GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

X-Pipe with GTA's

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/09, 06:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Pipe with GTA's

Just wondering if anyone on here runs an Off-Road X pipe with the Ford GTA mufflers. I am wanting to remove my Cats and put on an off-road X or an H. I know with chambered mufflers you should run an H but I have allways been partial to the way X-pipes sound. I have searched the net and can't find any clips with stock manifolds, off-road X, and GTA's. I would also like to know if you do have this setup does the vehicle drone inside while driving. Thanks.
Old 1/5/09, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have never run the setup you are asking about but I did run an offroad H-pipe with the GTA mufflers for about 6 months. It is very loud and very, very raspy sounding. It will only get worse with an X-pipe. Than I went to OBX longtubes with the GTA's and in got terribly raspy. I went back to a chambered muffler (Magnaflows) and it is perfect now!
Scott
Old 1/6/09, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

I do not have a vid, and the stang is hibernating at the moment.. but I have stock manifolds, offroad X, and GTA's. I like the sound, except it DOES trumpet. I will be looking to add resonators come spring.
Old 1/6/09, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
I do not have a vid, and the stang is hibernating at the moment.. but I have stock manifolds, offroad X, and GTA's. I like the sound, except it DOES trumpet. I will be looking to add resonators come spring.
Does it drone at all. Thanks.
Old 1/6/09, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JOEGTS
Does it drone at all. Thanks.
It hums on the highway, but then again I've been in some cars that drone a LOT. It is decently loud at highway speeds, but then again I'm also running 4.10 rear gears, and get a decent amount of roadnoise from the 255/295 Falken's. Only time I've ever really noticed was on 2hour+ trips. It is more just constant noise, not a funky sound to your ears or a vibration in the cabin.
Old 1/7/09, 09:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stock headers, bassani xpipe and gta's. I love it. Nice and loud, no drone.
Old 1/7/09, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

Ordering the Off-Road X-pipe from UPR today!
Old 1/8/09, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
It hums on the highway, but then again I've been in some cars that drone a LOT. It is decently loud at highway speeds, but then again I'm also running 4.10 rear gears, and get a decent amount of roadnoise from the 255/295 Falken's. Only time I've ever really noticed was on 2hour+ trips. It is more just constant noise, not a funky sound to your ears or a vibration in the cabin.

I agree with this. All mufflers drone. The only question is whether or not the drone is loud. The GTA drone is barely louder than road noise. Most would say they don't drone at all. But I notice it because I absolutely hate drone.

And here is my vid with stock manifolds, bassani catted-X, and GTA's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSZ-Y1SBK0c

I am satisfied with the GTAs. It would be nice to have something deeper. But deeper = drone in every muffler I've ever seen.

I'm putting on headers this weekend and if that doesn't sound good enough, I might continue playing with mufflers. Stuff I'd experiment if I could find used:

Bassani Street (not race) - expect some drone, but I'm curious as to how much
Boomtubes - sound deep and allegedly do not drone, I'd have to see to believe
Hooker - sounds great, but boomtube comments apply here too
Old 1/9/09, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with shane. I have had 4 sets of axlebacks. I've yet to have really deep sounding mufflers that don't drone. The bassani axlebacks had the best tone but since I drive on the highway every day the drone just got annoying. With enough flow I'd bet even the GTA's would drone a little but with my setup it's perfect for me. I hear Corsas drone hardly all but they are expensive.