V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

2008 V6 Mustang: Turbocharger vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/10, 03:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 V6 Mustang: Turbocharger vs. Supercharger

Good Afternoon!
I was talking to a guy at a local shop, and we began to discuss the 2011 V6 Mustang. The ads tout it as having 305 horsepower, which is impressive for a V6. I would like to boost things a bit for my 2008 V6. He suggested a turbocharger; I was thinking of a supercharger. What are the pros and cons of each? I don't intend to race; I just want to have more power if/when needed.
Many thanks,
Fritz
Old 8/31/10, 03:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is my understanding (I'm NA) that a supercharger will provide power throughout the power band starting at low rpm's. Whereas centrifugal's and turbo's don't kick in until higher revs. So some depends on the way you drive. Not everyone hangs out at 5-6k rpm.
Old 8/31/10, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Yeah. I don't need it to race. I just want to have access to the extra power should I want/need it.
Old 8/31/10, 06:23 PM

I went turbo with my 05 V6. I love it. 340RWHP at 13 psi with a fairly conservative tune. Some differences are the turbos are spun up by exhaust gases passing through the turbo. so it can have a slight bit of lag to get the turbo spun up from a start. But its considered "free power" because its driven by exhaust gases and not the serpentine belt. You can vary the boost levels with the spring in the wastegate or an electronic boost controller. it is the way to go for bigger power gains. the superchargers are driven by a pulley off of the engines belt with the other accessories. so its more instant power with no lag. but it does take engine hp to run it . you can adjust the boost pressure by changing the supercharger pulley size. The centri superchargers tend to build power at higher rpms than the roots style supercharger. So with a centri most people will switch the rear end gearing to bring that power down to lower rpms. Most of the V6 guys over at the mustang collective run the X-charger from explorer express.com or the powerhouse turbo kit. I hope that makes sense. there is more to it than that. but theres a brief explanation of some differences.
Old 8/31/10, 06:46 PM
GT Member

Thanks! That's the best explanation I've heard so far. What turbo did you end up using in your V6? Did you do the install or did someone do it for you? How much tuning did you do after the install?
R/S
Fritz
Old 9/2/10, 04:16 AM

i originally went with the STS turbo kit. Its a rear mount turbo kit that places the turbo in the mufflers location. I bought into this because of the lower intake temps. That was a huge mistake. no low end torque, too much lag, I also found out the 4.0 motor sounds horrible without a muffler. the sound this kit made was horrible. the GT kit sounds great but the V6 kit had this weed whacker and spooling sound combo. I took the kit apart and mounted the turbo under the hood and made new exhaust piping. Now it runs much better. I would suggest anybody interested a turbo goes the powerhouse route. www.powerhouse411.com