GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Worst day ever

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/06, 07:16 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dropped my car off yesterday morning at K&C Performance in Londonderry, NH to do my gears. I brought it there becuz I read on another forum they were good and only charged 200, sweet. I drop it off yesterday morning with the FRPP gears, lube, the $45 FRPP install kit, friction modifier and silicone. They told me $200, 300 tops. The owner had a drag race car in there that was his, I feel comfortable that this guy knows what he's doing.

I get a call later yesterday saying I didn't give them the pinion bearing and they would need to order it and might not get it done today now, blah blah blah. Fine. I get a ride to work again today, as of 2pm, no call from them. I give em a call, they say to call back in an hour. I call back in a hour, he says he's got it all back together and he'll call in an hour after he finishes up. He calls at 4:30, it's done blah blah blah, come get it. Then he's like oh I'm going to have to charge you extra because your rear end was a pain to take apart because it "has been beat on" (which I find strange because I had my ring and pinion done under warranty 1000 miles ago, where they did the same job). He says an extra $200 because it took him longer and the carrier bearing kit was $119, so $519 total. I can't female dog about it because there's nothing I can do. He's just going to keep my car until I pay it and I've already bummed rides for 2 days. I see the receipt, the $119 charge was for "OEM/PINION&CARRIER BEARINGS + RACERS".

I go pick the car up check engine light is on, something about cylinder head temperature and exhaust temperature sensor voltage I think, I was in a fury because of the ordeal so I cleared em. We'll see if those come back. I have a water temp gauge and it didn't go above 180, nor did it go off again on the way home.

It gets better, I figure after I paid $800 to do my gears (christ I can't believe I paid that much), I get a slight howl when the car is cruising out of gear. I'm figuring this is normal with 4.10s. We'll see what Mike says when I drive him around in it to get his impression.

Lessons learned, get a package deal from a speed shop on the whole thing and make them order the parts. that way they can be held accountable.

It gets worse, on my way home I get a call from my parents saying the garage was broken into. I get there and the top two sections of my dad's craftsman tool chest is gone (prolly had 1500 in tools in it), new chainsaw, air compressor tools I got him for x-mas, power drills. I'm lucky that they didn't take my Craftsman tool chest I just got for X-mas, it was right next to all the crap that was taken. I did have a plastic tool box on top of my chest that had my factory mustang shifter in it and new $170 Fluke multimeter along with my other electrical tools.

I hate people.
Old 3/7/06, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
REALLY sorry about your bad luck. On the bright side... things have got to improve!
Old 3/7/06, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/doh.gif[/img] Sorry to hear all that man. I smacked my head on the top of the bus today. Must be one of those unlucky days for us mustang guys.
Old 3/7/06, 07:38 PM
JLH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can feel for you, I could never pay $500+ just to have gears installed. It is not that technical of a job. I did my 4.10's myself. Took about 3-4 hours total.

Sorry to hear about your breakin. One thing I can't stand is theft, maybe you will get lucky and they will find who did it.

Where I live do not really have the problems with theft. I don't even take the keys out of my car.

Well if nothing else enjoy the gears.

JLH
Old 3/7/06, 07:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad news man, sorry.
Old 3/7/06, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

i am so glad i can do my own mods. i hate having to depend on other people to do anything for me. this guy should have contacted you before he decided to spend your money. if you put it on a credit card you can dispute it. the burden of proof will be on him.

sorry about the break in. i hate crooks and have been in your shoes before. so i feel for you
Old 3/7/06, 08:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] My heart goes out to you. I will spread the word on K&C as best I can. If you need any tools PM me. Let's just hope after all that has happened the gears are okay.
Old 3/7/06, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tx2005gt @ March 7, 2006, 9:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i am so glad i can do my own mods. i hate having to depend on other people to do anything for me. this guy should have contacted you before he decided to spend your money. if you put it on a credit card you can dispute it. the burden of proof will be on him.

sorry about the break in. i hate crooks and have been in your shoes before. so i feel for you
[/b][/quote]

people who steal ,should have their hands cut off

and gears shouldn't make noise, if set up correctly, and the ratio doesn't matter

and doing my own mods........priceless!!

jay
Old 3/7/06, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

What a bum day......hope things start looking up for you!
Other than the slight whine, how do you like the new ratio??

Paul
Old 3/7/06, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same " pounded on" issue when I had my 4.10's installed on my 03 GT. The installer told me that Ford uses a 20 ton press or so to get it on. So if it's canked when the press hits it guess what...you're screwed. My installer told me he was within 5 seconds of calling to tell me to come get the stang outta his garage. He said it took a lot of heating and pounding to finally get it off. Overall though it went smooth and no whine. I feel for ya. I think when I finally get my 06 GT I'm gonna just leave well enough alone with the gears,lol
Old 3/7/06, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

I feel for you brother.
Old 3/8/06, 06:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karman @ March 7, 2006, 9:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] My heart goes out to you. I will spread the word on K&C as best I can. If you need any tools PM me. Let's just hope after all that has happened the gears are okay.
[/b][/quote]

amen brother, anyone who's caught stealing should have their hand cut off. We work too darn hard for our stuff to have some darn fool come and take it away. If I ever catch anyone stealing from me I'll probably be on trial for man slaughter.

Sorry 'bout your bad day. It happens to the best of us. Let us know how you like the gears.
Old 3/8/06, 07:02 AM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] I feel yur pain, I had issues with FFRP GEARS HOWLING TOO. Well, I rolled the 05 Mustang GT M5, and replaced it with the 06 GT M5 and they've made some improvements, no popping etc. But the 06 is just as fast as the 05 and doesn't have the gear whine with the stock 3.55's. Also, with the 4.10's, I had to hit 4th JUST before the line and for that reason the stock 3.55's give faster track times, but the 4.10's are a kick on the street. My advice is to keep the stock gears, I won't change mine on this new '06.
Old 3/8/06, 07:12 AM

I feel your pain. Years ago I sent a 9" ford (4 pinion posi) ham to be rebuilt, and converted from 31 spline down to 28 ( Yes, I know, most people change them the other way, but axles cost money...).The shop did the job, and I took the rear home. Luckilly, I test fitted the axles first, before installing it( I have a feeling that I'm making a short story into a long one, sorry...). One side wan't changed over. I brought it back, and the flunky found the right part in his parts bin, and charged me a cash price for the part. Later on I finally found my receipts, and the guy had sold me my own spider gear.
Hang in there !
Dan
Old 3/8/06, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck Dustin. Hope things turn around real soon!
Old 3/8/06, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hang in there, I feel your pain.

I have had my share of homes, vehicles broken in to and it drives you nuts. There is another reason it should be legal to [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/uzi.gif[/img] someone. (I have a list of reasons [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] )

Three things in life I can't stand,
LIARS
CHEATERS
and
THIEVES
Old 3/8/06, 09:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wild stray @ March 8, 2006, 12:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What a bum day......hope things start looking up for you!
Other than the slight whine, how do you like the new ratio??
Paul
[/b][/quote]

It goes off the line a lot faster. First gear becomes useless after 4000 rpms, after that you don't move forward much. I think I'm around 2700 going 80 so it's not much of a RPM jump at highway speed. It does however make 5th gear functional, no need to downshift anymore to pass somebody. So I do like it, yes.
Old 3/8/06, 11:07 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(korinwoodo @ March 7, 2006, 6:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/doh.gif[/img] Sorry to hear all that man. I smacked my head on the top of the bus today. Must be one of those unlucky days for us mustang guys.
[/b][/quote]

It must of have. Yesturday at school I raised my mustang on the hoist and the Oil level Sensor was loose. Had some threads of it sticking out. I was like [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] . I raised it up to put on my new Flowmaster axle back. Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old 3/8/06, 11:39 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DjSaL @ March 8, 2006, 1:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It must of have. Yesturday at school I raised my mustang on the hoist and the Oil level Sensor was loose. Had some threads of it sticking out. I was like [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] . I raised it up to put on my new Flowmaster axle back. Sorry to hear about your experience.
[/b][/quote]

The one next to the oil filter? Mine stuck out like that until I relocated the sensor for a autometer gauge
Old 3/8/06, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck.

Quick Reply: Worst day ever