GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

YATBST - Yet another Throttle Body Spacer Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/06, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the consensus around here is that TB spacers aren't worth it, but I came upon this paragraph in my
"How to Build Max-Performance 4.6-Liter Ford Engines" book by the man himself (Sean Hyland)...on page 44, Section "Intake Manifolds"

There have also been a couple of companies who have produced a 1-inch spacer, which is placed between the throttle body elbow and the intake manifold, much like a carb spacer in the old days. There is a power improvement of 4-5 hp to be found with a spacer, likely as a byproduct of increasing the plenum size, which is too small to be ideal.

Just though I'd share that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 10:59 AM
FR500 Member

Good info, Tony. But the consesus I thought was that the TB spacers were definitely worth it. Although the testing on the Jet TBS got only one HP, it got 10 more pounds of torque and helped with the throttle response. For a hundred bucks installed, that's a pretty good deal. Great to know though that there may be a little more power than just the 1HP that we originally thought from that one member's dyno testing.
Old 3/3/06, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh...maybe I got my consenus mixed up from a similar thread on the V6 forum. I've been tempted to try a TB spacer myself.
Old 3/3/06, 02:35 PM
FR500 Member

For a hundred dollars, you'll definitely get what you pay for. The 1HP that one member here tested could have been a bad example. It's always tough dyno'ing something that's just going to get a few HP because it you could have a really good run before the install, and for some reason or another the second run (after the install) the car isn't running just right. Even if it only gets 1HP, it still gets at least 10 ft. lbs. of rear wheel torque. I definitely felt a little of that after I installed mine. Plus, it does helps a little with throttle response. Definitely worth the money. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 3/3/06, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

My spacer was the best $100 I've spent on the car. I don't need a dyno to tell me anything, it's that much of a difference.
Old 3/3/06, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racerx @ March 3, 2006, 12:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know the consensus around here is that TB spacers aren't worth it, but I came upon this paragraph in my
"How to Build Max-Performance 4.6-Liter Ford Engines" book by the man himself (Sean Hyland)...on page 44, Section "Intake Manifolds"

There have also been a couple of companies who have produced a 1-inch spacer, which is placed between the throttle body elbow and the intake manifold, much like a carb spacer in the old days. There is a power improvement of 4-5 hp to be found with a spacer, likely as a byproduct of increasing the plenum size, which is too small to be ideal.
Just though I'd share that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Please note that the gain is on a pre-'05 (check the copyright date) and it is atributed to increasing the plenum size, which is legitament on the pre-'05's. Checkout this thread for an unbiased test of the JTB.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...hl=Can+you+tell

The Boss Hog
Old 3/3/06, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And since when did Sean Hyland become "the man himself"? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 3, 2006, 7:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And since when did Sean Hyland become "the man himself"? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

You missed the memo?

The Boss Hog . . . . . . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the TBS in my car over the summer, if there was a gain it was very very minuscule. I bought it used from outdoorstom, and he notice no gain at all
Old 3/3/06, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ March 3, 2006, 6:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Please note that the gain is on a pre-'05 (check the copyright date) and it is atributed to increasing the plenum size, which is legitament on the pre-'05's. Checkout this thread for an unbiased test of the JTB.

The Boss Hog
[/b][/quote]

Yes, the book does pre-date the 3V, I'm hoping 'the man' eventually comes out with a new edition that covers it and the 5.4 in the Shelby. I didn't realize that the pre-05's had that problem.

That's a good thread on the JET TB spacer...how did I miss that one? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Thanks for digging it up Boss Hog
Old 3/3/06, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ March 3, 2006, 4:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You missed the memo?
The Boss Hog . . . . . . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Guess so...

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ March 3, 2006, 6:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

The Boss Hog
[/b][/quote]

So are you saying that the TBS is useless on 05 and newer? Just want to understand!
Old 3/4/06, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davids2toys @ March 4, 2006, 10:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So are you saying that the TBS is useless on 05 and newer? Just want to understand!
[/b][/quote]

No, I am not saying that. I did two things in my post: 1.) I clarified that the Sean Hyland statement that racerx quoted was in reference to pre-'05 4.6s and 2.) I posted a link to what IMO is a fair evaluation of the Jet TBS.

Each member will have to look at all the facts and opinions and make up their own mind. For me, I have decided that I will not be installing a Jet TBS (or any other TBS) on my '05 Mustang.

The Boss Hog