GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

X-Pipe Owners

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MAK off-road x and tighten everything up very snug yesterday, but still hear rattling coming from under my shifter. I was wondering if this is common with aftermarket mid-pipes? My MAK was slightly off a bit on the right manifold flange, so maybe that is causing a problem??
Old 7/7/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bassani X-pipe and no rattle. Make sure the clamps are real tight.
Old 7/7/05, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by ILikeBond@July 7, 2005, 8:48 AM
Bassani X-pipe and no rattle. Make sure the clamps are real tight.

Give ***** a call at MAK. I had the same problem, and he is very helful. If you have access to a lift, it is easier, but what you have to do is bend the hanger so the pipe is away from the frame/frame bolts. As far as I can tell, mine is rattle free now, but i may need to bend a little more in the future. I had to bend them on both sides, he said something about the fact that they changed the model slightly in production. Hope this helps.
Old 7/7/05, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@July 7, 2005, 11:35 AM
Give ***** a call at MAK. I had the same problem, and he is very helful. If you have access to a lift, it is easier, but what you have to do is bend the hanger so the pipe is away from the frame/frame bolts. As far as I can tell, mine is rattle free now, but i may need to bend a little more in the future. I had to bend them on both sides, he said something about the fact that they changed the model slightly in production. Hope this helps.
Hmm....I bent my hangars because I thought that was the problem at first. Then I had a leak, which I tightened yesterday REALLY snug. Now the thing is rattling again. I might just put the car up on the lift next week and sit in it and rev the engine a little while my friend is under the car. Maybe then I can isolate the rattling noise.
Old 7/7/05, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by max2000jp@July 7, 2005, 9:41 AM
Hmm....I bent my hangars because I thought that was the problem at first. Then I had a leak, which I tightened yesterday REALLY snug. Now the thing is rattling again. I might just put the car up on the lift next week and sit in it and rev the engine a little while my friend is under the car. Maybe then I can isolate the rattling noise.

What happened to me, is I had a huge rattle, then I bent the hangers, rattle went away. I then re-tightened the pipe, because I found out it was a little loose. When I tightened it, the pipe kind of moved back into place, and the rattle came back. So then I used a lift, and bent and tightened it so it was totally away, we are talking like 1/2"+ away. I check my bolts, everything is still tight, and I do not seems to have a rattle...I hope forever.
Old 7/7/05, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@July 7, 2005, 12:22 PM
What happened to me, is I had a huge rattle, then I bent the hangers, rattle went away. I then re-tightened the pipe, because I found out it was a little loose. When I tightened it, the pipe kind of moved back into place, and the rattle came back. So then I used a lift, and bent and tightened it so it was totally away, we are talking like 1/2"+ away. I check my bolts, everything is still tight, and I do not seems to have a rattle...I hope forever.
Will try that next time I can get my car up on the lift. I simply don't have enough room and leverage to bend that hangar from the ground. I am also going to call Willie and get his opinion. Thanks!
Old 7/7/05, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by max2000jp@July 7, 2005, 9:18 AM
I have a MAK off-road x and tighten everything up very snug yesterday, but still hear rattling coming from under my shifter. I was wondering if this is common with aftermarket mid-pipes? My MAK was slightly off a bit on the right manifold flange, so maybe that is causing a problem??
Jay,I got rid of the rattles but I am getting exhaust fumes In the car everytime i come to a stop or back up.I thought I might have a leek but I have checked it over and over and cant find a leak.I am wondering if it is just comming from the back of the car.Car is realy loud and the smell of the exhuast is starting to anoy me.
Old 7/7/05, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by mikem@July 7, 2005, 10:49 AM
Jay,I got rid of the rattles but I am getting exhaust fumes In the car everytime i come to a stop or back up.I thought I might have a leek but I have checked it over and over and cant find a leak.I am wondering if it is just comming from the back of the car.Car is realy loud and the smell of the exhuast is starting to anoy me.
Mike,

I have so same problem also, at first i thought it was a leak, but now i know that it is not. I guess it is just coming from the back. Since we eliminated the cats, I wonder if this is the cause? I cannot smell it with the windows up and the ac on, or anything like that, but I can smell it when I am at a drive through or something like that withe my windows down going slow.
Old 7/7/05, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@July 7, 2005, 12:16 PM
Mike,

I have so same problem also, at first i thought it was a leak, but now i know that it is not. I guess it is just coming from the back. Since we eliminated the cats, I wonder if this is the cause? I cannot smell it with the windows up and the ac on, or anything like that, but I can smell it when I am at a drive through or something like that withe my windows down going slow.
I hear ya.Same here, it gives me a headache.With the windows down It is real bad.I wonder if the car is running real rich at idle with no cats.So glad to here you have the same problem.We have to figure out how to stop this.Old muscle cars would kinda do the same but The rear gasses would not enter into the car through the windows.
Old 7/7/05, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by mikem@July 7, 2005, 11:28 AM
I hear ya.Same here, it gives me a headache.With the windows down It is real bad.I wonder if the car is running real rich at idle with no cats.So glad to here you have the same problem.We have to figure out how to stop this.Old muscle cars would kinda do the same but The rear gasses would not enter into the car through the windows.

I was kind of wondering about running really rich at idle myself. I want to have a custom tune done, maybe this could be fixed? Also, my car revs really high when I first start up in the morning, and sits there for like a minute at 1500rpm or so, then eventually goes down. This did not happen before the xpipe, maybe someone can tell me if this can be fixed by a custom tune also? It only happens when the car is cold, not everytime it starts.
Old 7/7/05, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@July 7, 2005, 12:41 PM
I was kind of wondering about running really rich at idle myself. I want to have a custom tune done, maybe this could be fixed? Also, my car revs really high when I first start up in the morning, and sits there for like a minute at 1500rpm or so, then eventually goes down. This did not happen before the xpipe, maybe someone can tell me if this can be fixed by a custom tune also? It only happens when the car is cold, not everytime it starts.
Thats normal. My car even does that in Cali...it sticks to about 1200 (maybe its higher) for a while then calms down...you dont have any problems .
Old 7/7/05, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 7, 2005, 11:43 AM
Thats normal. My car even does that in Cali...it sticks to about 1200 (maybe its higher) for a while then calms down...you dont have any problems .

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was normal, but it did not do it this much before the xpipe. Before, it would stay at around 1100-1200 max, not it is about 1500-1700 max. Thats a big jump. I guess I won't worry about it that much, not as much as the excessive exhaust fumes....
Old 7/7/05, 12:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by mikem@July 7, 2005, 12:49 PM
I had an idea from checking gas leaks in pipes. When the car is cold, can't you spray a solution of water and soap on all the joints to identify a leak. If there is a leak it will bubble up and be visible, problem solved. Gotta do it quick though or it will boil off.

My car smells as well, but that's normal. It smells like my friend 69' Mach I.
Old 7/7/05, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I am now hearing a rattle, but only when turning at acceleration.
Old 7/7/05, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 38special@July 7, 2005, 8:00 PM
I am now hearing a rattle, but only when turning at acceleration.
So maybe this is a normal occurance? I got used to peace and quiet last week when I was driving my dads 545i while my GT was in the shop.
Old 7/11/05, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

max2000jp

No, my passenger side pipe is resting on an underchassis support near the panhard bar.

I will have to heatshield/cushion this to solve the issue. I do not want to install a new hanger support here.