V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

06 grill

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/05, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flight96, those look very nice, got any info on how ya did it?
Old 8/10/05, 06:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05V6@August 10, 2005, 8:10 PM
To me it's not "retro" at all, it's like they reached back through time and pulled some parts off of a long lost build line. The retro look of the new Mustang is lost by putting that ....."stuff" in the clean grille of the 06. Ford is starting to over design the new Mustang, they got it "right" the first time at bat. Now they seem to think they need to pull more old design cues from the past. For what? I think they are blowing it, good thing it's only an option.
I don't know what your definition of retro is but it must be different from mine

Old 8/10/05, 06:47 PM
GT Member

That is exactly my point, as I stated in my post it was as if they reached back in time and pulled the parts from a build line, no modern twist to it, no hint of redesign, the pony package grille looks "OLD" not retro. Get it? Yes it would seem, my definition of "retro"is different from yours.
Old 8/10/05, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

interesting results thus far, 19 against 6 for and 3 undecided.
Old 8/10/05, 09:44 PM
Cobra R Member

im one of the against
Old 8/10/05, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

i honestly havent voted yet!!!
Old 8/10/05, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

it looks fine and all, but i just cant see the cost being worth it when i can get the gt grill for around the same.
Old 8/11/05, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Dunno. I like it... and I don't like it. Certain things are cool. Others aren't. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the car as is. Perhaps a little later on after more folks come out with kits and such, I'll swap something out. I'm really happy with the stock look for now though.

I like the GT fogs from certain angles. Other angles... The fact that the lights are so large looks a little silly. Mostly I love the GT lights. The Pony package looks nice from certain angles too. It has its bad angles as well. While I like the nod to the old style grille, I think the horizontal bar looks a little out of place. I don't really know why. I guess it reminds me of the GT setup on the first gen's. It reminds me of more of a secretary's car setup as opposed to the muscular style of the later setups. I'm riding the fence.

For now - no changes. I'm happy. Later... might change up if I find something more appealing. I was all about the street scene kit for a while. I still may consider that in the end. It is certainly nice looking (although the chicken mesh grill still makes me uneasy). We'll see though. Either way... Those that have it have a great look that's VERY retro. The folks that go GT have that amazing BEEFY look, and the stock 6'ers have the gorgeous clean factory lines and the wide mouth (all 3 very retro).

EDIT: To fuel the RETRO debate....

retro - adj: Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past
Old 8/11/05, 12:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05V6@August 10, 2005, 8:50 PM
no modern twist to it, no hint of redesign, the pony package grille looks "OLD" not retro. Get it?
Well the 05 V6 grille looks "NEW" not modern. Get it?
Old 8/11/05, 02:53 PM

Dont forget the pony package isnt just the grill. Traction controll, Anti lock breaks, the larger wheels, the trim (Which i deleted), and some other things.

I'm nto a huge fan of the grill either, but I will give it some time and see how I get used to it. I may swap out with a GT grill if it continues to bug me.

-arkham
Old 8/11/05, 06:07 PM
GT Member

To each their own, but just to set things a little straighter than they are. The 05 Mustang took styling "cues" from many different models of long since gone Mustangs, hence the "retro " look. The new pony grille does not look "reminiscent" of the original it looks exactly like the original. Almost a reproduction copy, almost. In a pinch you could probably bolt it to an older model Mustang and observe that with the average Joe looking at it, he would not know it's a new part designed for the 06. My vote is two thumbs down, if they were looking for that look, they should have tweaked it a little. Like getting rid of that bar for one thing. For me it just doesn't fit..... enough said...by me anyway...
Old 8/12/05, 07:49 AM

I like the clean look of the 05 V6 grill: no fog lamps; no corral aroung pony. It looks meaner. My preference is also for the small honeycomb of the 05.
ATN
Old 8/12/05, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I say try to do something like paint the horizontal line and corral black, sort of the way the 2001 bullits corrals are. Would photoshop but i'm at work.
Old 8/12/05, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

I really was at ends with my decision, I just went with it. I mean I like the look and I don't like the after market GT mods at all but the Pony package combines all the things I was going to order into one package and it's a little cheaper to do it that way, I mean it also adds new front stablizer bar and a rear stablizer bar not to mention the Pony emblems & Bullit wheels. I don't like adding things that make me drill or put glue on my car so I would rather have ford but the emblems on the car. I also want to be happy with the car the day I pick it up, not say " This car would great if it only had some bullits".
Old 8/12/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangerX@August 11, 2005, 6:39 AM

I like the GT fogs from certain angles. Other angles... The fact that the lights are so large looks a little silly.
That is why I went with the smaller lights. The BIG fogs look a little out of place. Here is a better pic....
Old 8/12/05, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

If Ford built an exact copy of a 1966 Mustang with all new parts, it would be retro. It's brand new, but looks like the old one. In order to be classic, it has to actually have existed from some previous point when it was a fresh design until now. It doesn't matter if the look is exactly the same, kind of the same, or hints at what was done before. If it is brand new from the ground up (containing no vintage parts) and looks vintage in any way... it's retro.

Cant' really split hairs.

As for anyone regretting the purchase... Don't. It's a nice package, and it's worth the money. If by some strange chance, you don't like the fogs, I'm sure someone will swap. In the least, you have the souped up components and the GT wheels. I know if I was buying an 06, I would buy the Pony Package hands down, no questions asked.

Hope that makes you feel better.
Old 8/12/05, 10:37 AM
GT Member

I will agree with Flight96 on the foglight size. We have the same size lights, and I personally prefer the look to the larger GT foglights.
Old 8/12/05, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

I too like smaller fog lights but thats not to say the standard GT fogs are ugly I think they give it an agressive face, but if you don't have fogs smaller ones do look a little better, it's only the honey comb grill that I question. Why did they make it bigger? they could have left it (see pic).This is why car compaines should give dealers EVERY new addition so you can see it in person and know if you like it, not make you guess and then be un happpy with your order. Thanks StangerX
Old 8/12/05, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

I really like the Pony Package lights, spears and corral. But like Tom I can't stand the giant honeycomb grille, you can see right through to the radiator and supporting structure behind the grille. If not for that I would have gone with it, but instead I did a GT conversion.

[attachmentid=30441]
Old 8/12/05, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

PS, I didn't vote because my answer is really something like "I don't like my '05 grille, but I don't like the Pony Package grille either"

Quick Reply: 06 grill