GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Worst day ever

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/06, 12:39 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 7, 2006, 6:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
dropped my car off yesterday morning at K&C Performance in Londonderry, NH to do my gears. I brought it there becuz I read on another forum they were good and only charged 200, sweet. I drop it off yesterday morning with the FRPP gears, lube, the $45 FRPP install kit, friction modifier and silicone. They told me $200, 300 tops. The owner had a drag race car in there that was his, I feel comfortable that this guy knows what he's doing.

I get a call later yesterday saying I didn't give them the pinion bearing and they would need to order it and might not get it done today now, blah blah blah. Fine. I get a ride to work again today, as of 2pm, no call from them. I give em a call, they say to call back in an hour. I call back in a hour, he says he's got it all back together and he'll call in an hour after he finishes up. He calls at 4:30, it's done blah blah blah, come get it. Then he's like oh I'm going to have to charge you extra because your rear end was a pain to take apart because it "has been beat on" (which I find strange because I had my ring and pinion done under warranty 1000 miles ago, where they did the same job). He says an extra $200 because it took him longer and the carrier bearing kit was $119, so $519 total. I can't female dog about it because there's nothing I can do. He's just going to keep my car until I pay it and I've already bummed rides for 2 days. I see the receipt, the $119 charge was for "OEM/PINION&CARRIER BEARINGS + RACERS".

I go pick the car up check engine light is on, something about cylinder head temperature and exhaust temperature sensor voltage I think, I was in a fury because of the ordeal so I cleared em. We'll see if those come back. I have a water temp gauge and it didn't go above 180, nor did it go off again on the way home.

It gets better, I figure after I paid $800 to do my gears (christ I can't believe I paid that much), I get a slight howl when the car is cruising out of gear. I'm figuring this is normal with 4.10s. We'll see what Mike says when I drive him around in it to get his impression.

Lessons learned, get a package deal from a speed shop on the whole thing and make them order the parts. that way they can be held accountable.
It gets worse, on my way home I get a call from my parents saying the garage was broken into. I get there and the top two sections of my dad's craftsman tool chest is gone (prolly had 1500 in tools in it), new chainsaw, air compressor tools I got him for x-mas, power drills. I'm lucky that they didn't take my Craftsman tool chest I just got for X-mas, it was right next to all the crap that was taken. I did have a plastic tool box on top of my chest that had my factory mustang shifter in it and new $170 Fluke multimeter along with my other electrical tools.

I hate people.
[/b][/quote]

I just got my TLOK put in, and they replaced the carrier bearings free of charge.. They replaced mine to be on the safe side.. I have no whining or anything in my car.. Sounds like they ripped you off!! Also, its always better to take your car to a shop which specializes on Mustangs only.. This way, they have done the same job over a million times.. My install only took 1.5Hrs.. They had to go pickup the carrier bearings from a supplier.. That took 45minutes.. They didnt even charge me for the carrier bearings.. It was free..

They said thank you for your business, and please come again..

If we Mustang guys dont let Mustang Mechanics work on our cars, it is more than likey we will get raped..

I also think they took your car out and beat on it to test the gears.. Sorry for your bad experience man!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Rear-A...044829123QQrdZ1

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchan...ory_Code=46REAR

This complete kit cost $110 for all of this.. They charged you $119 for just the carrier bearings!! Where is my shotgun!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 12:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 8, 2006, 10:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The one next to the oil filter? Mine stuck out like that until I relocated the sensor for a autometer gauge
[/b][/quote]

I dont remeber if it the filter was right next to it. Its on the side of the oil pan. around the middle some where.
It had oil around the threads of it. I will put the car on the hoist agian to check it out. I told my teacher yesterday and he told me he will check it out today.
Old 3/8/06, 08:19 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DjSaL @ March 8, 2006, 2:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I dont remeber if it the filter was right next to it. Its on the side of the oil pan. around the middle some where.
It had oil around the threads of it. I will put the car on the hoist agian to check it out. I told my teacher yesterday and he told me he will check it out today.
[/b][/quote]

The sensor on the oil pan isn't oil pressure, it's the oil temperature sensor. Tighten it to 11 lb-ft
Old 3/8/06, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Dustin
it is a good thing that you keep your parts at work. otherwise they may have taken them too.
Old 3/8/06, 08:36 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Sorry to hear man! I hope everything works out for you! Thanks for letting us know who the scam artest was!
Old 3/8/06, 10:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 8, 2006, 7:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The sensor on the oil pan isn't oil pressure, it's the oil temperature sensor. Tighten it to 11 lb-ft
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Dustin! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Just what I needed.
Old 3/8/06, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

OUTSTANDING!!!

If these little pittying annoyances are the worst day ever in your world. You lead a charmed life.

I had a friend (2 weeks ago) just up and die at age 34. Basically healthy guy, taught Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, had 2 kids....

Another friend of mine just (about a month ago) had his 6 year old son diagnosed with Autism.

I once had an ex girlfriend steal my ULTRA SHARP 65 Mustang Convertible while I was in Japan for fights. Then she got into my desk, and forged my signature on my pink slip. It was almost 3 months of promises to make it right and such before I contacted an attorney. Within one day of visiting an Attorney she totaled the car.

I also stood up a girl for a date one time just 3 days before she won like $17,000,000.00 in the lottery.

My Dad died when I was 8.

Ron Brown decided to "date" OJ Simpson's EX "You know how that worked out for him"

Some people have sex with 500 lbs women or worse 500 lbs men!

Chuck Liddel (UFC CHAMPION) used to work as a bouncer in night clubs in San Luis Obispo.... Occasionally Loud Mouth Drunk People pissed him off a lot. Chuck would hit them repeatedly.....and hard!

AS FAR AS WORST DAYS EVER, Yours doesn't suck too much.

But, on the other hand, it sounded like a moderately crappy day.
Old 3/9/06, 01:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Dustin you sure have your problems. Seems like they follow you around like a dark cloud. Why did they not use your old bearing? Did they not have a press? For a year or so you have been reading. Get the repair cost in writing and I do not know why you did not.

Go look for the stuff the low life stole at the pawn shop. I have photos of all my tool boxes and tools for an insurance claim if needed. I should make a list and file it a safe place like I have done with my other valuables.

Hopefully things will start looking up for you this summer and you will have some race wins if you stay away from George and a few others When do you plan to install the line locks? Are you going to purchase Paul's setup that is easy or go cheaper with another one and end up spending more $$ before its over? I have decided to purchase from him solely because he sells it complete with all the parts. I plan to mount the switch to work the relay on the steering wheel with a coiled cord from a radar unit as I plan to use a relay and that will be the ground wire. Dustin where can I purchase waterproof relays That don't cost me an arm and a leg like Ford parts do.
Old 3/9/06, 04:03 AM

Dustin,I did not understand why you just didnt use my Guy for the Gears.He is a ford mechanic at a local ford dealership and performs side work out of his brand new awesome Garage at his house for reasonable charge.I did not need a pinion bearing.You needed one because they did not have the right tool to remove yours from the pinion.So they damaged it when they removed it forcefully.
Sorry to hear about the brake in.
I have the conections from Ford.Parts manager lives across the street from me so anything I need from Ford I call him and he brings it home with him.
And the other guy is also local here in pelham with a beatifull big Garage at his house.He has been a Ford Master technission for over 10 years.
Old 3/9/06, 05:14 AM

Yeah Mike, you told me so. I went with this guy because he:

a) had the same advertised price
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] I heard he was really good
c) the shop is right next to my co-worker's house so it was real easy to get rides back and forth.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it.
Old 3/9/06, 05:38 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ March 9, 2006, 3:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When do you plan to install the line locks? Are you going to purchase Paul's setup that is easy or go cheaper with another one and end up spending more $$ before its over? I have decided to purchase from him solely because he sells it complete with all the parts. I plan to mount the switch to work the relay on the steering wheel with a coiled cord from a radar unit as I plan to use a relay and that will be the ground wire. Dustin where can I purchase waterproof relays That don't cost me an arm and a leg like Ford parts do.
[/b][/quote]

I'm going to do my line locks as soon as mikem is ready. Screw Paul's setup. Paul just sells you components, you still need to bend and flare the tubes. You can buy the same Sam Biondo solenoids at Summit ($40 each). If you want a button and stuff you can just buy the Sam Biondo wiring kit ($20), I'm doing the wiring custom. Buy 4 sets of 3/16" inverted flare nuts and 1/8"NPT to 3/16 inverted flare nut reducers ($15), along with a 60" section of 3/16" brake line ($5) at Autozone. Besides if you buy from Autozone you can borrow their tubing cutter and double flare kit with a tool rental. Paul sells this kit for $300 and you can just buy the components yourself for $120 tops.

I get my relays at Summit, they have some nice ones. Don't worry about waterproofing, DC current doesn't really conduct in water. You can throw your car battery in a swimming pool and it wont do anything. Besides your relay should be under your dash.http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku