GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

xcal2 and xtremetune software "cannot unlock..."

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else ever get this message when trying to drop a new tune on their xcal? with my xcal2 it happens no matter what...xtremetune, liveload, advantage2.9 and 3.0.

getting fed up w/ this POS b/c it was supposed to have end-user adjustment so like when you get 4.10's installed (like i did) you can recalibrate the speedo. well 500 miles later (maybe 300 actual mi's) i'm still having trouble getting a modified tune onto my tuner to fix this and i've driven all over heck and back in the process.

i'm going out again tomorrow to dallas mustang for one more try. they're going to un-vin-lock my tuner by setting it back to stock and should supposively be able to format the unit and load the tunes i need on it.

my hopes are low though b/c tonight i flashed back to stock to "un-vin-lock" then tried xtremetune and liveload to no avail. doubt 3.0 will do it either and then i'll have another wasted trip to BFEast dallas under my belt - YAY!!!

any input?
Old 1/26/06, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Shoot me an email and I'll be glad to help you through it in anyway I can.

Why are you unlocking the unit each time though? As long as you are using it on the same car there's no need to unlock the unit eachtime you goto reprogram it. Actualy you can only unlock a X-2 4or 5 times before it has to be sent into SCT to be unlocked and reset.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 1/27/06, 08:49 AM

thanks Doug! the actual message that pops up in any of the mentioned software is "Error - Cannot Unlock Xcalibrator for download". It has given that error since the very first time I tried putting a new tune on it - so I don't think it has ever actually been "unlocked".

So far I've had 2 different shops (1 w/ Adv2.9 post-vin-unlock and 1 w/ Adv3.0 pre-vin-unlock) try to get into the unit to drop this modified tune on it but to no avail. I personally have tried 2 different PC's, xtremetune and liveload, both pre and post vin-unlock also to no avail. In the back of my mind I'm thinking the tuner itself is bad although it uploads/downloads to the car just fine - SCT also hasn't discounted this possibility. I'm leary about shipping the unit back to SCT for RMA b/c i'm trying to get this fixed more quickly by fiddle-f-ing locally. in hindsight i wish i would have just sent it off from day 1. :/

my hope in posting this was that based on my description of the issue someone out there would remember having been through the same thing. the kicker is that while Mike and Andy over @ SCT have gone out of their way to assist me with this, they still don't have a definite answer as to why I'm having this issue.

anywho, thanks again for the response and the offer to help. i'm making another trip to DM this afternoon to see if they can get the tune onto it after having returned my car to stock and in effect vin-unlocking the tuner.

cheers
Old 1/27/06, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

i loaded a new tune yesterday and it gave me an error once, but i tried it again and it worked, i forget th error though