GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Xcal2 Error, Need Immediate Help

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/06, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal2 Error, Need Immediate Help

Hey guys,

Ok I have a quick question. I received my JLT II and Xcal2 from Doug at Bamachips this evening and got straight to the install. I installed the intake fine, its snug and everything is connected properly. I unpackage the Xcal2 and I plug it into the ODB-II port, it powers up, wonderful. I try to load one of the tunes (93 Torque to be exact), and it asks me to to "Turn Key to ON, Dont Start", so I do just that... it flashes, and tells me "Powerup Msg time out".

I keep trying and it gives me the same thing, basically not recognizing me turning my key to on. I try to pull DTC data, get strategy, whatever, and I always an error saying it cannot retrieve data. Basically my Xcal2 is not communicating with my car properly. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Anyone have any suggestions?

I emailed Doug a couple hours ago but no response. I'm afraid to actually fire up my ignition because in the Xcal directions, stated in huge bold letters to NOT start the car until it is tuned. I need my car in the morning, and its already night time now. Worst case scenario Im gonna have to install my stock one in the morning before work in ahurry just so I can get there, but if any of you guys have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate trying to get out there and get it working before I sleep. Thanks all.

-Anthony
Old 5/25/06, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Ignition has four positions. OFF>>ACC>>ON/RUN>>Start. After you insert the key, make sure you go two clicks forward, not one. It sounds like you might be turning the key to the ACC position (at which point your radio, etc will work) but not to the ON/RUN position, which is where you want to be. Easiest way to tell you're in the ON position is to turn the key forward until your gauges spike and the dash lights (Airbag, ABS, etc) to go through their startup routine (blinking and chiming, you know the drill). You'll also hear your fuel system pre-load.

That should do it.
Old 5/25/06, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I am, the click right before you start the engine. Thats not it. Its just not responding to my car right now, aside from plugging it into the port
Old 5/25/06, 08:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Do you not have to download the tune from the car first?
Old 5/25/06, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm. Don't know what to make of it then. Not that you haven't done this, but make sure the connection b/w the port and the tuner is snug. If it still does't work, you might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. After you reconnect, plug in the xcal with the key at off, then try the whole routine again from the top. Hopefully the tuner wasn't damaged during shipping.

If it never interfaced with your car though, the factory tune is still in the PCM, so just bolt your stock airbox back in and deal with it tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 5/25/06, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Purple Hayz
Hmmm. Don't know what to make of it then. Not that you haven't done this, but make sure the connection b/w the port and the tuner is snug. If it still does't work, you might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. After you reconnect, plug in the xcal with the key at off, then try the whole routine again from the top. Hopefully the tuner wasn't damaged during shipping.

If it never interfaced with your car though, the factory tune is still in the PCM, so just bolt your stock airbox back in and deal with it tomorrow. Good luck.
I'll give it a shot, how long should I leave the negative terminal unplugged?
Someone on the SCT forums said to make sure the fuse is not blown or else it wont communicate... any idea which fuse he was referring to? I trust you guys here more than anywhere else.
Old 5/25/06, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

10 minutes should do it. No idea what fuse he was referring to, but on older models I know SCT asks you to pull the fan and fuel pump fuses. Still I don't see how a blown fuse (assumming you even have one) would prevent the interface from working...
Old 5/26/06, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I removed the negative terminal for a couple mins, and placed it back, tuner is still not reading responses from the car other than plugging into it. Im hoping its the tuner and not my ODB-II port. I dont know what else to do now beside put the stock intake back on

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, with the Xcal 2 plugged in, the car will read (in the instrument cluster) "DTE ODO ERR" or something, and then it will say stuff like "CHeck Charging System" "Check Fuel Cap" "Fuel Level Low". Is this normal? Maybe it IS my car?
Old 5/26/06, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

HOLY S--- DOUG IS THE MAN!
I got a response email from him this morning, apologizing for the inconvenience, saying im the 3rd customer this week thats had this problem, and that he already sent me a new Xcal2 OVERNIGHTED, and asked me to send the old one back with how much it cost to ship and he'd refund me the money...
Wow,
just wow. I'm already a satisfied customer and I havent even used my CAI and Tuner yet, lol.
Old 5/26/06, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I havent gotten a CAI yet but I now KNOW I will be ordering from Doug. I have NEVER read anything negative about him, his tunes or his customer service. Doug, I just want you to know you just gained another customer when I get the money.
Old 5/26/06, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear it, man. I am waiting on Doug's tune as well, and can't wait to load it up. As for the errors in your IC, I get them whenever I flash as well (freaked me out the first time). Let us know how it turns out.
Old 5/26/06, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

yea why does it always say "fuel level low" even when its not?
-mike
Old 5/26/06, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

If your getting a "Powerup Msg time out" on your xcal, its a bad xcal2, i had to troubleshoot with a member who just bought a JLT/tuner combo with doug, got the same error, doug said it was a bad tuner. call him up tell him what you have and he will send you out another tuner overnight.
Old 5/26/06, 01:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
If your getting a "Powerup Msg time out" on your xcal, its a bad xcal2, i had to troubleshoot with a member who just bought a JLT/tuner combo with doug, got the same error, doug said it was a bad tuner. call him up tell him what you have and he will send you out another tuner overnight.
Hey guys,

Yes, it's a fault with the X-2, I think in the cable or something. Either way if you have ANY problem with it then just let me know and I'll overnight you a new X-2. This is the 3rd one from my recent order of X-2's.

I normally order 15 on monday and 15 on friday if there's enough business and this way I don't get 50 that I dont know anything about if there's a problem. This came out of last friday's batch so I'm now working on this Mondays and they have all been good so far.

Also, Maverick, I think the guy you helped name was Sean, if so then please ask him to call me, I can't find anything about his order from his address to his car info.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 5/26/06, 01:37 PM
GT Member

I was already pretty sure I wanted to go with Doug... now I'm even more sure. We'll see after this next paycheck
Old 5/26/06, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys,

Yes, it's a fault with the X-2, I think in the cable or something. Either way if you have ANY problem with it then just let me know and I'll overnight you a new X-2. This is the 3rd one from my recent order of X-2's.

I normally order 15 on monday and 15 on friday if there's enough business and this way I don't get 50 that I dont know anything about if there's a problem. This came out of last friday's batch so I'm now working on this Mondays and they have all been good so far.

Also, Maverick, I think the guy you helped name was Sean, if so then please ask him to call me, I can't find anything about his order from his address to his car info.

Thanks, Doug.
Na Doug unfortionately its not Sean. it was Mike from NJ. He called you on Wednesday.
Old 5/26/06, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude, trust me, if Doug sold toilet paper at this point, I would buy in bulk, and it could be a roll of leaves and I would be convinced it was the greatest toilet paper man ever made... customer service speaks volumes.
Old 5/27/06, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE:
WOOOHOOO IT WORKED. It was the tuner itself. As soon as I got the new one, I plugged it in and went to tune, turned the car to on and it recognized it immediately. Uploaded the 93 torque tune and fired it up. Let it idle for a while while I cleaned up my tools and shut it off.. works wonderfully.

Took it for a spin this afternoon and HOLY CRAP. When you tap the pedal now, the car MOVES. The climb from 1500-4000 is neck snapping now and there appears to be little to absolutely no throttle delay. Im almost in awe, I love this car, thanks once again Doug and everyone for your help. Gotta go spin the tires some more..
Old 5/27/06, 04:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, based upon what I have read about Bamachips here on this forum, I am sold. It's time to use up another "future mod" in my sig!

I'm going to pull the trigger on the C&L Trueflow CAI and X2 combo from Doug.

http://bamachips.com/store/index.php...products_id=21

It asks which three tunes do I want? I am confused. There is a tune for 87, 89, and 91 (highest octane in my area), but are there variations for each tune?

What do you folks recommend? I'm looking for a happy medium between ridiculous California gas prices and performance.
Old 5/27/06, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

I ordered my JLT pkg from Doug on th 23. I fell like a little kid 2 days before X-mas.
I can't wait for it to get here. I keep checking ny e-mail to make sure nothing is wrong and all is OK.
Doug gets so much respect here it is almost like an infomercial.

Reminisce glad every thing got worked out 4 ya.

Mike

Quick Reply: Xcal2 Error, Need Immediate Help