V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

1st performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1st performance mod

Now that im setteled in to my new apartment and have a steady cashflow, I'm looking to start adding to my mustang. Its an 05 V6. I was thinking the first thing I should probably do is a new exhaust. Would this be the best place to start? I was think somthing along the lines of the ford racing x pypes conversion. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 8/16/11, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI and tune, duals wont make as big a differnce as these will!!
Old 8/17/11, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok thanks, like how big a difference are we talking?
Old 8/17/11, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i would go with Womprat on that one, and as far as a acutal numbers on HP it would just depend on the CAI anthing from 8-12HP and then if you get a tuner then another 5-10HP (dont quote me on that thou) and if you get that first it'll make you dual exhaust sound a whole lot better and less raspy, but as far as a seat of your pants feel, your gonna feel a huge improvment as far as throttle response and accleration in the mid and hi rpms and to top it all off better MPG's just the other day i calculated my mpgs and got 20.91mpg a whole lot better then when i was running stock

Last edited by jabdesign010; 8/17/11 at 03:53 PM.
Old 8/17/11, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

What Jab said, C&L and JLT are two of the higher horsepower designs, Bamachips, now at American Muscle, Doug Studdard(sp) makes a *****-out 93 octane race tune that will make you very happy! But ultimately a good dyno shop and custom tune is best. Shop around you can find people selling theirs along with tuners(SCT) cheaper than new.
Old 8/18/11, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok cool, thanks. Yea I was looking on american muscle at the CL& Ford Racing ones with the bama tuners and they are around 5 to 600.More than I was expecting lol. They claim a gain of up to 22 rwhp which would be great. . Hopefully I can find a used one like you said.
Old 8/18/11, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

As far as the packages, whats the dif between the v6 and the gt kits? is it just fitting? There was a cl and bama tuner for 300 on craigslist but it was off of a gt.
Old 8/18/11, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Ok cool, thanks. Yea I was looking on american muscle at the CL& Ford Racing ones with the bama tuners and they are around 5 to 600.More than I was expecting lol. They claim a gain of up to 22 rwhp which would be great. . Hopefully I can find a used one like you said.
As far as the packages, whats the dif between the v6 and the gt kits? is it just fitting? There was a cl and bama tuner for 300 on craigslist but it was off of a gt.

as per the first question i have the Ford Racing CAI and i like it, now i know everyone has there own opionions some people perfer CL other FRPP but its just up to you in my opinion my car is a daily driver and i like that Ford Racing put a kinda "bucket" under the CAI and it prevents water from touching it from the ground up, cuz over here in TX when we get rain we get rain, and i've noticed that other CAI dont have a block from water splashing into it but thats just my personal opinion (MPO) and i think it runs really good another one of mpo's is that i would'nt get a CAI with metal tubing i would stick to rubber because metal absorbs and transmits heat so the tube would get the temp of you engine bay and raise the temp of the air being brought into it and rubber will not absorb heat as fast or give it off the way metal does.

and as per the second question i would not by a GT intake especially without a tuner A) the throttle body is much bigger meaning it wont go onto it unless you narrow the end of the tube B) the mounts might be different so it would be harder to put on and C) the CAI would be bigger, brining in more air, so you would run super lean without a tune messing up your engine. I would stick to a V6 CAI

Last edited by jabdesign010; 8/18/11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 8/18/11, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok thanks. Thats waht i figured about the GT CAI. Will look into some more CAIs, like the packages w/ tuners american muscle has, but would like to see if I can fins them cheaper somewhere else.
Old 8/18/11, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok thanks. Thats waht i figured about the GT CAI. Will look into some more CAIs, like the packages w/ tuners american muscle has, but would like to see if I can fins them cheaper somewhere else.
Go with the combo if you can, It's a much better deal. Also watch for sales and special forum offers. A lot of places have sales at the end of the month too, I would expect AM and others to have a Labor Day Sale.
Old 8/19/11, 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
its not just the hp gain, you get improved firmer shifts and much better throttle response.
Old 8/19/11, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Go with the combo if you can, It's a much better deal. Also watch for sales and special forum offers. A lot of places have sales at the end of the month too, I would expect AM and others to have a Labor Day Sale.
Ok. Yea thats what I am planning on doing. I'll see what kind of sales come up over the next couple months. Thanks
Old 8/19/11, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
its not just the hp gain, you get improved firmer shifts and much better throttle response.
Ok great. Yea it sounds like it will take care of a lot of the complaints I have right now.
Old 8/19/11, 01:11 PM

Now that im setteled in to my new apartment and have a steady cashflow, I'm looking to start adding to my mustang. Its an 05 V6. I was thinking the first thing I should probably do is a new exhaust. Would this be the best place to start? I was think somthing along the lines of the ford racing x pypes conversion. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Same here im starting to get some upgrades on my stang.i thing ill go with the CAI first then exhaust next.i have my eye on borla s-type or atak.
Old 8/19/11, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gabroye
Same here im starting to get some upgrades on my stang.i thing ill go with the CAI first then exhaust next.i have my eye on borla s-type or atak.

Yeah borlas sound really nice on our cars i would love to put the s-type or even touring on my car (not to much into super loud sound) but there so dam expensive. right now i got a gt takeoff on mine and i think it sounds pretty good until i can fork out the cash for borlas

Last edited by jabdesign010; 8/19/11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 8/20/11, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the C&L kit, originally had Bamachips 87, 91 and 93 octane race tune, currently have it custom dynoed for 93 octane. The Bamachips 93 race tune is sick, youll think you bought a GT, LOL! I had an H-pipe custom stainless duals with Magnaflow fufflers installed, all welded. Sounds awesome, also running JBA shorty headers.

Last edited by Womprat; 8/20/11 at 03:56 PM.
Old 8/21/11, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Womprat
I have the C&L kit, originally had Bamachips 87, 91 and 93 octane race tune, currently have it custom dynoed for 93 octane. The Bamachips 93 race tune is sick, youll think you bought a GT, LOL! I had an H-pipe custom stainless duals with Magnaflow fufflers installed, all welded. Sounds awesome, also running JBA shorty headers.

how are the JBA headers, did you install them yourself ( i like to do the work on my car) and if yes, how was it i've heard of alignment issues? and would you say they added a nice note to your car, i know they dont really add any HP
Old 8/22/11, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
Nice. Yea I'm looking at a C&L kit with the Bama tuner on AM. Yea borlas would be nice. Just considering the gt conversion right now. If I can afford it when I got to get them I may consider forking over the extra cash to do the borlas.
Old 8/22/11, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I did yes, with a helper, getting the EGR tube out was a royal pain, used a crows foot and lots of patience, and lining up the pass side header to the collector was tough, had my buddy use a pry bar to hoist it up, had them JETHOT sterling coated before the install, nice sound too!!
Old 8/26/11, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

is there any difference bewween the jlt and c&l package on AM? The only difference I could see was $80 lol

Quick Reply: 1st performance mod