GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Are you happy with stock exaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/05, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My original intenstions were to swap out the stock exaust with some flowmasters. But now I'm hearing about all this drone stuff with aftermarket exaust. I don't want that drone stuff. Will drive me insane. I just want a car that sounds good and better looking tips on the exhaust pipe. Are you people that kept the origianl exhaust happy with the sound? Does it rumble enough for you? Can I purchase aftermarket tips for the stock pipes (I'm assuming so)? Has anyone painted the mufflers black? Please chime in.
Old 10/22/05, 09:13 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same dilemma. I would also like to hear more exhaust tone and have better looking mufflers. I too considered Flowmasters but I can't live with the drone. I was considering Corsa mufflers also, they don't have the drone, but they are $$$ and look like RICE IMO. Ford makes accessory exhaust tips for the stock mufflers that look OK.

For now I think I'll keep the stock exhaust and add the Ford tips.

Here is a link to the Ford Exhaust Tips.

Here is a link to Corsa.
Old 10/22/05, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Also have a look at the MRT tips if you keep the stock exhaust. These are 3.5" exit dia. I put these on mine until I can decide on an axle-back system:

http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/exh%20tips.php

[attachmentid=36757]
Old 10/22/05, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

My opinion - My Story

I too wanted a louder exhaust, but not too loud.

1st - I went with SLP Power-Flow's - they were louder, but the DRONE killed me and I never could get the drivers side to sit right (angled too far down no matter what I adjusted).

2nd - Hooker Axle-backs - In there description it says the DRONE has been eliminated - NOT ! Those were worser (SP-?) than the SLP's. Although they looked "BAD A**" and had 4 inch outlets that looked great.

3rd - I'm now back to stock exhaust with some nice tips from JEG'S. P/N: 520-22209. They're 3" inlet, 3.5" outlet, 9 inch long for $20. That way, they will stick out far enough to clear my Street Scene Rear valance. I've attached another pic of 3" x 3.5" x 9" pencil tips I bought too (E?ay) $16 - Which ever of these two styles looks better, I will use.

The Future - Might put some Shorty headers on this winter. Should make it a "tad" louder, but no DRONE.

My 2 cents (and a $1000 later).

Good luck

Tom
Old 10/22/05, 10:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been thinking about the exhaust swap also but fear the drone. For now I'm sticking with the stock exhaust. I think Ford did a pretty good job on it and for stock it sounds pretty good. I do appreciate the links to the tips in this thread. Anyone seen the black chrome MRT's? I don't know if I would like them at all but I'm curious about what they look like.
Old 10/22/05, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by biznazion@October 22, 2005, 6:28 PM
I've been thinking about the exhaust swap also but fear the drone. For now I'm sticking with the stock exhaust. I think Ford did a pretty good job on it and for stock it sounds pretty good. I do appreciate the links to the tips in this thread. Anyone seen the black chrome MRT's? I don't know if I would like them at all but I'm curious about what they look like.
Don't get me wrong on the tips, I had the Ford tips on there first (Thanks Kevin) and they looked great! , but with my S/S valance installed now, they no longer have the length I was looking for. And I also sold them along with my SLP PF kit awhile back.

Tom
Old 10/22/05, 10:41 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Flowmaster Am Thunders and love them.
If there is anything at all, there is a slight drone maybe around 1800 rpms when I am in OD I believe but trust me - I am usually hypersensitive to sounds and things like that in my car and it is NOT bothersome at ALL.

Plus I drove my brother's stock GT last weekend and as much as I loved the stock sound when I got it, the different with just the flowmasters was completely obvious and I would never go back. Just a grumble - not overly loud at idle but when you have your foot in it hard, they roar....

Take a listen as the DK II pulls away from the camera.....

http://2005stang.com/gallery/displayimage....lbum=164&pos=11
Old 10/22/05, 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I had the bassani axle backs, comp cats and xpipe. I really loved the sound, but maybe a little too loud for me. on my 06 I have on order I think I may just add the axlebacks. Not sure if I want to try borla or another brand, too see the difference. But hopefully with just the axlebacks wont have the same difference in loudness compared to the whole system. Bassani did not seem to have much drone, just nice loud mustang sound.
Old 10/22/05, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Go with Flowmaster American Thunder.....Very happy the way it sounds....A bit louder then the stocks for a cheap price.JohnnyT
Old 10/22/05, 11:00 AM
GT Member

OK, this is going to sound dumb, but can someone define this "drone" you speak of?
I'm new to performance vehicles, and I've read countless threads talking about aftermarket exhaust drone, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.
I get that it is a loud, sometimes annoying sound, but isn't the loudness what you want from an aftermarket exhaust system?
Old 10/22/05, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts on the drone issue is if you don't have the rpm's in sweet spot you will have some drone. I have a 5-speed manual and the Borla axle back mufflers. I love them and when I first got my car I thought I would never change out the stock exhaust because they sounded good. Now the car is more fun to drive and I am rarely in the dreaded drone zone rpm range. Basically you will have drone if you are lugging the engine. If you are in 5th gear and at 1600 to 1800 rpm's, you will have drone!
Old 10/22/05, 05:17 PM
GT Member

....crap people. Just pull off the exhaust for a day. It's just a few bolts and the hangers. Pull the suckers off and drive around and you will get an idea of what to expect. If you can't handle the sound of a hot rod, then put your mufflers back on so you don't hurt your little ears. I have 3 show cars all with crazy loud exhaust. It's just the fun things in life. Live a little!

p.s... you will need to reset your computer after you pull your muffs off to gain back 100% of the power. Currently, I have no mufflers on my 05 and got 4" tips welded on, with clamps, so I can swap back t omy stock mufflers when I want.
Old 10/22/05, 05:18 PM
GT Member

Old 10/22/05, 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

This may sound strange to some of you but I rather hear my intake than the exhaust.
Old 10/22/05, 09:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had the IMCO axle back and Bassani X-Pipe with comp cats at the same time... way to loud and maybe the worst interior drone. I now run the x-pipe with stock mufflers painted black. Sounds and looks better than stock. Problem solved for me and NO more drone.
Old 10/22/05, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Im a current V6 owner and Im putting GT takeoffs on mine.

On my 88GT I had flowmasters, they were ok at part throttlr, but when I opened it up, waaay to loud. I will never go with Flowmasters again, every cop for blocks around could here my car, I dont want that kind of attention.
Old 10/22/05, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by srichard@October 23, 2005, 5:38 AM
I had the IMCO axle back and Bassani X-Pipe with comp cats at the same time... way to loud and maybe the worst interior drone. I now run the x-pipe with stock mufflers painted black. Sounds and looks better than stock. Problem solved for me and NO more drone.
Scott,

So if you run the Bassani X-pipe with everything else stock, you get slightly louder overall exhaust sound and no drone?

The wife and I both hate the drone and we use the car as a daily driver. Our daily trips are constantly in the "Drone RPM range", BUT we both love the louder exhaust.

Will the X-pipe gives us louder, but no drone? How much louder? We're in a tight neighborhood and have to worry about "neighbor relations" in the mornings, during warm-ups, etc.

Tom
Old 10/23/05, 01:44 AM
Cobra Member

I have no such heavy exhaust drone with my SLP Loudmouths at the supposed 2100 rpm. I drive on the freeway now doing 70 @ about 2600rpm with my 410 gears and I love the hum of the engine through the exhaust.

I guess this so-called drone is the sound of the engine "coming though" at a given rpm to create a vibrating bass type sound from out back. I never noticed it with my muffler deletes when so many others complained. Im lucky I guess.

-Dan
Old 10/23/05, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

I've got the SLP Loudmouths too and I have no problem with them. I like my car a little louder though. My wifes truck is still louder than mine..... :notnice: I have glass packs on her's. When your just cruisin' around they aren't that loud, when you get on it, you know your in it! That's the way I like it!
Old 10/23/05, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Dude, the car cries out for some aftermarket pump. I am totally happy with my flowmasters, the only drone is when I am in 5th gear under 55 mph.

I just downshift it to 4th and move up to 65 and then go back into 5th (it the O/D anyway).

go atleast flowmasters.... you won't be sorry

Quick Reply: Are you happy with stock exaust?