th at 5844rpm, and I can promise you victory, even if he has a fender on you going into the last 1/8th of the race..

This is what is called discipline.. You must not concentrate on your competitor, and his position in relation to you.. Of course, its best to understand who you are racing, and make sure the GT is not blown with 550HP.. LOL! Dont be foolish! Just make sure you shift into 4th gear at around 85 MPH, or 5844RPM..

edited

Corrected the proper 3rd to 4th shift point.. (5844rpm)--Using 150Shot of Nitrous.
Old 10/24/05, 10:29 PM
MSP
Banned

This shows Scrming's speed going into the last 1/8th with the 100shot jets on his Zex kit..

103.632MPH 1/8th-time 8.629 1/8th-speed 82.191 2.059

His car is an Automatic running the 100shot.. So my theory has been validated and is more than accurate.. There is no doubt looking at these numbers, I can make 85MPH easily with the 150shot 50ft. before the last 1/8th of the race..

Its all math guys.. By using it, I will set this 2005 V6 up to be a true killer!! LOL!! You cant deny all my math adds up to victory!

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford--Mustang-Drag-Racing.html

Look for John Stachlewicz's run..
Old 10/24/05, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have 275's all the way around mine.

Does anybody know how much the single turbo is going to run?
Old 10/24/05, 11:00 PM
MSP
Banned

Looking at this time of a 1983 Mustang GT, which ran a 12.5 ET, this shows that I am indeed close to the mark for a mid 12.xx run...

106.990 1/8th time-7.971 1/8th speed-86.440 1.825 86.0

Look for Chris Nevels

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford--Mustang-Drag-Racing.html

So this has also validated my theory.. This places my shift point and speed appropriatley to run this time.. Now my goal is to shift into 4th 50ft before the last 1/8th.. This means, my launch and shift accuracy must be perfect.. This time and speed for this cars 1/8th mile indicates that for me to get to 85MPH 50FT. before the last 1/8th, I need to be movin pretty briskly.. LOL!!

I'll need to contemplate this further..

Actually, looking at his run further, it appears the motor just gave up in the last 1/8th of his run.. Yes he is @ 106MPH running a 12.5, when he should be at around 111MPH or 112MPH.. Something happened towards the end of the run for him.. His 1/8th mile time is good though.. But he didnt finish the race as good as he could have.. He is running a 1983 Mustang GT, so perhaps this means something.. However, he still ran a 12.5ET, but his 106MPH is suspicious none the less..

It could have been his gearing...

Here is a link to his car.. Obviously its been highley modified.. I'm trying to locate his stock gearing though..

http://www.mustanggt.org/gtchange.htm

It could have been his transmission.. Notice the 4-speed SROD!!

This is most likley why his run ended at 106MPH..

It is more than likley he was running the 3.27 gears... Looking at his 1/8th mile would look like this.. This will tell us the mountian 4th gear had to climb to get to 106MPH at 12.5 ET..

So he started out his last 1/8th @ 3417RPM.. So this is why his run was stopped at 106mph.. Still a really impressive time for an 83 GT none the less.. Kudos to him!!
Old 10/25/05, 03:17 AM
Cobra Member

I can't seem to link directly to the tires... but check out these guys drag radials. They have a tire the same size as my nittos...

M & H
Old 10/25/05, 12:53 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@October 25, 2005, 1:20 AM
I can't seem to link directly to the tires... but check out these guys drag radials. They have a tire the same size as my nittos...

M & H

Nice Link Scrming! There are indeed some good tires there, with alittle better pricing.. I have added to my bookmarks!

Did you read through my thoughts alittle, and do you somewhat agree at shifting at 5844rpm at 85MPH @ 50ft. before the last 1/8th? This is of course using the 150 shot, calculated with the 3.73's and using 25.7" drag radials, in a 5Spd..
Old 10/25/05, 12:58 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scotts05custom@October 24, 2005, 8:53 PM
I have 275's all the way around mine.

Does anybody know how much the single turbo is going to run?

We are not sure on the pricing yet for the Turbo setup.. My worst fear is it is more than $1599 for the complete kit.. LOL!! I know this seems like a low price, but it is a single turbo solution, and not a twin.. Also, I am thinking of whats in the best interest for Powerhouse Automotive, which is to sell the units in volume, and not just 1 or 2 a month..

Should Mike Bowen price this @ $1599, he will be one of the wealthiest Mustang performance guru's of the century! There are thousands of 05 V6's on the road.. Which means there are thousands of men who would pay $1599 for his single turbo solution!
Old 10/25/05, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 25, 2005, 2:01 PM
We are not sure on the pricing yet for the Turbo setup.. My worst fear is it is more than $1599 for the complete kit.. LOL!! I know this seems like a low price, but it is a single turbo solution, and not a twin.. Also, I am thinking of whats in the best interest for Powerhouse Automotive, which is to sell the units in volume, and not just 1 or 2 a month..

Should Mike Bowen price this @ $1599, he will be one of the wealthiest Mustang performance guru's of the century! There are thousands of 05 V6's on the road.. Which means there are thousands of men who would pay $1599 for his single turbo solution!
well a single turbo unit, no plumbing or any other hardware , will cost $1200 to $1600.. so I really see no way for them to get you a complete kit for $1599...
Old 10/25/05, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 25, 2005, 3:01 PM

I believe he said somewhere(maybe in a pm?) that it would be comparable to a SC as far as pricing. Which would be around $4000.
Old 10/25/05, 05:05 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@October 25, 2005, 12:06 PM
I believe he said somewhere(maybe in a pm?) that it would be comparable to a SC as far as pricing. Which would be around $4000.
Jimp, why do I get the feeling that Nitrous is our best bet? I wont pay $4k.. Not knowing what I know about Nitrous... I could put $4k back into the motor with Heads, Forged Pistons, head gaskets, and some other things.. And use nitrous to make it run 10's... I aint paying more than $1500.. I am already starting to lean towards Nitrous as the permanent power-adder any way..
Old 10/25/05, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@October 25, 2005, 6:08 PM
Jimp, why do I get the feeling that Nitrous is our best bet? I wont pay $4k.. Not knowing what I know about Nitrous... I could put $4k back into the motor with Heads, Forged Pistons, head gaskets, and some other things.. And use nitrous to make it run 10's... I aint paying more than $1500.. I am already starting to lean towards Nitrous as the permanent power-adder any way..

You know, I was just asking myself the same thing. Isn't nitrous harder on the engine than a SC or Turbo? I hear turbo is the safest setup for the engine, and also read that if you go nitrous, you are better off with a wet system. Here is a link on it:

http://www.sverrekahrsracing.no/lystgass/d.../dry-vs-wet.htm

And if Nitrous is ok on it (considering you keep a close eye on the engine), is there a two stage nitrous setup to put more power to the wheels on the entire 1/4 mile run?

I'm sure someone has an opinion on this.
Old 10/25/05, 05:28 PM

Also, I found this doing research on the subject:

SUPERCHARGING
PRO / CON

Tremendous Image Appeal/ High Initial Cost
Minimal Maintenance Cost/ Additional Fuel System Cost
Instant Power Anytime/ Often Noisy
Tremendous Variety/Choices Difficult to Hide (No Stealth)
Easy HP Upgrade/ Adds Weight

Bolt-on Kits / Sometimes Difficult to Install
Works Well w/ EFI / Potential for Catastrophic Engine Failure
Extremely Durable/ Added Mechanical Complexity

NITROUS OXIDE
PRO / CON

Inexpensive Initial Cost/ Continual Cost tTo Refill Bottle
Instant Power Increase/ Hassle Factor in Refilling Bottle
Easy to Install / Difficulty in Finding Refill Station
Easily Tuneable / Must stop and open bottle valve
Easily Hidden/Stealthy/ Potential for Catastrophic Engine Failure
Low Maintenance / Limited “Fun” Time for Each Bottle
Image Appeal/ Excellent Bang for the Buck
Old 10/25/05, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 25, 2005, 7:08 PM
I don't see how they could sell it for $1500. Maybe I'm way off here. But even at $4000 or so it's still a good deal IMO. I'd still consider getting one even though I already have Zex. Zex is great for track times but with the turbo the power would always be there. I don't mind spending the extra money on something I really enjoy.
Old 10/25/05, 05:47 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@October 25, 2005, 3:42 PM
I don't see how they could sell it for $1500. Maybe I'm way off here. But even at $4000 or so it's still a good deal IMO. I'd still consider getting one even though I already have Zex. Zex is great for track times but with the turbo the power would always be there. I don't mind spending the extra money on something I really enjoy.
I guess with my specialized drivers license, Nitrous is enough.. This ensures I have made myself aware of the situation, before I endanger my livlihood.. For most of you, its ok to get a ticket above 90+ MPH.. For me, its to risky.. I am expected to at all times be mindfull of all traffic laws.. Speeding for me is an indication of a lapse of judgement..

On a dailey basis, I must deliver and check to make certain JetFuel is delivered to the airports.. I am paid quite well for this.. Under these circumstances, nitrous is best for me, because it allows me to consider the risk.. If I had the turbo, I wouldnt have time to consider any of the risk associated with a high speed azz woopin I would hand out atleast once a day, to some unsuspecting Ricer, or Vette.. LOL!! I need something I must physically open the trunk and turn on.. Needless to say, an Automatic Bottle opener is something I will avoid!.. LOL!!
Old 10/25/05, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by MSP@October 25, 2005, 6:50 PM
I guess with my specialized drivers license, Nitrous is enough.. This ensures I have made myself aware of the situation, before I endanger my livlihood.. For most of you, its ok to get a ticket above 90+ MPH.. For me, its to risky.. I am expected to at all times be mindfull of all traffic laws.. Speeding for me is an indication of a lapse of judgement..

On a dailey basis, I must deliver and check to make certain JetFuel is delivered to the airports.. I am paid quite well for this.. Under these circumstances, nitrous is best for me, because it allows me to consider the risk.. If I had the turbo, I wouldnt have time to consider any of the risk associated with a high speed azz woopin I would hand out atleast once a day, to some unsuspecting Ricer, or Vette.. LOL!! I need something I must physically open the trunk and turn on.. Needless to say, an Automatic Bottle opener is something I will avoid!.. LOL!!

Thats a good point! With nitrous, it forces restraint...and you will be more likely to use it at the track. I can't afford any more tickets!!!

Quick Reply: 7.5 Axle Girdle